Coyote guns

My primary guns are:

Tikka T3 sporter stainless .223 with a compact 4x12 Burris
Tikka T3 sporter blued .243 with a 6x18 Leupold
Colt 16" AR .223 with a 1.5x5 Leupold

Dream gun for yotes: 18" Flattop AR with a shorter LOP A1 stock, JP Enterprises trigger set at 3#s, topped with a 2.5x10 Nightforce and all done in sagebrush colored Duracoat.

I hunt the high desert country of southern Idaho.

Last edited:
This is my dream gun I just built. I hunt the midwest.
newARL-1.jpg

I question guns over 9 lbs 8 pushing it as a coyote gun. I guess if you can drive right up to where you set up it wouldn't be bad. But here in my woods.Thats alot of weight to be carrying to call them heavy barrels coyote guns. Where I walk from 1/4 to 3/4 a miles to set up. 7.5 lbs and under would be a coyote gun. Those who have 10 to 12 lb guns. Them are varmint guns. Prairies dogs where you shoot continuous non stop. I don't see how anyone can classify
9 lb+ a coyote gun. That makes me tired thinking about lugging that around with other equipment. I am in very good shape for my age and put the young ones to shme. But no way is a 9 lb or heavier a coyote gun in IMHO. Let the bash begin.

Originally Posted By: compaq12I question guns over 9 lbs 8 pushing it as a coyote gun. I guess if you can drive right up to where you set up it wouldn't be bad. But here in my woods.Thats alot of weight to be carrying to call them heavy barrels coyote guns. Where I walk from 1/4 to 3/4 a miles to set up. 7.5 lbs and under would be a coyote gun. Those who have 10 to 12 lb guns. Them are varmint guns. Prairies dogs where you shoot continuous non stop. I don't see how anyone can classify
9 lb+ a coyote gun. That makes me tired thinking about lugging that around with other equipment. I am in very good shape for my age and put the young ones to shme. But no way is a 9 lb or heavier a coyote gun in IMHO. Let the bash begin.

I'm with you there.

My goto calling rifle is a LSF Remington 700 in .204 wearing a Ziess 4.5x14. It weighs in at about 7.5#'s. I also use a RRA 20" varmit in .223 with a Leupold AR 3x9...It's a little heavy, maybe 10#'s with a loaded 20 rd mag.

My dream coyote rifle would be a 700 Rem action with spiral fluted bolt, a 2.5# Jewell trigger, a Lilja medium 24" fluted stainless bbl in a sporter contour Brown Precision kevlar stock and a Swaro 4.5x14 scope.

I call mostly in the sage country of New Mexico and some in southwest Colorado.

Back