14 Ackley Hornet is Started

eurosport

Well my 14 caliber 15 gr bullets and reloading dies arrived yesterday from Reed's Ammo. I made some 14 AH brass but do not have a chamber to try it in. I sent Browning Micro Medallion and a 17 cal Shilen Super Match barrel with it to Marty at Twisted Barrel. The 14 cal barrel I picked up from Carl at Extreme Accuracy in Washington state. He is shipping it to Marty. Marty is building me a switch barrel Browning. Here is the process I used to form Winchester 22 Hornet brass to 14 AH.

1) I lubed 22 Hornet case and ran it through my 17 AH seating die.
2) I then ran case through 14 AH seating die.
3) I then ran case through 14 AH Full Length sizing die.

At this point I loaded my first 14 AH for fire forming when my rifle is ready!!

Very painless and simple procedure. I also did a couple with a few more forming steps using my 17 AH forming dies. These additional steps did not result in my finished product to be any better quality.

Picture #1 is the four stages of brass as it is formed and the dies I used.

14ah003-1.jpg

Picture 2 is the brass in the different forming stages. 22 Hornet, 17 AH seating die, 14 AH seating and final step 14 AH full length sizer.

14ah009-1.jpg

BHB

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eurosportWell my 14 caliber 15 gr bullets and reloading dies arrived yesterday from Reed's Ammo. I made some 14 AH brass but do not have a chamber to try it in. I sent Browning Micro Medallion and a 17 cal Shilen Super Match barrel with it to Marty at Twisted Barrel. The 14 cal barrel I picked up from Carl at Extreme Accuracy in Washington state. He is shipping it to Marty. Marty is building me a switch barrel Browning. Here is the process I used to form Winchester 22 Hornet brass to 14 AH.

1) I lubed 22 Hornet case and ran it through my 17 AH seating die.
2) I then ran case through 14 AH seating die.
3) I then ran case through 14 AH Full Length sizing die.

At this point I loaded my first 14 AH for fire forming when my rifle is ready!!

Very painless and simple procedure. I also did a couple with a few more forming steps using my 17 AH forming dies. These additional steps did not result in my finished product to be any better quality.

Picture #1 is the four stages of brass as it is formed and the dies I used.

14ah003-1.jpg

Picture 2 is the brass in the different forming stages. 22 Hornet, 17 AH seating die, 14 AH seating and final step 14 AH full length sizer.

14ah009-1.jpg

BHB

How do you load those small bullets......with tweezers
lol.gif
j/k Very cool round.

I'm interested in the ballistics. What velocities are you expecting?
Are there commercially available .14 bullets? BCs?

How does this compare to the 14 Flea or 14 squirrel in speed?

Oiltowncaller, they actually tried some down to 8 caliber. There was a 14/221, 14 squirrel and a 10 squirrel that I've read about.

That looks like a lot of fun. I'm also curious as to what your planning to shoot with it. Are there typically issues stabilizing those little bullets to keep them from tumbling?

This will be mostly a PD gun and small varmints.I have never shot a 14 caliber. I am told the different weight bullets make a huge difference in terminal effect. My first batch of 100 bullets are 15 gr. I expect to get 4200-4300 fps.
Loading these bullets does not cause anymore grief than my 17s of which I have 13 different cartridges in 17.
This cartridge will run about 9 grains of powder. It will be faster than the 14 Squirrel and the Flea. It will be slower with the HEAVY bullets 17.5 gr than the 14/221.
I am running a 1 in 7" twist rate. This should handle the heavies.

Bob

Back