65 grain GameKing .223 AR ?

smith1559

Just went to the range and shot some loads with the 65g GameKing and Varget. Lets just say none impressed me very much. I want to stick with the GameKing But I need to try Some different powders. What powder would you guys try next? I am shooting a 20 inch 1-8 Twist DPMS upper. Any suggestions would be great....Thanks Jason

How come your trying to shoot such a big bullet with your 223?
Try something smaller. I'm shooting a 52 gr GK with Varget in my 22/250 and I'm getting 3800 fps and "Same" hole accrisey...

I used H335 to push the 65Gamekings in my 1:8 Dtech .223. Really liked 'em and now I'm runnin those same 65Gkings ~600fps faster from a Dtech .223Wizzer and I really, REALLY like em!
laugh.gif
It does require a bit more powder though...
wink.gif

I shot 24g to 26g in .5 increments. None shot under a 1.250 group. I shoot the heavier bullets for shooting longer distances with less drift...I have been shooting 69g SMKs I just want to try more of a hunting bullet...Jason

I recently tried the 65 GameKings in my 20" RR Predator Pursuit 1:8 twist.

It liked 26.4 grains of Varget best shooting clover leafs. Winchester brass, CCI primers. It'll likely be my bullet of choice when I choose to shoot mid sized game.

Don't have a velocity as it started snowing and my chrony quit reading.
frown.gif

If you have any AA2520 on hand give it a try, my 223 with 65gr. sierra's shoot's better than I can! I have a load of 26.4gr. 2520 as my max, so if you try it "WORK UP TO IT..........

Steve

Due to boredom I'm going to load up a few with 2520,going by the AA reload data web start load is 22.7gr,max is 25.2 gr. so like said be sure to work up.

Last edited:
Steve I loaded some with aa2520 with 25gr. and they shot good so now to work on the perfect load with it.Did you use standard or mag primers,I used standard wsr.

I have excellent results with this bullet and varget. Im loading 26.4 of varget and .010 off the lands. I'm getting just over 3000 fps from 22 inch 1in9 barrel. This is one of my best reloads.

Go back to the 69s. I just did some loading with the 69 nosler custom comps and 26.1gr varget and they shot real nice. Not as well as the tax in my bolt, but I'm happy with it. Mines also a 20"

Back