Anyone Using July Hounds and/or Blue Lacys???

Bandadog

I've mostly used Catahoulas, BMCs, and Mtn. Curs, Blue Lacys, along with Plott Hounds for find and bay dogs on Wild Hogs/Boars, along with Pit Bulls for Catchdogs. Due to the exploding Coyote population, along with some Texas Counties paying decent bounties, and its been my experience that using Dogs produce more of whatever you are hunting, I'm trying to put together a real good pack of Coyote Dogs. I've heard real good things about July Hounds in thick brush, and my experience with Blue Lacys & Wild Hogs have shown they can work thick brush, and are plenty gritty. Most of the Coyotes in the area are 25-35 pounders, but I do work some land in southwest Louisiana that has them Wolf/Coyote hybrids, and can be 45-55 pounds. I'd like to know how either of these breeds are working out for others who work Coyotes in thick brush. Thanks for any info.

Hi Bandadog I Hunt Coyotes With Hounds Here In
NH I Use Croghan Breed Walker Hounds. My Hunting
Buddy Has July Hounds Thay Are Good Hounds There
Is A Guy Over In Maine That Has Some Pups Eight
Weeks Old That Are Liquor/Croghan Breed Pups
For Sale $100.00ea. I Think Any Good Breed
Running Hound Wakers Or Julys Are Good On Coyotes.
Or Fox. Do You Get The Hunters Horn Mag. There
Is Alot Of Good Info In There For You On Hunting
Coyotes With Hounds.Good Luck To You And Run
Them Hounds.

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey Steve, You ever done any work with Blue Lacys? They are part Coyote, part Greyhound, and part Scent Hound. Fast, with plenty of grit, and train easily...... Most of the Walkers down here are Coon Dogs, and there are plenty of them, along with Black & Tans and Blue Ticks. Not too many July Hounds, so I'm looking for a source for some pups off proven stock that are used on Coyotes, and will not hesitate to engage Coyotes...... Bounties are good in quite a few counties, as they are hitting sheep and goat ranchers hard...... I've been hunting Wild Hogs for many years, and they must be taken alive to sell, and they are only bringing 50 cents a pound on the hoof for ones 250 pounds and over, smaller ones quite a bit less, they are hard on Dogs, and I'm getting too old to wrestle them. We can't just stick them like the Aussies do down under, then take it to a Cooler..... I've tried both Calling and Calling with a Decoy Dog, but it's hasn't been productive enough so far, once one knows what Dogs can do in pursuit of any prey. The problem isn't getting Coyotes to come in, but the terrain limits the number of good shoot opportunities...... On the Walkers you running, did you create a good line of Coyote Dogs by line breeding and hard culling? Have you ever run them in the south or southwest, or sold any to someone that runs them in the south or southwest, as temps. here are a lot warmer than in the New England states? The Hog Dogs I run can go all year, even summer, if you run them a few hours before dawn, and load up by 9:00 A.M...... Post or e-mail me about your Hounds, and when you will have some pups, so I'll have a better idea of what you have there. Mainly interested in a good nose, speed, and plenty of grit to engage a Coyote or multiple Coyotes. I've also read some post, and heard of Dogs that bay up Coyotes, and although it's not what I would expect, after years of running rough Hog Dogs, if it works, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks for your time and trouble.

I don't know much about croghans but will add what I know, they were a strain of walkers developed by a guy named Bill Croghan in kansas for coyote. I know of some croghans being hunted here on bear in Idaho and if these dogs are typical of the croghan dogs they have all the grit you ever need.

Hi I Started Out With Pups And It Took Alot Of Hard Work But I Finnly Got A Good Pack Of Hounds.
That Run Great Togeith And Run To Catch And They
Bay And Fight Hard I Got To Of My Hounds Out
Of Canada Off Of Hedgy. And Tow Pups Off
Of Tim And Kirk in Maine I Head Some Pups Last
Fall And Sold Them All But Two Males I Kept
Tim Has Some Pups Eight Weeks Old For Sale $100.00
ea. I Have A Half Sister Too Them That Was The
Mother Of My Pups That Does a good job. i now Hedgy has some hounds for sale. if you would
like i will get his tel number for you. and tim
tel number to. these croghan breed hounds run to
catch and have the grit. good luck and run them hounds.

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back