223 load from today

Well with the wind hammering and it being cold, I decided to reload. I made up some 223 round for my AR15. I used RP brass, CCI #400 primers, H355 powder and 55 gr Varmageddon bullets. I had to go .182" off the lands to get mag length. I hope they do the job. I started off at 24.1 and went up .3 in groups of 5 for testing the new loads out with my new scope coming. I hope to get this rifle 1 MOA by the end of summer.

I have not loaded any Varmageddon bullets, but .182" jump seems like a lot. 53gr V-Max in mine is .100". Maybe you have a 5.56 Nato chamber?

With ball powders I always use Magnum primers[CCI 450]. They light the powder better. Also I pay close attention to the flash holes, and always de-burr them [on the inside of the case] for ball powders. It just make a big difference for me.

What is you rifle?

I was always a big time h335 fan for the .223 but I decided to try some of the benchmark and was able to shrink my groups from .50 down to .24 in my rock river PP.

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachI was always a big time h335 fan for the .223 but I decided to try some of the benchmark and was able to shrink my groups from .50 down to .24 in my rock river PP.

Actually I would look at Varget, or Benchmark, for "accuracy"
powders. I have never been a fan of spherical powders in
general. Yes they meter well, but they often shoot dirty,
and can be temperature sensitive. Varget and Benchmark are
small grain extruded powders, that burn clean and are claimed
to be less sensitive to temperature changes. My fast accurate
loads have Varget charges, and my moderate velocity accurate
loads have Benchmark charges. I also load VV N133, which is
by far my most accurate load, but the Vihtavuori 100 series
powders are a bit temperature sensitive, so I developed those
loads in warmer weather for warmer weather.

Best of luck with the load development. Remember, what you
develop for loads this time of year in NW Wisconsin, may not
shoot well, or show signs of pressure, in July. Voice of
experience here.
rolleyes.gif
I once developed a very nice
shooting load, for my 22-250 Rem. using H380 powder, in
winter. I had a feral cat working the edge of my meadow,
in July. Out comes the 22-250 Rem. for the dispatch with
extreme prejudice. I took out Mr. Kitty, but I had to
pry the bolt open on the rifle. The near max H380 load in
February, was WAY OVER PRESSURE in July. We four seasons
shooters need to pay attention to which powders we load
with, and what time of the year we develop loads.

Squeeze

The loads I am shooting right now were developed over last winter and I was brand new at reloading. The loads were warm in January but no warmer in July, Varget makes things pretty easy.

FWIW-I to have found Varget to be more accurate and cleaner than H335 in my .223.I hear a lot of good reports on Benchmark so I"ll try it when the others run low.

In any rifle you will need to determine what powder/bullet combo works best in your rifle. I tried all the standard accuracy powders in my AR 223 and ended up using TAC.. Yours may like TAC or it may like something else..

Once again, there are no shortcuts in load development.

And a word on the CCI 400 primers. They have the thinnest cup of all the primers out threre, aside from the Federals. I'd use something with a thicker cup myself..

primerchart.jpg

+1 to zilla"s post. I have 3 AR's, all like something different for accuracy loads. I have not had any problems with the cci 400's though, but good info if something wierd starts to happen.
Andrew

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerVarget makes things pretty easy.

Yes it does. I have had three .223 rifles that shot their very best groups with Varget. For the last several years the only way that I even buy Varget is by the 8 lb jug as I go through a pound of it way too quick.

I have had great luck with TAC (26.5gr) pushing a 40 gr vmax non bench rest 5 shot group avg .338 at 100yds.
Currently working up a load with BL-C2 (26gr) pushing 68gr HDY BTHP, groups are averaging .783 right now, waiting for the gale force winds to stop blowing so I can shoot for size again before making anymore adjustments.

In short I have had great luck with both of these powders, however the BL-C2 does seem to be a bit more temperature sensitive.

Back