Live Trap Size For Bobcats

TeamOR

just wondering what size of live traps everyone is having the best luck with. i use a 2" X 2" and 4" long live trap and seems to work well. any tricks or tips for next season.

Guineas as bait. Set two traps up within range of each other. The guineas talk and draw everything in. Had a guy around here catch 18 cats in a week and a half using that trick.

11 inches wide 20 inches tall and atleast 36" to 42" long

I have some of camtrap cages and also some briarpatch cages.
plus a few dozen with the best parts of both traps.
work really well
we use 1"x1" welded wire with no internal frame work.

Good luck. If you rotate them out and your bait holder in your trap is good enough you wont loose very many birds if any.. I rotate mine out when I check them the next day..

fox like the cat sets too... GRIN

Caged_Fox.jpg

I caught a coyote in my live trap this last season....I was always told they wont go in a live trap so I was quite surprised. The trap was 2'x2'x4' so maybe the bigger traps makes a diffence but its the only one ive ever caught and i have trapped for at least 10 years. You would have better luck with a snare or foot trap.

He has a good set up short of the wire inside they will work fine for everything but a coyote I believe as the wire alone will spook them I sell five foot long double doors for cats that have one of the best triggering systems made in my opinion, I only know of one coyote caught in them out of about 150 traps. Not that anyone is specificly setting for coyotes the guy just had the right bait at the rght time. If you are serious about trying to get coyotes in boxes, large is the way to go with an irristable bait in it preferably live and making some noise, just my opinion, I'm sure you can find some expert somewhere that would divulge his secerts some where, good luck in finding him or her.

2012-03-02_11-38-38_284.jpg

2011-05-22_01-43-39_146.jpg

None of these traps are Kirk DeKalbs Advanced Traps however these are all adult Coyotes trapped in a Live Catch Trap. I hear a lot of guys always saying that there is no way to catch coyotes other than pups in a live catch trap. We you can see for yourself that these are not pups and they are in the traps that they were caught in. I can say that Kirk has a excellent design trap for coyotes. I have seen them in person however I have never had the luxury to own one and set one. Maybe one day. I say this to say don't discount a certain trap based on the group saying it cant happen. Try it before you form your opinion. See more of Kirks Traps at Advanced Trap

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Benellihave you seen the new coyote trap at advance traps. He claims it will get a coyote.

http://www.trappintales.com/AT/coyotedog.html

any thoughts before I spend 520 bucks...shipping is getting crazy

I have seen this trap in person and its well worth the money. I have not had the pleasure of setting this trap myself. I have seen it and would love to have one. The price prevents me from having one right now. I do have several of Kirks traps and they are professional quality traps and well worth the money. The wire trigger system on these traps increase your catch by up to 40 percent. As for his dog/ coyote traps he uses a multi set trigger. They can be set set as a hanging wire trigger-( standard or4 way), pan wire trigger, Bite and pull, push metal trigger, or a standard adjustable tensioned metal step on pan. So the comment above about the wires spooking coyotes does not have to apply as you can change up the trigger mechanism to any of the other options on this trap

#31 Coyote Dog Trap.

I wonder if results would vary between 'suburban' and more rural coyotes? I saw a coyote 5 days ago in the predawn darkness trotting through suburbia. Those coyotes get used to people things.

I am not sure on your question however I can say that the coyotes I am called about in cities are more relaxed around people than the county Coyotes. These two caught in live catch traps above were trapped in the country on a Chicken Farm. No where close to the city.

Back