Favorite power scope for coyote hunting AR?

Originally Posted By: 6724i guess i must not know what i am doing. i run a fixed 12x. but dont tell the 200 or so coyotes i have killed. 12 so far this year, 25 last year, 39 before that and 21 the year before that.

i have only had 3 or 4 in the last 3 years that i couldnt get in the scope.

Whatever works for you.

I switched my 16" 6x45 to a Weaver V3 with a Burris PEPR, and I was amazed how close it was to being zero'd right out of the box. I shot it at 25 yards and it was a perfect 2" low straight dow from center X. Stepped it out to 100 with out making any changes and it was about an inch low, 2" right of being dead center. I made a correction twice more and and shot a 3 shoot group that was right at an inch. I felt like this is pretty good for my first time out shooting at 100 yard with a 3x. Not to mention I had a 19 MPH wind holding slightly over 1/4 value.
SDC12029.jpg

SD Grendel in background has a Nikon Prostaff 4-12 Mil-dot in a RRA cantilever.

I hunt northern Michigan hardwoods with some fields. When I call in the deep woods I use a Vortex SPARC with a small 2MOA red dot on my AR15 .223 which offers 2 eyes open fast shooting.

When I hunt the wider open spaces with my Howa 1500 I use a Buckmaster 4.5x14 and it doubles as a great target scope.

I run a Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x40 on my 6x45 and love it! Would like to get another for the 17 rem. It has a 6.5-20-40 leupold and I want something a little smaller on it. I have an extra 3200 3x9 that is probably going on it. I do have a SPARC that I haven't used yet but heard really good things about

Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40, but I am thinking I want to switch to the 4.5-14x42 for the longer shots and range shooting.

The old tried and true 3x9 variable is hard to beat, especially if shots aren't over large, open spaces.

If I hunted places where long shots were the norm, I might want to go up to a 12X or 14X at the upper end, and even a 16X might not be too bad, depending on the shot being taken.

Save your money and get the best of both worlds!
I run a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5 to 16 by 50 30mm tube.
You can't beat it, low power with a huge field of view, or 16 zoom for the far shots. I have had one for 2 years now and love it for hunting dogs. They run around $800 but well worth the coin.

I have a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 on my 16" .223 AR and it stays on 3x. On my 6x45 AR is a Mueller 2-7 and it stays on 2x. I used to use fixed 10x's, but with age comes wisdom(one day I'll get there) and I switched.

Chupa

I have 2, 6X18's and 1, 3X9. I like the variables as you can always them up or down depending on the conditions. I want A/O's on mine also.
Flyrodder

I've switched to the Less is More school. Got a 1-4x Accupoint on mine now. Love how the scope disappears at 1x with both eyes open.

I am somewhere in the 2-8x32, 3-9x40, and 4-16x50 range. it depends more on the gun.

smaller calibers / brush guns - I like lower magnification, smaller foot print/profile (less to get caught on tree limbs), and lighter. (cheaper to replace should the gun get knocked out of its rack when you hit a hole)

Bigger caliber / longer bolt guns - I like more magnification for long shots as they present themselves. typically used from a stand or platform in a trimmed/maintained area. transported in a hard case so they are less likely to be damaged from rough pastures, not used for quick shots of opportunity.

Originally Posted By: Jeff MockNightforce 2.5-10 x 32, velocity 600 reticle...

380995_2639184987677_1375112577_n.jpg

Jeff, Can you tell me more about this rifle? Love the butt stock with adjustable cheek piece. Why the one piece base and rings? Is this for QR purposes?

Back