pvs-14 what scope do you use

bgabbert

hello everyone ....im new here and hope this post isnt in the wrong forum....ive searched the inet high and low but cant ever find the info i need...

i have a pvs-14 and have been using it behind an eotech 552,which is fine,but i want to put a scope on the gun ... the problem is some scopes you can see the crosshair others you cant(with the pvs behind the scope)the only scopes that work that i have tried have a diopter adjusment on them ...i want to buy a higher end scope for daytime use but one that will also be usable by the pvs-14 at night...

so my question is for anyone that has a pvs-14 and the scope you use at night in front of the pvs-14.

thanks for any replies

bgabbert, welcome to PM forums.

On the PVS and 552, did that all fit on a flattop AR?

It seems like the scope plus the PVS would run out of real estate on it.

yes the 552 and pvs mount with no problems ... taking the 552 off and putting on the scope does leave the scope mounted a bit forward but its workable ...

i just want to find out what scopes show up the crosshair when looking thru the pvs ...

i may be better off just getting a 2nd upper ...1 for daytime one for night ...

For now I have my PVS-14 behind a Nikon Monarch 3-12-42 BDC scope. It works pretty good, I have shot paper a few times and on a pretty dark night it works good up to about 6X, on a clear moon lit night I would say that you would be safe to turn it up to 8X. Obviously it is not QUITE as clear as just looking through the PVS-14 but for now it is a pretty good setup.

Soon I am probably going to be picking up a EOTech XPS3-0 with the magnifier for daytime, and the PVS-14 magnifier for night.

Its not that I don't necessarily like the Monarch setup, its great to have the higher magnification, but I absolutely love a good red dot sight.

Here are a few pics of my current setup. I have a PVS-14 to Scope adaptor but it seems to work just as good without it, and it takes up about a inch or so less rail space without it as well.

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0107.jpg

Makes for one heavy rifle!

If I go out tonight I might take a few pics looking through the PVS-14/Scope and I can show you what it is like. Crosshairs show up real good.

Last edited:
looks alot like my gun : ) RRA-lar8 ...
good to know the Nikon works ....thanks for the info.

heading to the hunting lease ...will check back later.

I use a Nikon Monarch 2.5 x 10x, 50mm front objective that works nice. I really haven't found any scopes that will not work with the PVS 14 with the exception that any scope with a low setting magnification of higher than 4x will not give you enough field of view when searching for an incoming predator. The higher power settings will also reduce the light enhancing capability of the NV monocular. If you are purchasing a scope specifically for use with the PVS 14 I suggest a lower power setting of 2.5x or lower and the high side doesn't matter that much. I've taken several coyotes at 250 to 350 yards set on 2.5x. Also a 50mm or larger front objective lens will improve NV performance. Eye relief is not a problem if you get one of our slipover stock extenders. For 2012, the stock extenders are included with all of our Day/Night mounting devices for the PVS 14 and the MX 160. Click on our banner and check our our Signature Series Scopes or Day/Night Conversion Kits for the PVS 14s or MX 160's. Give me a call if you have questions. Kevin

I have a PVS-14. Honestly, for night hunting I keep it off the gun and use it as a monocular. I use it to watch the dogs as they get closer and closer, then when they are within shooting distance, I flip a bright white light on, get a nice clear picture through the scope, and fire.

The problem with mounting the unit on the gun, is that it's harder to scan the whole area around you, and there's always the safety concern if you start scanning around for targets using a loaded rifle - real easy to have an accident that way.

I bet if you emailed or called the guys at Tactical Night Vision, they might be willing to give you a suggestion or two about scopes that might work nicely with the PVS14s.

Cheers

Originally Posted By: recurryI have a PVS-14. Honestly, for night hunting I keep it off the gun and use it as a monocular. I use it to watch the dogs as they get closer and closer, then when they are within shooting distance, I flip a bright white light on, get a nice clear picture through the scope, and fire.

The problem with mounting the unit on the gun, is that it's harder to scan the whole area around you, and there's always the safety concern if you start scanning around for targets using a loaded rifle - real easy to have an accident that way.

I bet if you emailed or called the guys at Tactical Night Vision, they might be willing to give you a suggestion or two about scopes that might work nicely with the PVS14s.

Cheers

Actually our Day/Night mounting devices allow you to use the PVS 14 for scanning. Once you locate the predator coming to the call you simply snap the PVS 14 on the back of your scope and take the shot. Nothing can be simpler than that and it is much safer and easier than scanning through your scope. Check them out here: http://www.hightechredneckincorporated.com/Night_Vision_Scopes_s/2.htm

Recurry.....Seems to me like you would be forced to take a lot of running shots with your technique since I have never known a coyote that would stand still for a bright white light suddenly cast upon it at close range or any range for that matter. Do they just stand there when you blast them with the light ? Kevin

Originally Posted By: HTRN57
Actually our Day/Night mounting devices allow you to use the PVS 14 for scanning. Once you locate the predator coming to the call you simply snap the PVS 14 on the back of your scope and take the shot. Nothing can be simpler than that and it is much safer and easier than scanning through your scope. Check them out here: http://www.hightechredneckincorporated.com/Night_Vision_Scopes_s/2.htm

Those look awesome - great idea!

Recurry.....Seems to me like you would be forced to take a lot of running shots with your technique since I have never known a coyote that would stand still for a bright white light suddenly cast upon it at close range or any range for that matter. Do they just stand there when you blast them with the light ? Kevin

I've never had light bother them too much here in the farm country. Bright light seemed to spook them more when I lived in New Mexico, but these dogs around here don't seem to care all that much when you light them up. I think it's the area. The places where I hunt are all in a kind of transition zone between a busy town and the farms, so the dogs are kind of used to lights, noise, cars, people, etc.

I use a Stinger LED flashlight, with a flip-up red lens cover, then when they get close enough that I can get eye shine with the red light, I put the NV down and switch to looking through my scope - takes a second to get the scope on the eyes, but as soon as I have the eye shine in the scope, I flick the lens cover up and light them up.

Yeah, not as easy as mounting the unit directly on the gun, but there are just so many houses and stuff around where I hunt there are lots of places where you want to "look" for an incoming animal, but you don't want to be pointing the rifle, so I have to stick with using the NV by hand.

Originally Posted By: recurryOriginally Posted By: HTRN57

Those look awesome - great idea!

I've never had light bother them too much here in the farm country. Bright light seemed to spook them more when I lived in New Mexico, but these dogs around here don't seem to care all that much when you light them up. I think it's the area. The places where I hunt are all in a kind of transition zone between a busy town and the farms, so the dogs are kind of used to lights, noise, cars, people, etc.

I use a Stinger LED flashlight, with a flip-up red lens cover, then when they get close enough that I can get eye shine with the red light, I put the NV down and switch to looking through my scope - takes a second to get the scope on the eyes, but as soon as I have the eye shine in the scope, I flick the lens cover up and light them up.

Yeah, not as easy as mounting the unit directly on the gun, but there are just so many houses and stuff around where I hunt there are lots of places where you want to "look" for an incoming animal, but you don't want to be pointing the rifle, so I have to stick with using the NV by hand.

You definately need to consider getting the PVS 14 behind your scope.....you are really not using all the leverage of having a nice NV device like that. I left a link for you on another string....you can still use the PVS 14 for scanning without it being on your rifle.

Back