Hunt/ guide for a living

fathermartin

I absolutely love to hunt, I love being outdoors and try to go as often as I can. If I had my way after I graduate college (about a year left) I could think of no better job than getting paid to hunt or guiding hunts. I know that its not the most likely out come for my career but I can dream right? I just want to know how many people make their living as a prostaff/hunter or someone that guides hunts.
Thanks Martin

I had the same dream growing up. After chasing the almighty dollar up the corporate ladder, I decided that the koolaid really didn't taste that sweet. My family and I made to the tough decision to simplify life and follow my dream. I eat bologna now...but it's the best tasting bologna!
smile.gif
I wouldn't change it for anything in the world.

There are very, very few guys/gals making a living from hunting. Most prostaffers, TV show hosts, DVD hosts, seminar speakers, etc... have day jobs an get paid minimal for their hobby. I only know of a few of us that make it on hunting alone.

Never give up on your dream!

Tony

I'd try and guide for an outfit first. You may find dealing with difficult and demanding clients isn't that fun. It takes a unique (in a good way) person that can balance the all demands of a guide business. A lot of people try very few can make a living with it. Good luck!!! I admire someone who has the courage to chase a dream. Especially someone like Tebbe that does it while they have a family to support.

I had a fishing guide service in Alaska. Its not all its cracked up to be. I loved it ,but when you take something you love to do and make a job out of it for money it kind of changes things.Also, You can get some real jerks for clients,mostly from over seas.By all means pursue it but know what you're getting into. Don't forget about the liability when you take people for money.
Mike

Mike, I can understand your dream..I had something similar when I was young...If you are really serious, you should try to get a job that offers you the flexibility of having specific scheduled time off, such as a Firefighter...

I say this as they usually have 24hours on duty and 48 hours off. duty..I had a cousin that was a Fire Captain in LA County and he managed several lucrative sideline jobs, as well as building an excellent retirement with benefits..

That way, if you can build a guide service on the side and find that it's your cup of tea and you can make a sustainable living at it, you can always give up the stable part of your income to pursue it fully..

Jumping off into a vocation that is very dependent on the economy, whims and fads that come and go, as well as developing the support tools and reputation with any business can be overwhelming unless you have some really deep pockets to carry you through the lean times...

Perhaps most of us have had dreams of being a guide at one time or another. I know I did when I was young and used to read books and stories about it. The lure of it was exciting.

However, like most of you have said, it's risky and not always what it's cracked up to be. There's a lot of work in it.

I do indeed admire Tony Tebbe, first of all for having the fortitude to make the decision of the move, and I admire his family for supporting him with the dream. That speaks well of a close family. Also, I know how hard Tony works at his new profession. I and an Australian friend, VicFox hunted with Tony last October. Tony really put in the time and miles with us to make our hunt a memoriable one. But that's just part of. We didn't see all the long hours and road miles he does the rest of the year in scouting and procuring new hunting lands. It's a full-time job.

Thanks again Tony for a great hunt and great memories.

Godspeed.

David

Semi pro means semi pay. If you are a part timer you'll be paid accordingly.

Do what you like for a living and you'll never work a day in your life. Do something you hate and you'll hate it till you die.

It isn't easy to make money in the guide/outfitting business, but it can be done.

It's like eating ice cream - you l-o-v-e eating it a couple of times per week, but try eating ice cream 20 days per month for a few years and it's not quite the attraction it was in the beginning.

Try to apprentice for a season or two before you jump in with both feet. It's not for everyone. Can be pretty lonely at times. For 11 years I've been at it full time. Overall it's great, but there are times when it's not so great. Just make sure it's for you before committing.

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeI had the same dream growing up. After chasing the almighty dollar up the corporate ladder, I decided that the koolaid really didn't taste that sweet. My family and I made to the tough decision to simplify life and follow my dream. I eat bologna now...but it's the best tasting bologna!
smile.gif
I wouldn't change it for anything in the world.

There are very, very few guys/gals making a living from hunting. Most prostaffers, TV show hosts, DVD hosts, seminar speakers, etc... have day jobs an get paid minimal for their hobby. I only know of a few of us that make it on hunting alone.

Never give up on your dream!

Tony

I personally love to take people out, but it is hard, because I want them to have a great experience. I know that Tony works extremely hard to see that his clients get the very best experiences, and it is exhausting. Any good professional wants that. I will continue to take people ot for fun, and if they really want a guide, I will send them to somebody like Tony that really cares, not a lot of guides really do to that level.

