Putting up FUR and the time involved?

gethuntin

I am attempting to put of fur for auction and have read through the pelt handling for profit but have some questions.

After you tube skin a coyote or coon it says to remove an exess fat or grease. What do they term grease? last night i just spent half hour skinning a coyote and 2.5 hours fleshing and sewing holes and i still have more fleshing around the face.
After i reread the pelt handling file I am now thinking that i may not have had to flesh the membrane off? By membrane i am referring a white layer that is about 1/16 or 1/8 of inch thick thats attatched the leather part of the hide. Last nights yote was the first time i really got to see the membrane peel off the leather like that. All the times before it was really slimy or i had a dull fleshing knife and i could never get it off without a sander when it dried up a bit
unsure.gif

Also wondering what does your hind quarters (flanks) look like when you put it on the stretcher. Mine just look kinda like flaps wrapped around and I overlapped them and pinned them on the stretcher guessing i should not of overlapped them but do you trim them shorter then?

If it is requiered to flesh the hide how long can one expect to get a hide done on average from the first cut of skinning untils its on the stretcher- after last night i need to shave of about 2.5 hours for is to be worth while.

Also wondering do they use the arm pit and neck area of a coyote or do they dock the price for imperfections in these areas? My last yote i put up i messed up around the front legs and ended up with one big square hole - i basically cut out the armpits and legs. It also has some good cuts in the neck do these need to be sewed?

wow this got long. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:
after you get the membrane off, your pretty much done. theres a little fat that needs scraped off, but it should come with the membrane, you really dont need to worry about anything above the ears. they only use the fur from the ears to the tail. most furbuyers here, wants the legs tucked inside but I split mine and do them like a bobcat. the flanks, I just wrap aroung and pin, the important part is get all the fat off and you should be good to go
wink.gif
it takes me a while to put up a yote also. but I knew a guy that took and hour to put up a muskrat. its all in the presentation
wink.gif

Grease is the liquid that will form on the skin as its drying, you'll have more grease with coons then yotes.

Here are some decent vids that show everything - no idea who the guy is, but not bad for a quick internet search.

I have never had a problem cutting the front legs off closer to the body - just enough to cover the hole when turned fur out - your local fur buyers may like it other ways. You do need to get the white stuff and all fat off for best results. Get yourself a box of borax (cheap) and apply it to the slimy area and also to areas that don't dry as quick as others (underarms and along tail channel) - it really helps. I also turn the hide on the stretcher a little sooner than he does because it's easier if it's slightly more pliable.

As for the time involved - take your time and do it right and your times will improve with experience. Good luck.

SKINNING:

FLESHING:

STRETCHING:

Last edited:
It takes practice, practice, practice to get efficient at putting up fur. I have been doing it since I was 15 and I am 43 now. It takes me about 25 minutes from the time I put knife on carcass til hide is fleshed and on a forming board. You will learn the short cuts as you go and talk to you fur buyer to see how he wants them. The only thing I recommend is a quality fleshing knife. Necker makes a good one that has two blades on it. A dull side and a sharp side. You will need them both. Practice on opossums. They are a little thiner than most, but if you get good at them your set. I have my son's start out on opossums and skunks until they get the hang of it. Also you can get a few $$$ for them as well.
If you are in this for the $$$/ hours worked. Forget it. This is a labor of love for all of us and you can't put a price on that.

Just keep at it and watch those videos of Ryan.

I called the local NAFA agent that goes around and picks up furs for the auction. He said to jsut get the meat and fat off and the slimy membrane. and thats all he does. He said he doesnt take the membrane down to the leather. I imagine its all personal preference in the sense what you put in you feel you will get back out of it. I can only imagine fleshing down to the leather will look better and bring better money.
On a good note the fleshing did go alot better this time but i have to be more careful in not cutting the hide. And it will help save time not having to flesh the head.

ok i just had to time to view the fleshing video- he has done a few coyotes. Mine doesnt go that smooth at all. LOL especialy around the face, it just peeled of like a banana.

Those are good videos. Putting up fur is the only way to do it in my book. Yea it takes a while but it is better than staring at the tv; nothing but crap on tv anyway, especially with this being an election year.

Just keep doing it. I only got serious about putting it up myself in the last 2 years. I really enjoy doing it.

Back