Model 1 sales uppers and kits

Ernest II

My wifes giving me the go ahead for a new ar upper, or I can wait and save some cash and get a whole new gun.Does anyone know much about the Model 1 Sales. They have a 20 in stainless upper for $375 another 4120 with bolt and BCG.They also Have a 20 in stainless varmint kit. The kit says it is complete less stripped lower.That confuses me unless its all the partys to build the lower and a cxomplete upper. I would have to find a stripped lower.ANyway I was curious what the brand is on those uppers and how they shoot.,
Thanks Daryl P.

You get what you pay for. By the time you end up upgrading all the components to do what you want, you can usually be very close to the price of a custom upper. That said, they do have a decent reputation for accuracy, and lots of people have and like their rifles.

And yes the complete kit is all the parts to assemble a rifle, minus the stripped lower.

I've built two rifles using their kits both stainless varmint one a 16" and one 24". Both shoot great, I did upgrade the triggers with RRA NM 2stage, which are well worth the money.

I believe I had about 600$ each in them when I was all done, that was including the price of the bare lower.

They're GTG in my book.

Originally Posted By: ricky_arthurYou get what you pay for. By the time you end up upgrading all the components to do what you want, you can usually be very close to the price of a custom upper. That said, they do have a decent reputation for accuracy, and lots of people have and like their rifles.

And yes the complete kit is all the parts to assemble a rifle, minus the stripped lower.

I can't speak from any personal experience, but I was looking at Model 1 sales myself because of how cheap their varmint uppers are, until a friend of mine told me to do some checking on them. A quick search over at ar15.com will show you they've got like a 50/50 reputation. 50% of the time peoples orders come out OK. the other 50% of the time peoples orders get messed up, some people where getting erroneous charges on their credit cards, had to cancel the cards, report it as credit card fraud, etc. and they grip about horrible customer service with Model 1.

Just an FYI, do some checking , and buy at your own risk.

I have a Model one 16" varmint in 5.56 with a gas block and tube, and FF tube. And I can guarntee that the free float tube and barrel nut are not one piece. $180 shipped.

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8I've built two rifles using their kits both stainless varmint one a 16" and one 24". Both shoot great, I did upgrade the triggers with RRA NM 2stage, which are well worth the money.

I believe I had about 600$ each in them when I was all done, that was including the price of the bare lower.

They're GTG in my book.

Complete kit plus lower plus RRA trigger for $600??

Originally Posted By: HibsOriginally Posted By: ricky_arthurYou get what you pay for. By the time you end up upgrading all the components to do what you want, you can usually be very close to the price of a custom upper. That said, they do have a decent reputation for accuracy, and lots of people have and like their rifles.

I can't speak from any personal experience, but I was looking at Model 1 sales myself because of how cheap their varmint uppers are, until a friend of mine told me to do some checking on them. A quick search over at ar15.com will show you they've got like a 50/50 reputation. 50% of the time peoples orders come out OK. the other 50% of the time peoples orders get messed up, some people where getting erroneous charges on their credit cards, had to cancel the cards, report it as credit card fraud, etc. and they grip about horrible customer service with Model 1.

Just an FYI, do some checking , and buy at your own risk.

That ain't cool. I haven't heard about that.

They are at knob creek every show. I have bought a crap load of parts from them over the years and can't remember ever having an issue with anything. They have always been awsome to deal with.

I reguard to ar15.com. take that with a grain of salt. Been on the forum for years and it seems for the most part if your gun did not cost you 2k or your parts arn't being used on someone deemed important's gun, it is junk. Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: biggen0_8I've built two rifles using their kits both stainless varmint one a 16" and one 24". Both shoot great, I did upgrade the triggers with RRA NM 2stage, which are well worth the money.

They're GTG in my book.

Complete kit plus lower plus RRA trigger for $600??

Sorry didn't mean to mislead, triggers would have been over and above the $600

I got one through them and had absolutely no issues... Mine was built, shipped and charged exactly how it should have been.

Keep one thing in mind. On average complainers will ALWAYS take the time to complain, however, a happy person usually does not say much.

Here is a pic of mine (20" stainless A3 upper):

IMG_0283.JPG

and it can shoot:

IMG_0289.JPG

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8Slugger; what profile is that barrel, looks pretty slim from what I can see. Wish I would have went that way on mine.

Biggen,

It started out as this kit item:

http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=184

Under the choose barrel option, I went with the 1x8 stainless with a2 flash hider. Obviously, there
are a few other upgrades I did in the options, such as the Float Tube, front sight block, etc..

Built a few rifles with a friend right before Obama came into office with Model1 uppers. They took a while to come in due to the political climate but otherwise things came in fine, no erroneous credit card charges. They may not be "high end" but they aren't bad uppers or rifles by any means. It might be money well spent however to get a higher end BCG right off the bat. That's what we did on our Model 1 Builds (LMT BCG). We sell the Spike's Tactical BCG for $114.95 which is a great deal for an M16 BCG that has HPT/MPI testing.

Last edited:
I have a Model 1 Sales 16" varmit upper on a Plum Crazy lower. I have zero issues with it and it shoots great!!
Customer service was also good.
015.jpg

016.jpg

I use a Model one sales upper on my hunting ar. When I was in Iraq, last year, I had forgotten that I had put a 200.00 limit on my debit card (in case it was stolen), so when I placed the order I got an email stating that the payment was declined. I then emailed them back and explained what happened and asked them to do two different payments so that it would go through. I also changed my order and went from the ss barrel to just a heavy barreled blued barrel. They did both and everything was waiting for me when I got home on leave. Great customer service and the thing is a shooter!

I have had quite a few,,my sons ar still has one of the uppers up on top of it.

Every one of thems been shooters,,,never a issue with qc or customer service.

X

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerMy varmint uppper shoots ~1/2 moa all day.

Mine too. It has the 24" barrel with a 1-14" twist and I have let people shoot it that have never pulled the trigger on an AR before that have shot 5 into a dime at 100 yards with it. I would almost rather forget my pants than leave my Model 1 home on a varmint hunt.

Back