accurizing the Savage 93R17 BTV

Alec

I have a 93R17 BTV. I want to improve my groups. When I checked of the stock and action it looked very different from center fire stocks and I couldent figure out how to glass bed it. This outfit http://www.savagegunsmithing.com/rimfire_rifles.html offers a "Rimfire Accurizing Package". It includes Re-crowning of the Barrel, a Trigger Job, Lapping the Barrel and Polishing the Chamber, glas-bedding and a 15 - 20 shots firing w/target. I don't know if the new accu-triger needs work. Idon't know that the factory crown can be improved. And I don't know if polishing the chamber does anything. I would like to here about people getting real results on there own, and if these guys are for real. Alec

I accurized mine. I had it for two weeks and accurized it right on down the road.

lets see
plastic stock with a sharp edge right on top where you're face welds to it

none of the magazines that came with it worked so it was basically a single shot with spare mags

when the stock warmed up it got soft and squishy

it would shoot great two shot groups nothing more

the thing just screamed cheap

Gun was given to me in exchange for some work I did....I gave it back.

I also have the Savage .17 93R and it groups awsome. At 50 yards 5 shots can be covered up with a quarter. Im shooting the Hornady 20 grain bullets and they work fine for me. I do know of some people that shoot the 17 grain bullets and have trouble with the grouping. Maybe its the wind.

Bed the action and the barrel. As you noticed the inletting allows a lot to be desired and the varmint weight barrel puts a strain on the weak inletting. Bedding the action and the barrel will support everything better. In my case it helped tighten up the groups and the gun feels more solid.

I would trade it for a Marlin and forget all the troubles.I had a Savage rimfire and struggled through a whole year with it, and because I was a good customer Cabelas let me trade it on a Marlin, shoots great and no problems at all.

Love my Cabela's/Savage 93.

1274895333.jpg

t/c223encore.

Do a search on rimfirecentral. ALot of people have used him. Just remember, that even with the work that will get done, you should still squeak under the price of a CZ, at least last time I checked.

Last edited:
I'm just an old trigger puller and own Savage 93R17 BTVLSS and CZ 452 Varmint in .17 HMR. I shoot the CZ better just because I can't keep my old fat face off off the Savage's nice rollover cheek piece..well can shoot free recoil.

All that to say this I find it tough to believe a new 93R17 needs a crown re-cut or AccuTrigger adjusted beyond what you could do.

I've heard of competitive shooters that recrown after X rounds as part of their voo-doo.

I'd take the $195 and buy as much Hornady .17 gr VMAX as I could and go ruin some prairie dogs days..your money, your choice.

Got to 'fess up..did put a Brooks trigger kit in the CZ -maybe $9 but not more than $14.

Originally Posted By: Alec Online

I have a 93R17 BTV. I want to improve my groups. When I checked of the stock and action it looked very different from center fire stocks and I couldent figure out how to glass bed it. This outfit http://www.savagegunsmithing.com/rimfire_rifles.html offers a "Rimfire Accurizing Package". It includes Re-crowning of the Barrel, a Trigger Job, Lapping the Barrel and Polishing the Chamber, glas-bedding and a 15 - 20 shots firing w/target. I don't know if the new accu-triger needs work. Idon't know that the factory crown can be improved. And I don't know if polishing the chamber does anything. I would like to here about people getting real results on there own, and if these guys are for real. Alec

I have done business with www.savagegunsmithing.com and I am quite disappointed with my 17HMR that shoots no better after it was worked on it then it did before I sent it in.

During our conversations Scott indicated that the Savage barrels are not good. So, Scott offered to sleeve the barrel. After thinking about that option for a few days, I honestly cannot agree that this is good option, on basically a new rifle.

This weekend I began an internet search and found Green Mountain Barrels. They offer a 25” 416 SST barrel blank in a 17 Hornady for $99.00 and have 38 in stock. I wondered how come this option wasn’t explored / offered by Savagegusnsmithing?

When I called and spoke with Scott about re-barreling my rifle with a Green Mountain barrel, he did agree to do the work, but I got the feeling that he was not excited about doing it. I feel that he had written me off and would rather that I just “go away”. I am concerned that if I DID re-barrel my rifle and something goes wrong, it WILL be my fault, and could anticipate communications such as “Well Mike, it was YOUR decision to use the Green Mountain Barrel, not ours.”

Consequently I have decided to hire another gunsmith to repair his mistakes.

It is unfortunate that this has to come to this. I have spent MANY hours, quite a bit of my money, anguished over your Customer service (lack of, in my opinion) AND when there is a problem I feel that everyone there would rather NOT help me.

I CANNOT recommend any fellow shooters or enthusiasts send their rifles and money this business.

Originally Posted By: srs028I also have the Savage .17 93R and it groups awsome. At 50 yards 5 shots can be covered up with a quarter. Im shooting the Hornady 20 grain bullets and they work fine for me. I do know of some people that shoot the 17 grain bullets and have trouble with the grouping. Maybe its the wind.

Yeah, mine shoots at least that good, and I did nothing past adjusting the trigger as low as it will go.
All I've shot was the 17gr ammo in various brands. no 20gr yet, but may try some soon.

Shayne

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57Originally Posted By: srs028I also have the Savage .17 93R and it groups awsome. At 50 yards 5 shots can be covered up with a quarter. Im shooting the Hornady 20 grain bullets and they work fine for me. I do know of some people that shoot the 17 grain bullets and have trouble with the grouping. Maybe its the wind.

Yeah, mine shoots at least that good, and I did nothing past adjusting the trigger as low as it will go.
All I've shot was the 17gr ammo in various brands. no 20gr yet, but may try some soon.

Shayne Shayne Mine is about 2# Out of box. When you did your adjusting how much lower than 2# did you get???? Just interested thats all....Jeff

WHAT!!!! They are not accurate?

Holy crap......but but they gots a accu-trigger....thats got accurate,,,well almost, right in the name.

Seriously...i figured they would be 3/4 moa or so to 100 yards at least.

X

The stock and btm metal are the weak link in the BTV.

You'll notice that you're not able to get even reliable torque on your action screws because of this.

Savage Gunsmithing offers a good replacement btm plate that fixes a lot of that.

If you're handy you can block it up and build up the front action screw area with Devcon.

As mentioned above, finding ammo that your rimfire likes is also important.

Back