Crow hunting with rifle?

boisblancboy

I have done lots of crow hunting with a caller and pass shooting them with my shotgun, but was wondering if there is many people out there that have used their rifle? Hunt over a dead creature? Just curious to see what others do?

Originally Posted By: boisblancboyI have done lots of crow hunting with a caller and pass shooting them with my shotgun, but was wondering if there is many people out there that have used their rifle? Hunt over a dead creature? Just curious to see what others do?

Now you're talkin'...

I love shooting crows with a rifle.

Bate them - well, lets not call it "bating" if it's against the law in your state... but leave a Big Mac and fries in an open field with the wrapper (put a rock on the wrapper so it won't blow away).

The Big Mac and fries is an international call sign to crows that free chow is waiting for them - they can recognize it from 30,000 feet.

Just clean up the Big Mac and wrapper before you leave.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: boisblancboyI have done lots of crow hunting with a caller and pass shooting them with my shotgun, but was wondering if there is many people out there that have used their rifle? Hunt over a dead creature? Just curious to see what others do?

Now you're talkin'...

I love shooting crows with a rifle.

Bate them - well, lets not call it "bating" if it's against the law in your state... but leave a Big Mac and fries in an open field with the wrapper (put a rock on the wrapper so it won't blow away).

The Big Mac and fries is an international call sign to crows that free chow is waiting for them - they can recognize it from 30,000 feet.

Just clean up the Big Mac and wrapper before you leave.

LOL and then silently snipe them out with an air rifle!

RWS%2034%20Crow.jpg

I use my fox pro with the dying crow call and put out a few decoys then just shoot them as they land in the trees killed 8 last Saturday from my porch.

Board member 6mm06 (David) does a lot of this, surprised he hasn't jumped in here he loves it so much! He's done a number of professional videos but not sure if he's released his crow hunting footage on DVD yet. I have several of his videos and really enjoy his style of sharing the story. Here's a link to his youtube portal and crow sniping video:

Well look at my screen name! I dont shotgun crows. I use my encore pistol, my ruger mk3 pistol and my air rifles. I grab all my camo my e caller and hand call. Stalk them. Shoot them from collected road kill etc

Cool video, thanks for posting that. I live near alot of small lakes, which I plan on laying out some squirrels I shot. Shouldnt take long before they come take a look.

Here are some crows that came to a crow call. One sat on a fence 50-60 yards away and when he fell, the rest of them kept coming down and sitting on the fence looking at him.. Range about 45-60 yards... I was sitting in my truck shooting out the window... And yep...Thats a Wally World Special 10-22... Shoots great...

7124Crows_3.jpg

Last edited:

Wahoowad,

The reason I hadn't jumped in is because I hadn't seen the thread until now. LOL.

Crow Sniping - great fun and practice. I love the .17 HMR for that purpose tough I have used a variety of rifles, both rimfire and centerfire. I mainly drive the old roads in winter time and look for crows sitting up. They seem to hang tight longer when the temps are cold, giving a little more time for a shot. I also find them around barns and where cattle, corn, feed etc is. Where you find cattle you will generally find crows. As well, crows just seem to have certain places they like to congregate and perch. Once you find that area, you can just sit up and wait a while, or do some calling. Find an area that's safe to shoot, put out a few decoys with some nearby trees, and let the fun begin. Crows will generally fly around and around, squaking and going crazy over the decoys, but some will also land in the trees nearby to take a look.

Get out early in the mornings since crows are hungry when they leave the roost, and they will go directly to a known food source.

As to the video link Wahoowad posted, the video is basically for fun and sharing. I really never had any intentions of trying to market it, but who knows. I keep adding to it as I go so it's a work in progress. The video is a lot of fun to do, but I admit it's very difficult to be a one-man-show. I've missed a lot of good opportunities to put more crows on the ground by having to get the camera in position first.

By the way Wahoo, how are things / hunting? Haven't talked to you in a while.

David

Here are a few photos of the past:

Marlin thumbhole .17 HMR

07.jpg

01-4.jpg

.22 Short Browning auto

007.jpg

Sniping1.jpg

Sniping2.jpg

CZ 452 American .17 HMR

SingleCrow.jpg

CZ-1.jpg

Crow3.jpg

Crow5-2.jpg

Crow2.jpg

Tim Bogle said:
The best bait seems to leaving the first dead one out in the open. They just keep on coming.

Especially if it's wounded and flapping around. I've thought about taking my mojo crow and dangle it on a string from a branch... making it look wounded.... it should work.

When I scrape 'coons the fat goes into five gallon buckets. I take these out and place them in good crow sniping spots. When it is real cold and the ground is covered with snow crows seem to love a good coon fat breakfast.

Well I am going to be using my new .204 to snipe them with, I know its a little over kill but it should be fun either way.

Where I live we get alot of deer kills out of the shoreline from coyotes chasing them out there. They either get killed from the coyotes or end up falling through the ice. Either way, its a big draw for the crows.

Here might be a dumb question, so dont laugh at me too much. Are there any "trophys" when it comes to crow hunting?

No such thing as overkill in my opinion. Use whatever you like and enjoy, try different rifles for the fun of it. There's no set rule that says you have to use this one or that. That's part of the fun of crow sniping - you get to experiment if you want to.

I like the .17 HMR for crow sniping, but your .204 will work very well if it's accurate. In the video I did, I used my AR 6x45 quite a lot, and even a .243 a couple of times. Shooting 58 gr. V-Max, the .243 is one heck of a crow demolisher. I also use a .223 quite a lot.

Back