You're young, try it. Go broke? Who cares. Have to sleep in the car a couple nights? Been there, it's called camping. Don't like where you are? Fine, move, you don't have a mortgage. Do it now for you don't know what tomarrow brings. Kids, bills, wife, age all make it tougher later on.

Only thing I would caution is turning fun hobbies into work can be a bad idea. And remember the only thing worse than making decent money at something you hate is watching the bills pile up doing something you love.

CB

Its never been my dream but I have done it. Its not that great.

Here is my only advise and it aint worth much. If you like to hunt, dont do it.

Originally Posted By: Chris_BriceYou're young, try it. Go broke? Who cares. Have to sleep in the car a couple nights? Been there, it's called camping. Don't like where you are? Fine, move, you don't have a mortgage. Do it now for you don't know what tomarrow brings. Kids, bills, wife, age all make it tougher later on.

Only thing I would caution is turning fun hobbies into work can be a bad idea. And remember the only thing worse than making decent money at something you hate is watching the bills pile up doing something you love.

CB

Ditto

Let me add this. You will lose some friends and locals will start to dislike you when you start leasing up the land they hunt. Doesn't happen all the time and to everyone but I have seen it.

There are quite a few questions that need to be answered. Do you want to be a guide or an outfitter? There is a big difference. Are you going to be the boss or the employee? Are you going to be rooted to one area or do you want to move across the country with the seasons. Honestly if I had more time I would write a book on being an outfitter and a guide. I might not be qualified to give advice depending on what you want to do but I did own and run a waterfowl outfitting service for 4 years and worked as a full time guide for about 5 after that. I've worked from Alaska to Texas. It's like any other career choice. You have to know exactly what you want and ask the right questions. We can offer some advice to help you get there.

Im in college also and in a major that gears people toward exactly what you are talking about.. At Kansas State University there is a program called Wildlife and Outdoor Enterprise Management... we learn everything from supplying materials to outfitters, to learing all about the guiding, to even being qualified for a management position at a resort. Might look into it? Its a new program in its 3rd year only. (they only accept a few students every year, Thank God I got accepted!) With only one year left a transfer might be a little rash but who knows.. Good luck..

I am wearing the same pair of shoes that you are and have been for most of my life. Hunting, fishing etc... it didn't matter; If it had anything to do with either of those I went all out. It has been and still is nothing less than a passionate obsession.

10 or so years ago I was told by my mother to "find what you love to do and then find someone who is willing to pay you to do it." After several years, I reached the personal conclusion that there was little to no chance of me winding up on Realtree Monster Bucks or Mossy Oak's Whistling Wings getting paid to hunt. I would never tell anyone to give up on that dream, and neither have I; just decided to take another approach. A "career" approach.

I am and have been for many years just as passionate about conservation as I have been hunting. Im a senior in Auburn about to graduate with a degree in Wildlife Biology. I really want to continue and get a masters thereafter. My point is this. I, like you, have a passion that is unexplainable. And with all honesty, the things I have got to do and experience pursuing this degree have taken me more places and have allowed me to meet more "industry" people than you can imagine. And the thought that in another year or so Ill have a job (if I can find one) that will have me out everyday working with wildlife doing what I love is what I love most.

So as others have suggested, maybe trying to be a true "professional" hunter isn't where its at. Lets be honest most of those guys don't do a whole lot to promote conservation anyways (its all about the money to them). Not always the case but it is the norm. So look for the type of job where you don't have to take off to do what you love. Where doing what you love is part of your job. I know that is what you are trying to do with hunting/guiding. However my point is that there is more than one way to have a job in the outdoors, that will have you in and around all of this stuff that we are all so passionate about. I don't know what your degree is in, but with just about any degree there is a company/agency that employs individuals with those skill sets that is centered in some form or fashion around the hunting/outdoor industry.

Jake

Guided for critters 6 seasons and it has it's ups and downs.

There's two schools of thought on these things. Some say find what you love to do and you'll never work a day in your life. The other side of the coin is never turn your favorite thing to do in life into a job.

I've found both to be true. But being young and motivated I'd say go for it. Much easier to try now than later in life.

There is a PH school(s) in Africa?? Leopards now that's a heart pumper.

Last edited:
I am also in the same boat, 3rd year at NDSU going for a major in Range Science. I was somewhat excited about it to start off but now I'm second guessing it. I'm not really that excited to go and learn about that kind of stuff and would really like to do something that is more related to my two passions in life, hunting and fishing. Keep this post going! I would really like to hear more from others who have work experience in the hunting and fishing industry.

Back