6.5-06?????

What do you all think of a 6.5-06 i have been thinking i need one but just dont no if it would be a good long range gun for targets. Or coyotes for that matter. Please help.

IMO......I would get the 25-06 over the 6.5-06. I haven't read that much great about the 6.5-06.....OR you could look into the 260 ?

Had one. Good round, but I've sinced moved on the 6.5x284. Factory premium brass, lots of proven load combos, etc. If you go that route, 6.5x06 Improved will give you a better shoulder angle. If you have a long action to start your build with it's a good one....

Just remember with any of these ideas bein give, set aside a little money each payday so you can keep a barrel on your gun. Id go 2506. Lots of ammo, dont have to fireforn all your brass, you dont have to pay 100 bucks for dies and you can load it to infinity and back. If you want a bigger caliber go 284 win or 7 mag or 260.

I remember reading that the 6.5x55 is under loaded in factory ammo. In a modern, strong action would a "hot" Swede equal the 6.5-06? Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

I guess the 6.5's are becoming the hot commodity for target shooting nowadays, but outside of competition I would think the established calibers that others have mentioned would make more sense.

If you want to get really crazy I would suggest the 270 Winchester. That should be pretty close to the 6.5-06, I think.

The 6.5-06 is everything the 25-06 wanted to be, and everything the 270win should have been. MHO

Same case, better B.C's, and bullet selection. What's not to like or want?

Plus the sectional density of the 6.5 is way better than either the 25, or 270.

Look at the BC on a 150gr 270. A 6.5-06 would be sweet but I think you'd have to really want it to go to all that trouble and expense. Down range you won't see any difference.

The 6.5-06 is on my short list of some days... I like cartridges that don't sell well, cause then I have an excuse to keep them when the wife asks.

6.5-06 is a fantastic choice for coyotes.
Just as with anything based on the 30-06, cases are EVERYWHERE, but they burn a chunk of powder.
If the powder consumption isn't a problem for you, you can all-but cut a coyote in half; if shot just behind the ribs.

I think the 6.5-06 is basically a much less tempramental 264 Win Mag. JUST behind the 264's vel's, doesn't heat the barrel as badly, and doesn't burn nearly the powder.

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishJust remember with any of these ideas bein give, set aside a little money each payday so you can keep a barrel on your gun. Id go 2506. Lots of ammo, dont have to fireforn all your brass, you dont have to pay 100 bucks for dies and you can load it to infinity and back. If you want a bigger caliber go 284 win or 7 mag or 260.

+1 on the 25-06 Also on a lot of the lets say odd ball calibers. 6.5-284 it uses A LOT of powder, barrel life isn't that great and the dies will be anywhere from $130 up to $250.00 Then you have to get brass also.. Not putting the guys down for shooting it [beeep] whatsoever..It is a proven round...IMHO I would also look into the 6.5 Creedmore..

My opinion on it is if your going to get the 6.5-06 built you might as well go the ackley route. Almost no case trimming and alittle more gas in the tank.

Eddie Harren is shipping my 6.5-06AI back as we speak. I had a recoil lug issue, so had to send it off. His borescope says that barrel is nice and smooth, with no firecracking. This is after I KNOW 500rnds down the tube.

I did overload it with 140gr pills and get 3208FPS out of her, but no barrel issues. I am glad I decided to set the chrono up that day before I really made a mistake. YIKES

RAH RAH RAH For Smokeless!
The 6.5/06 is a thing of beauty. Kills cleaner than EITHER the 25-06 OR the 270. Easy to load , feeds nice and good brass [L.C. NM 30-06 necked down] last forever.
Aloha, Mark

About five years ago I built a 6.5-06 ack imp. It is a great round and easy to load for. It is now my goto rifle for big game. I bought 100 lapua cases to form my brass and it will serve me well for years to come. I don't think my 6.5-06 does things any better than what a .270 or.280 will do on big game but if you are into wildcats then by all means go for it. No one will argue the success those long 6.5 bullets have had on targets way down range. Before building it I contemplated the .280 ack improved. It is another outstanding performer if you want to get close to 7 mag performance with a little less powder.

Back