young hounds

hillbillyhunter

my pup is 10 weeks now. he's a loner but i have plans on getting 2 or 3 more . other than the basic dog training, what kind of things can i do to start traing him? he has an intrest in cats now and likes to chase them, but not with any pasion.

Hi Hillbillyhunter What kind of hound do you
have and what are you going to hunt with him
if you are going to get other hounds i would
get a older hounds to train the pups. or try
sent bags that you drag on the ground. i was
in the same boat you are in i started with pups.
its hard work but it do's pay off if you put the
time and hard work in. so good luck to you
and run them hounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hillbilly, Coonhunted for 15 years. It's easier to train two houndpups than one. They feed off each others courage. Older dog is the best way to go, but if you don't have older dog i suggest two or more pups. They're braver when together. Don't get one chewed up at too young a age or it may set them back for a while. I use my electic varmit caller to call up fox and bobcat for my beagles. I know what their running that way. Used to let my blutick pups run loose until the started running rabbits around the house. Teased them with a live coon and started taking them hunting with older dogs. Never tried to break them off rabbits, but after they learned to hate coons, they never ran rabbits again.

he's redbone. and he's full of energy. i take him with me to the hills 4-5 times a week. and he has his nose on the ground the whole time.
is it harmfull to let him run loose for a while when i get home?? i keep an eye on him.
i'll post a picture next week.
where can i get a scent bag? will grandmas house cats work for training??? she wouldnt even know if one or two were missing. ]:)> maybe clip thier claws???

Howdy, I have three hounds right now, a litter of Blueticks on the way and a plott pup coming in Nov. I have a 5 month old Redbone from outstanding bloodline, so far she is a natural. Biggest thing, don't do too much too soon. Take your time and let him be a pup. Your doing the right thing, walks, letting him run loose if it's safe. Careful around the cats right now as he can get scratched and hurt. Around 4 to 6 months depending on your pups temperment start basic training, ie heeling, coming when called (every time), sitting, staying, loading in your dog box. From now till 6 months get a rag or a tanned coon hide and a good commercial coon scent. Put it on a ten foot line. Whenever you go out to play with your pup make a hissing sound and let him chase the scented rag...sssssiiiiiccccccuuummm, say it over and over while he is chasing the rag and when he catches it keep saying it and give him good encouragement. When you finally do show him a live coon in the cage DO NOT FORCE HIM NEXT TO THE COON, you will ruin him. Let him approach the coon with plenty of escape route. If he starts barking at the coon really heap on the praise. Let him bark for about 5 min and then pick him up and put him away. Even though it's cool to watch don't do this much more. Your very best bet is to go to the two following websites www.coonhoundcentral.com and www.prohound.com
Also I HIGHLY recommend you go to www.t-topredbones.com and order Tom Solberg's book Dog Talk, it is the best book going for training hounds and he raises redbones. Good luck and talk to you later. Fred
P.S. I live near Spokane, if you want to get together and coon hunt let me know.

he treed the cat last night. woohoo!!! he lost his enthusiasm quickly though. he comes when told and knows his name well after two weeks. i'm very proud.
by the way,....where can i get a couple bluetick pups????
i'm interested in getting together for a hunt. my hunting buddies are all deer and elk guys. i also love hunting antlered animals, however i find it hard to get my buddies to put 100 percent into a hunt for dangerous game. they just dont understand you have to be thourough.

hi hillbillyhunter you can get sent bags the
nitelite mag. to order that mag. go onto
huntsmart.com or 1-800-332-6968 or get the
full-cry mag. its a tree hound mag. 618-625-2711.
good luck to you and run them hounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have a litter of "PR" UKC registered Blueticks due at the end of Jul. Mom and Dad are lion and bear hounds extraordinary. If your interested we can go hunting with "whisper" the mom. Awesome hound. Talk to you later. Fred

Well, I'm going to sell them for $200, however if you are for sure going to hunt them and take good care of them, I could let you have one for say...free. They are UKC registered. I'm not into selling pups, I wanted a hound out of this cross. Otherwise if I know they are going to a good hunting home for sure I'm not looking to make money off of them. I currently have three males spoken for. I'll e-mail you later. Take care. Fred

Of course I'm serious if you promise to take good care of him. E-mail me and I'll send you some photos of mom and the dad. I'm not kidding they are awesome hounds, and LOOOUUUDDD voices, just like I like them. Do you guys have many coons down there??? Talk to you later. Fred
mach3109@yahoo.com

there are coons here. i've seen huge coons crossing the road. i dont know of anyone who hunts them here. everyone i know with dogs used to run bears and cats before the seattleites ruined that for us. i wont be able to hunt them though for probably a year and a half dontcha think??? unless i get a few mature dogs also at least.
if you ever find yourself down here i'd be happy to point you in the right direction for a hunt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did'nt they bring lion hunting with hounds back on a limited basis in Washington due to the human/cat conflicts? Could of swore I read it somewhere.

Yes they did, about 125 permits on a drawing. Don't quote me but I believe last year over 1,000 guys put in for the tags. I'll be trying again this year. Only guys with hounds were allowed to apply. Fred

i talked to the game dept. a month ago about lion hunting and they gave out like 107 permits last year for the public safety removal permits. they said they need 11 complaints in a certain region before they open that area. most of the complaints are depradation from farmers. now,.....imagine if we all called in complaints..............uh-oh....did i say that outloud. kinda crooked to think like that aint it.
bearhunting fool. i talked to you a couple months ago about some hounds. it sounded like you had nice dogs,....but i didnt have quite enough money to invest in the dogs that you had already trained. do you have more????

Hey Hillbilly, check out the photos on the classified page. The dam is about ready to drop this litter any day now. I'll keep you posted. Fred

she sure is a pretty girl Fred. i'm real excited ,....my redbone, Mars, needs some companionship while i'm at work. one of your pups should compliment him well.
now,....do you want me to send you a deposit??

Back