Looking to get a .204 Ruger...any recommendations on a rifle?

Well lets see,
I've had a CZ in 204 --Should have kept it
A Remington with the triangular barrel--junk-impossible to load the magazine so it would feed a shell.
Ruger #1, wood was just too nice to bang it around. Now shooting a Ruger 77 in 204 ,while heavier than the CZ,its very accurate,will actually feed from the mag, and its a lefty!

The only complaint I had about the CZ was ,it was'nt a lefty ( I over looked that) ,but was the safety. Flipping it rearward ,verus forward like most guns .Its petty ,but I always had to think which way. It was a tack driver and a very nice carry gun.

By coincidence I recently read an article in the Jan, 2011 issue of Rifle magazine where they tested 3 rifles in .204. A T/C Precision Hunter, a Ruger Hawkeye Predator and a Rem Mod 7 Predator.

I'm looking at the article now, they shot 32 V-Max, 32 Rem BT, 40 V-Max and 40 Rem Accutip factory loads at 100 yds from a bench. The Ruger shot the smallest group with EVERY bullet. The T/C AND Rem alternated for second with each. Average for ALL groups combined was Ruger .625, Rem .844 and T/C .937.

T/C and Ruger weigh 8 lbs, Rem weighs 7.

T/C most expensive, Ruger 2nd, Rem 3rd.

Originally Posted By: M595NutCan't speak for the Thompson, but can assure you the Ruger will do even better with load development. Much better.

Yeah I know, mine sure does.

The smallest group from the Ruger was .375 with the 32 V-Max, which ain't bad with factory ammo.
.500 with the 40 V-Max. The Rem ammo opened the average to .625 with .875 and .750 for the 32 and 40 gr respectivley.

after looking around, kinda settled on trying a Tikka T3, about mission impossible to find one in a 204 ruger. Guess I will have to settle for a CZ. Just dont care for how the magazine hangs down (old remington 700 guy here)

Is yours the Hawkeye Predator, or the KM77VT Target Model? Same basically, except for the heavier stock and barrel. Mine is the Target model, thought about buying the predator as well, for something a little lighter to lug around.

Originally Posted By: M595NutIs yours the Hawkeye Predator, or the KM77VT Target Model? Same basically, except for the heavier stock and barrel. Mine is the Target model, thought about buying the predator as well, for something a little lighter to lug around.

Mine is the #1V stainless/laminate. I added a Kepplinger single set trigger, but other than that it's factory. It's pretty heavy, what with the heavy barrel and laminate stock, but 80% of the time I'm sitting at a shooting table, under an umbrella watching an Alfalfa field for Groundhogs. My truck is usually within 10 yds, so I don't have to lug much equipment around. Sometimes I just leave the table in the truck and shoot from there, gain a little elevation.

The CZ would be an excellent choice. Now if your looking for the ultimate carry 204 then this one is real hard to beat.

DSCF4500.jpg

Cat was shot at 225+ yds. 204 with a 37gr. CRT bullet. No exit. Oh, rifle is a Kimber Montana.
It seems to group ok for a 6lb. rig ready to hunt. Targets are 1 1/8".
37grCRT.jpg

Kimber204.jpg

Originally Posted By: K22 Oh, rifle is a Kimber Montana.

Agreed
Kimber's definatly a good choice if ya can stand the price.
Even better if you can find one with a nice wood stock.
wink.gif

Just bought the gun in my signature and so far love it. Heavier gun at 9.5 lbs, but so far it shoots great. Only shot it a few times getting it sighted in a 100 yds, but was cutting holes with factory Hornady ammo 32gr V-max.

Been too much wind to get to the range and reach out to 200 and 300 yds to see how she preforms.

Waiting to get some supplies to start reloading.

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: K22 Oh, rifle is a Kimber Montana.

Agreed
Kimber's definatly a good choice if ya can stand the price.
Even better if you can find one with a nice wood stock.
wink.gif

That is so true Charlie. Wood is easier to paint.
sneaky2.gif
laugh.gif

A cz american for 499 listed on the first page would be a heck of a deal to beat.

I prefer the tikka and sold my cz 527. Tikka is lighter and you can mount the scope low. The trigger is also better.

Buds gunshop doesn't have the .204 tikka? You could also try checking out tikkashooters.com

Back