How Rare is a Black Coyote? Trail cam pic.

GOT ONE IN DECEMBER HERE IN ARKANSAS ,A FRIEND SAW A GRAY ONE IN THE SAME AREA HE SAID IT WAS ABOUT 6' TALLER THAN NORMAL
WE ARE GOING TO TRY IT THIS WEEKEND.

I saw a dark one but not completely black, this past November during deer season. He was mousing in a field about 350 yards out. I poked at him with my 30-06...missed. There has been quite a bit of hunting pressure for coyotes in my area these last few years....the numbers are down and maybe someone shot this dark recently. Cool color...I would have a black/dark one mounted too.

Mi11z , I have one hide on the wall one was a tad mangy and one is at the taxidermist , My son shot one in a contest a few years back and the fur buyer was at check in and he only offered two bucks for it , so I put it on the wall.

I got black (most of the time with some red on them) ones running around all over the place here.
I'd love to kill a real traditional looking "gray ghost", that doesn't have red/black on it.
I thought this was normal 'till I started posting on PM.
Guess I'm "lucky".
glare.gif

Centerfire 223, you been a member here for 42 years? or is your register date a typo, I've been huntin coyotes for a long time and never seen a black one.

Bob

Only seen one in all my years of hunting on an archery elk hunt in Wyo. never got close enough for a shot and didnt want to try to call him as we were after a bugling bull at the time. That is a cool coyote in your pics!

Originally Posted By: wybobCenterfire 223, you been a member here for 42 years? or is your register date a typo, I've been huntin coyotes for a long time and never seen a black one.

Bob

I have been a member here a long time but I didn't think it had been that long. But oh how time flys when your having fun. I don't really know why the date is from so long ago, I guess I have been on here close to 7-10 years.

as a reply to the guy who said there mixed with dogs.thats not true at all i shot one pure black.and if the sun hits him right pure silver.never heard of such a thing almost left it run by.so i did some research and had a game comission biologist run some tests on it.no domestic genes occured what did occure was a malinistic coyote he called it only happens in 5% of the total worlds population of yotes.it so happens the gene it was carrying was that of grey wolf.and by the percentage very rare.mine was only a hair over a year old a 28 pound pup jip.that same deer two more were killed on that same ridge a 55 pound male and a 37 pound jip.so long story short mount it full body because the chances of taking another one is astronomical.great job by the way

Got this 40 pound black male here in Connecticut two nights ago right at sunset with an SD 6.5 Grendel from Scott at 170 yards. Took the photo at night and the flash does not do justice to how black he was. First black one I have seen.

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

Last edited:
I have called in 5 in the last 6 months or so. I think I have all 5 on video in fact. Most have a white patch on their chest. Only one of the ones I called was solid black. I live in NW Arkansas. Ive always heard that the further east you go the more you will see. I have never seen one west of where I live. (OK, TX, KS.)

I've seen 2 but never got a shot at either in 9 yrs of calling.

Yes they're worth quite a bit of $$, they bring good money on taxidermy.net

Back