im lookin to get into reloading, need your advice

bigoledodge

im finally getting serious about reloading. im wondering what brands are economical yet good quality to buy. what brands are junk. any of the kits out there any good? just would hate to spend money to find out i bought a pos!

How much is in the budget? What will you be loading?Do you plan on shooting TONS of ammo or just plinking? Do you like good quality stuff that will last a lifetime or just something to get it done?That will probably help narrow things down!For me it was a RCBS kit and added from there.I still use most of the stuff from the kit also,so it was worth the $.I am sure that it will all outlast me,and it wasn't crazy expensive.There are cheap ways to go also and still get good tools.Buying used is a great way to start at a better price too,so there are lots of options.The guys here will be a huge help getting you going in the right direction.Good Luck!

Economical yet good: RCBS, Lee, Lyman (not necessarily in that order either).

Junk: Smart Reloader

I am not listing Hornady because I have been burned by their crappy CS in the past and won't do business with them.

Not so economical but good: Redding, Forster, Dillon.

Now, later on when you have a ton of brass that needs swaging, thats the time to go out and buy one of smart reloader's o'frame presses and beat the heck out of it with your swaging!

Rcbs redding or forster .... don't be afraid. To buy used presses. Rcbs chucker redding boss or forster coax... these presses. Will take abuse..

Last edited:
Look on Craig's list for a RCBS kit. Lots of people buy the kits and never open the box. The Rock Chucker Supreme press at Walmart, if you will be loading the belted magnums.

For starting out Lee products are a heck of a bang for your buck. I still use lots of Lee stuff - it just works, and works well. While you're at it pick up the 2nd edition of the Lee loading manual - fairly cheap and full of great info to get you started.

im not afraid to spend a little more money if i need to. right now would be loading 9mm pistol, 460 pistol, .243, 223, 30-06. been looking at the kits. those are cheap enough. would prob be willing to spend a little more $ to get some nicer stuff or replace something in a kit that would speed up the process or make something easier...

I too began reloading within the past year. I am lucky in that I have a friend who was a competition shooter and loader and has been a mentor. He gave me an old RCBS press and all of my other supplies have come from either Craigslist or ebay. All told I have less than $200 invested and have been able to turn out some decent loads.

I do like the RCBS but I can see there is room for improvement. I am looking at upgrading in the next couple of years as my reloading increases from just one caliber. When that time comes it will probably be Redding.

I think one of the best things to do when getting started is to get a good loading manual and read it, from cover to cover. Ask questions if you have any from someone you trust who has been loading for a long time. For me, it made the transition easy. I am by no means an expert but I do now have a good understanding and am able to safely produce quality ammo.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeRCBS kit is the way to go starting out.

I agree only I started with RCBS and am still using it. My Father reloaded so when I got out of the service and was on my own, there was no doubt that I would start and stick with reloading. That being said, I wanted good equipment that I wouldn't have to replace in the near future. RCBS was that equipment, not that there isn't other good equipment out there.

Buying the kit would save you some money by giving you the basic tools. You can then add more as time goes on and you feel the need for it.

Good Luck.
thumbup.gif

do the progressive presses only do certain calibers? i want something i can do any caliber i want as i will never know what gun i may come across in the future

Back