Nikon scope questions

Jackal87

I have been trying to decide on a scope. most shots like you all say are between 50-150 yards so most 3-9`s would work around my area but I can jump up to a 4-14 for around double the price 160$ prostaff/300$ Buckmasters. I can still crank it down to 4x and gain up to 14x for shooting/plinking once in a while. They do offer a 4-12x40 prostaff for 160ish also but will I have alot of problems without the AO lets say shooting paper plates at 300 yards? I still want to be able to hangout at the house and do some paper plate/clay shooting. working on alittle range @ home
smile.gif

The 4.5x14x40 Buckmaster with the side focus works great, I have 2 on my 700's One on a 22-250 the other a mil-dot on a 30-06 both worth the $$$.

I have a prostaff in 3-9x40. Its alright. I have a 4.5-14x40 buckmaster with sf, it is much better. I would recomend the buckmaster with a sf.

Jack, The Buckmaster is the better scope but the PROSTAFF 4-12 BDC can reach out and touch whatever you want from long range. My Father In-Law used one this year on his T/C Icon .308 to harvest 4 Kansas deer including a nice buck. All shot's were inside of 300 yards. 4 shot's 4 deer. Lack of parallax adjustment did not seem to make a difference for him. On the other hand I am a big fan of the Buckmaster 4.5-14 BDC Scope. I like the added parallax adjustment on my scope's but have no problem shooting one's that do not. Check them out and see which one you like best and which one will fit your needs.

Thanks guys I have been leaning towards the buckmaster just that the 14.5 long scope on a small 18in ar kinda turned me off but I think it will be ok

I have the 4-12 prostaff niko-plex on my 700 and I like it alot. I had the buckmaster 4-14 with sf and it seemed that you had to have a still shot,then focus and shoot,to me that was to much time and drove me nuts.

I really like the 4.5-14x40 Buckmasters. You can play with the SF of you want. I do at the range only. When hunting, I have the scope at 4.5x and SF set to 100.

Now, if I had a longer (300 yd) shot, I would play with the SF. If you want a good compact scope, check out the Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32 AO. Very nice, lower profile scope.

I will never own a scope over 10x without parallax adjustment.

I have 3 of the 4x-12x-50 SF Buckmasters. I love them for low light hunting whether for predators or deer. While hunting I too set mine on 100yds and only change focus if necessary which is unusual. They take a beating and can handle some stout recoil. The reticle is nice and heavy for quick acquisition, yet small enough to be accurate.

Originally Posted By: Jackal87I have been trying to decide on a scope. most shots like you all say are between 50-150 yards so most 3-9`s would work around my area but I can jump up to a 4-14 for around double the price 160$ prostaff/300$ Buckmasters. I can still crank it down to 4x and gain up to 14x for shooting/plinking once in a while. They do offer a 4-12x40 prostaff for 160ish also but will I have alot of problems without the AO lets say shooting paper plates at 300 yards? I still want to be able to hangout at the house and do some paper plate/clay shooting. working on alittle range @ home
smile.gif

If you look around you mat be able to get a buckmaster for less than 300.00 in 4.5x14x40 sf,and a buckmaster 3x9x40 should be able to find for right at 200.00.
I have a prostaff 3-9-40,3 3-9-40 buckmaster,1 4.5-14-40sf buckmaster.1 monark 3-12-42 sf,1 monark 5-20-42sf.
there all very nice.
for the money the prostaff is impressive.

I would also recommend the buckmasters over the pro staff. It just all around is a better scope IMO. No matter what, Nikon makes quality products, so you just need to choose what will fit your needs the best!

If a guy wanted a nice compact scope for a good price he could pic the PROSTAFF 2-7 Shotgun Hunter BDC 200. You could then dial in the distance's using Spot on to fit what ever cal. you choose to use.
On another money saving idea, Nikon is runnig their Precision and Longrange Rifle Scope promomtion right now. Up to $100 off some scope guys.
Check it out.

http://www.nikonpromo.com/precision.php

I have a buckmasters 6-18x40 with SF and BDC reticle on my 25/06. I love it...in comparison I have a 6-18X40 Leupold on my 22-250 and actually prefer the Nikon. The Nikon is clear, the spot-on program gets you pretty darn close, and the eye relief is better than the Leupold. The Leupold is a good clear scope too, but has touchy eye relief...especially when turned up past 12 power.
My other 25/06 has a pro-staff 3-9X40 on it, and it is a clear scope that I've never had any issues with.

I also really like the Burris fullfield ll I have on my 7mm/08. It is a 3-9X40 with the ballistic reticle in it. I did actually have a warranty problem with this scope, after about a year it got a black streak in it that looked like an inner lens was starting to crack. I noticed it after the rifle's groups opened up to about 3 inches. I sent it in and they had a brand new one at my door in about 10 days. Top notch turn-around IMO.

I have two 4.5-14x40mm nikon buckmasters, one with the bdc reticle and one with mildots. I prefer the mildots, since they have a little cleaner look than the bdc. However, they are both handy when you use the Nikon spot-on program with them. I believe the prostaffs are now fully multicoated, so that's an improvement over the old prostaffs.

In my opinion, nikons are excellent valued scopes. Good glass for a good price. I have really can't think of any reason to replace my buckmasters. Or even my old prostaff.

got my buckmasters 4.5-14x40 today..reticle is messed up right out of the box the 2nd mildot down had a huge piece of what looks like the thick part of the crosshairs in the middle of the mildot so im sending it back for 280$ it should be perfect..not looking to good for nikons qc..but dont know if im going to go now back now everybody is out of stock of the mil-dot and i called nikon and they dont know when a replacement will be back in stock ..the 4.5 is alot of zoom if one runs up on you from just looking across my front field. any other suggestions for a good 4-12 or 3-12 with a AO under 300$ here in va they is a good chance of close shots also..but some long ones too kinda sucks choosing a one in between. love the mildots though very nice when using the spoton program might have to go with another company since every mildot nikon is out of stock and no in stock date available

Last edited:
Well I ordered a monarch 3-12x42 since I liked having the 3x for the close up shots we have to deal with in virginia. Then I found out about the m-223. It looks like the monarch in the specs but can be had in mildot with 55gr bullet drop turrets and a scope mount for just alittle more. Seems likes it would be a awesome setup for somebody looking for a medium range ar scope at a great price!! I have seen some great reviews on youtube.

J., The M-223 does not come in a Mildot, BDC and Rapid Action Turret only in the 3-12 or 2-8's. They are built on the MONARCH platform and have been outstanding performers.
I think you will be very pleased with the 3-12 you have on the way. At the very lest if you ever decide to put the 3-12 on a deer rifle you can come back with a M-223 Scope.
Make sure you check out Spot ON to further dial in your scope, rifle and ammo.

Back