Help interpreting the Montana Suppressor Law!

mtwood24

So I understand that if a suppressor is made in montana, it can be used in Montana, as long as it never leaves the state. Does this mean that Joe Blow can make a home made suppressor in his garage and use it legally, as long as he is a resident of Montana and only uses it in Montana?

Its legal to make and use suppressors as long as you have the paperwork (I forget the proper name for the paperwork.)

If you go to silencertalk website they have all sorts of blue prints and guys making them.

If you like spending your money on Attorneys and relish a vacation in Federal prison then you can be Montana's 10th amendment test case. As much as I applaud their effort, I would not want to be the test case. You can build a suppressor in your garage, but I would recommend you have a NFA Form 1 and the appropriate tax stamp before you do.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerIts legal to make and use suppressors as long as you have the paperwork (I forget the proper name for the paperwork.)

If you go to silencertalk website they have all sorts of blue prints and guys making them.

Form 1. Get it off the atf website. Its a one time manufacturing license. Cost $200. My advise is to buy one that is already made by someone who know what they are doing. You persent the aft with your plans on paper, they approve it, and then you can make it. If it is not quiet you can not change it. Only someone with a manufacturers license can recore it.

Making a suppressor yourself goes on the same form that you use to reg. a SBR. You are the manifacturer. This applies to all states that allows NFA items. When you produce a suppressor yourself with your submitted plans, you can't change them after it is approved.. unless you want to pay alother $200. Go to the AFT website. I have several NFA items on Form 1s.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

Unless Montana has its own in state suppressor laws this is the way of the NFA.

What are you trying to suppress. A high end 223 can starts at around $399. Plus $200 for the tax stamp, you are at $500. Unless you are a machinist that is good, you would probably have more than that in making one. Besides you buy a can for example through Yankee Hill Machine, its warrantied for life.

http://www.major-malfunction.com/maj_malf_5u_013.htm

And it will look "not homemade." And we all know " Looking cool" is 50% of the game.

Originally Posted By: tactical assaultWhat are you trying to suppress. A high end 223 can starts at around $399. Plus $200 for the tax stamp, you are at $500. Unless you are a machinist that is good, you would probably have more than that in making one. Besides you buy a can for example through Yankee Hill Machine, its warrantied for life.

http://www.major-malfunction.com/maj_malf_5u_013.htm

And it will look "not homemade." And we all know " Looking cool" is 50% of the game.

I agree unless you have a real machine shop and a lot of stainless or titanium cut offs laying around, but where is the high end can for $399 all I've found are in the $500 range.

I have a YHM Phantom in 223. They start at $399. I shoot with a friend that has a AAC M-1000. The YHM is as quiet as the AAC can. The YHM is a little heavier, but just as Quiet. The AAC M-2000 is only a couple decibels quieter and 3 times as much. It is pretty much the top performing can out there.

What you where specifically asking about is a state law that directly conflicts with federal law.

Theoretically the state of MT is saying that yes you dont need to "register" your suppresor if it is 100% made in MT and will forever stay in MT. The problem is the Federal states you must register it.
So far no one that I know of in any of the states who have recentely passed similiar legislature has "tested" it out. You would be going up againsted the feds but would hopefully have your state on your side...

It's similar to the medical pot laws. Legal by several state laws but it's still illegal by federal law. If they choose to enforce it, it's big trouble.

I can personally think of about a thousand places to save $200 other than raising a flag at the BATF. Especially with this administration in place.

Back