.243, 25-06, or .270 Tikka?

TripleDeuce660

I'm between .243, 25-06, and .270.

The only rifle I have now is a .223.

The main reason for a new gun is to hunt hogs in CA and FL(meat size < 150 lbs). Here in CA all the hogs are in the lead ban zone. Happens that this area is also great for coyote and thus this will do double duty as a lead free coyote buster too. Might even get it out if its really windy calling in the desert.

I hate sighting in etc. I want one load that I will use on everything. .243 would be 80 gr ttsx or 85 gr tsx, 25-06 100 gr ttsx or tsx, .270 130 gr ttsx or tsx.

I'm a recoil wuss. I'm hesitant on the .270 because the tikka is so light weight and that is a lot of recoil and muzzle blast for coyote. I like the ammo selection and the power to take the largest bore or elk.

I'm hesitant on the .243 because it may not have the power for the larger hogs or if I ever wanted to take an elk. It does have great ammo selection and cheaper too. The recoil and muzzle blast will be gentle.

This leaves the 25-06. It should have much less recoil with 100 gr pills then the .270 with 130. I can always load 120 gr. in the 25-06 if I want to try for an elk some day or hogzilla. The power is very close to .270. Ammo selection is not as good but not bad.

What I want to know is how much velocity am I going to lose with a 22" BBL? I know the 25-06 likes long barrels. How will the recoil compare between the three? How will the noise compare?

And no I don't want a .257 roberts.

Last edited:
.270 given that you own a .223 and mentioned Elk hunting. Friend of mine took an Elk this year with a .270 at about 200 yards.

Originally Posted By: packhunter.270 given that you own a .223 and mentioned Elk hunting. Friend of mine took an Elk this year with a .270 at about 200 yards.

Yeah but I may never hunt an elk I just like elk burgers lol. More likely to stick with boar and mule deer. The 120 gr. from the 25-06 should handle an elk.

Last edited:
This is just my opinion but if the word "Elk" is in the game you are listing, .270 is the minimum caliber I would recommend.

I'm not trying to start a pissing match. I know the .243 and the 25.06 have a place in the Elk hunting world, it's just not for me.

For deer, hogs and coyotes, I would go with the 25.06.

Last edited:
I have killed 2 hogs ( Russian Boars ) my first one weighing in at 355 lbs dropped him like a rock with my .243 at 75 yrds with a 90 gr. remmington soft tip. You can also buy 65 gr for the .243. whick would do great for coyotes. Dont know much about the other guns you have listed.

I would go a 7mm-08
But that’s just me, I have both and the 25-06 can handle this too.
You asked for 22 inch and speed, here what I Have with my Tikka T3 25-06,
She didn’t like the heavier bullet, would stick with the one
She loved; 100gr Bal-Tip.
When I'm saying MAX, it mean, you can go faster (I’ve tried it) but primer pocket don’t liked it and accuracy is weakening:

3225 fps with a 100gr is my MAX load
2905 fps with a 117 SST, accuracy was 1.25 " MAX load
3400 fps with 85gr Bal-Tip MAX
Last fall I Tried the Sierra HPBT 90gr @ 3250 fps,
150 yards, Deer didn’t like that round
wink.gif

It did exactly what I was expecting IE: Goes IN and blew everything inside, without any exit/ meat wound
My 100gr do a bit more damage (more penetration) And may damage lots of counterside meat. I have Lots of picture but would be inappropriate to put them on-line.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eclipse71I would go a 7mm-08
But that’s just me, I have both and the 25-06 can handle this too.
You asked for 22 inch and speed, here what I Have with my Tikka T3 25-06,
She didn’t like the heavier bullet, would stick with the one
When I'm saying MAX, it mean, you can go faster (I’ve tried it) but primer pocket don’t liked it and accuracy is weakening:
She loved; 100gr Bal-Tip.

3225 fps with a 100gr is my MAX load
2905 fps with a 117 SST, accuracy was 1.25 " MAX load
3400 fps with 85gr Bal-Tip MAX
Last fall I Tried the Sierra HPBT 90gr @ 3250 fps,
150 yards, Deer didn’t like that round
wink.gif

It did exactly what I was expecting IE: Goes IN and blew everything inside, without any exit/ meat wound
My 100gr do a bit more damage (more penetration) And may damage lots of counterside meat. I have Lots of picture but would be inappropriate to put them on-line.

Nice, thanks for some data from a tikka. Its still going plenty fast and flat.

You can't go wrong with any of them. All will kill what you want.

Looking at what you own, the others nailed it. The 270 seems to get the nod. The 270 won't beat you up either. Regarding recoil, that round goes off pretty much effortlessly (I mean you won't flinch when it goes boom, no scope eye, you can shoot 4 boxes without doing the relief pitcher stretches, etc).

BTW, you can also get the Federal Premium Hyper Velocity Ammunition 270 Winchester 110 Grain Barnes Tipped Triple-Shock Lead-Free as well. So essentially you’re getting the same round as your proposed 25-06 round with more versatility in a caliber.

It sounds like you’re going w/the 25-06 anyway (good choice as well, they all are) but the offerings that a 270 has makes it a good caliber for anything in the 50 states (IMHO).

Last edited:
TripleDeuce from Garbage Gulch,
I'd also go with the .270 for big pig and other bigger prey you might want to shoot. Just put a thicker butt pad on her that'll take care of the kick issue along with a kick pad or even a towel against your shoulder that'll help reduce that kick that worries you. Ya sure don't want some pissed off pig comin after you if you just wing it.

Well, a 243 is short action the rest are long action. The twist of the barrel will limit the bullet weight.

In the short action the 308win family your have 243win, 7mm-08 and 308win.

Long action 270win or 30-06.

With where you live the 7mm-08 would make a good choice. You can find ammo loaded with Barnes bullets, they are lead free. It would make a clean kill on hog or elk. 7mm-08 are known for lighter recoil. As for the length of barrel 22 & 24 are fine.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660tikka has one action length for all rifles so that doesn't matter at all.

One length with a bolt stop. Same "feel" as a short action.

As for your options, 243 would be my choice.

Since you're a recoil sissy
wink.gif
the 243 would be the likely choice, but it's not an elk rifle by any means. If you'll keep the elk hunting about of it, I'd say the 243 would be the way to go. Toss in elk, and the 270 would be the best choice for sure.

Back