calling lions

coyote12

I have been calling coyotes for about 8 years now. One of my goals however is to take a lion by calling it up. I have tried for two seasons now and with no success. Can anyone offer some suggestions. I usually hunt in areas where lions have been spotted or where they are killing livestock. I use both hand calls and electronic callers. I know it can be done. Just need to know if there are any special tricks that someone could share?

Not only can be done, but has been done and will be done again. No real big secrets to it. The hardest part about calling lions is to be where they are, when they are. Lions are roamers, and they cover a lot of real estate. Use the search function of this forum. There is a lot of information already on file here. If you are hunting where lions are known to be, and have killed livestock, that's half the battle. If you can find a real fresh kill, you should have it made. Keep at it, and you will connect.

fdc68727.jpg

I agree, the biggest problem is being in the same area as the lion. You need fresh sign, like either a kill or fresh tracks. Its best if you go after a recent snow. Lions can travel 20 or more miles a night so the fresh signs are almost vital. I start by finding fresh tracks and ill follow them until I see them heading into an area that looks like the lion might be denning in for the day. Around here they are usually up in the rocky mountain tops and overhangs. They like to see out over the terrain from where they are denning to watch for danger. Once I find a area that looks promising ill set up and start calling. I keep the tracks that I can see heading into the area to my front because there is a good chance that if the lion is up there it will take the same route back down.
It will probably come down on the sneak so watch carefully. If you are calling to a rocky hill top or overhang pay close attention to that area when you first start your calling, There is a good chance that it will come out and take a look before heading down or deciding its not worth it. It may just sit up there and watch to try and locate what its hearing.
I like decoys for lions because they move very slowly and you need all the distraction in a different location. I set decoys to my rear where I dont anticapate the lion to come from.
I feel that lions tend to look out farther and dont pay as much attention to things closer when they are fixed on prey. Not proven just my observation from watching them respond. With the decoy behind you and if everything works out like you have planned the lion may stalk right past you. Or at least try (Dont let it get past you if it comes in).
You need to blow your calls longer with less dead time between calls. The cats seem to loose intrest easily. Stay on your set up longer,
I usally stop after 1 hour. Hear the best time seems to be first light.
This isnt all gospel (is gospel a bad word yet) but it should get you in the right direction. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Im sure you will get more advise here from others. Just take what applys to your situation and you can come up with something that will work for you.
Good Luck, keep us posted

Thank you for the information. I'll try searching a little more on the site. I am sure going to give it a go this year. Thanks again.

You can take what Bob Mc said to the bank. Also, you will have to spend more time scouting your calling areas, and most importantly, learn the habits and idiocincrouscies(sp) of your quarry. He is NOT a coyote, and can not be called like one. This is the biggest mistake most would-be lion callers make. They dont know what makes a lion tick, and, they dont walk enough, and, they have little idea of how to call one. Sure, some guys can call one in 3 or 4 times in a lifetime while trying to call coyotes or fox or bobcat. But to call 10 to 25 a year, you must KNOW what,when,where,why, and how to do it. Most men just dont have the inner fortitude to push themselves to the limit or to spend the time it takes to learn how do these numbers. The 17 lions I called in for clients last year was the hardest work I have ever done in my entire life. The 25 I called in the year before were much easier to do as the weather was much more favorable. Last year the weather was horrible for calling lions consistantly. Few know how weather can affect your calling success on the big cats. Your home state of NM has a tremendous lion population, and some areas are overrun with way too many cats. Calf. and AZ also have too many lions. My advice, use more lion vocalizations than prey calls and your success rate will skyrocket.
For what it's worth,
Steve

When using lion vocalizations is it better to use mating or terrritorial calls? How would you rate the Johny Stweart tape that is available? In past posts I know Steve Craig uses Wildlife Technologies call and they have a varity of sounds that are available for mountian lion and I am not looking for you secret killer combination of sounds but a little guidance would be helpful.

Stay away from the JS lion sounds as they are junk as far as calling a lion. Totally the WRONG sound to use if you want to bring in a nice lion. Although, they do attract would-be lion callers very well. lol. Use female sounds as well as young lion vocalizations. Male sounds will call few lions unless you are after a certain Tom lion. Lions are VERY vocal when they come in. With prey sounds, they are not. I have had females vocalize for over an hour on many stands while trying to get her to show. Remember that the calling sound is only a very small part of lion calling. Get out there in the woods and mountains like Bob Mc and a few of my students do and let the lion tell you how to call him. He is a great teacher for sure.
FWIW
Steve

coyote12,
I do not know anyone who has lion vocalizations on a tape that will work for calling them in. The caller I use is the ONLY caller on the market that has the digital recordings that will call lions in on a consistant basis. There were literally 1000's of man hours spent on getting those recordings. People just dont understand whatit takes to get just 5 to 15 seconds of good vocalizations recorded, or the cost to do so.
Steve

Be hard to find better lion calling advice than Steve. BTW, do you have any pics of called lions you could share? I would love to see some of your pics as would many of the members I'm sure. Congrats on your previous success.

One thing about the JS lion tape. I hardly ever call lions but one of the very few times I have, we were successful at calling in one with the JS tape. It responded in the first five minutes, literally sprinting for the call. Unfortunately this one was not vocal. In fact the person sitting closest to the call, never knew it was there.

Also, I don't know if I would refer to others lack of success at calling cats a "lack of fortitude" as much as an unwillingness to devote the large amounts of time required for the very slim chance of success. Or living in an area that is not conducive to lion calling success. Even a successful lion caller has to admit that there are many, many, looong, unsuccessful stands when dealing with lions.

I don't have hunting dogs but have had the opportunity to hunt with some dog men, before it was banned here. Anyone that thinks using dogs is a walk in the park is badly mistaken. It was one of the most effort intensive activities I have participated in. My hat is off to them. What an eye-opener. In my opinion, using hounds, in this type of terrain, is by far the most grueling form of lion hunting. I was impressed by the huge amount of effort it takes to participate in that sport. Any form of calling was pale in comparison as far as effort expended. My respect for houndsmen increased tenfold by making a couple hunts with them.

Take care, Curt

Steve, I am very interested in learning to call in a lion. It has been a goal of mine for a while now. You mentioned that yu use the only lion caller tha actually works on a consistent basis. Would you be interested in sharing the information? Im not looking for your secret honey hole or anything like that. I have an area that I think could be productive near Mt Ord in Arizona. You also mentioned that you have caled in numerous lions for clients. What is that name of your guide service and some specs on a lion hunt. Brian

mmbeeeer@aol.com /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back