Just when you thought you had tried it all... 14 Hit the dirt...

getemclose

This could get a little long winded but Marty and I got into some straight ridiculous coyote calling saturday and sunday. You see ive been out in this specific area atleast 2-3 times this season traveling for work. Its flat as a pancake and you would have to have a screw loose to try to call it. Very little cover and lots of trails through it. Anyways on my last trip through after a fresh snow I was seeing a ridiculous amount of coyote tracks.. A railroad cut through the area and it looked like they were traveling it heavy..... We HAD to try it
smile.gif

Late friday afternoon I give Marty a call and asked if he is off work. He is an is on his way back to town.. I tell him we should meet up for a quick stand in some rough country. its an area that gets called but its worth a shot as we only have an hour of light left.. We meet up and dive out into it.. Ive retired my gun for the season and im just laying down some straight awsome HD video.. I started the stand with 5-6 lone howls. paused then did 2 more. Marty was below me with his .243 waiting for any customers.. Soon I went into some distress cries and wouldnt you know it I have a double coming in hard.. Up and over a large canyon they come and the male is out way ahead.. I video him coming within 100 steps and Marty anchors him.. I let the area settle for a bit then give some hurt pup.. Wasnt a minute and I have another male coming in pissed off.. You can probally guess how it ended, lets hope saturday and sunday go this well
smile.gif

IMG_0113.jpg

This is were things get just ridiculous. I can almost guarantee I will never have another streak like this in my lifetime.. Well I might but I doubt it.. We head out into the barren flatlands that we were going to attempt to call.. Just as the sun peaks over the ridge we spot a large cattle ranch with some cattail cover behind it.. There could easily be a coyote out here. After hiding the truck behind a small berm we walk 1/2 mile into the set. immediately Marty spots two dogs playing in the snow about 1/2 mile out.. We start calling and glance up into the cattle. Two coyotes come bombing out of the cows on a dead run to us.. Im getting awsome footage as the lead male charges out onto the frozen stock dam in front of us. Bang whop we have 1# in the truck the female would never come closer..

IMG_0104.jpg

Back to the pickup and we see fresh tracks going directly across the road. We race up to the farmers place and ask for permission. he says get after it! Just as we are leaving his yard we spot a pair out in his dirt field playing.. The wind will be ideal for us to sneak in from the opposite road and call them.

We walked along ways in and get setup on a very small rise.. Marty begins calling and its not 10 minutes and the pair emerges from the CRP. Once again im getting awsome footage. we let them come super close and marty stones the male.. if a pair comes in we always will shoot the male first. Need to leave some females for seed:)

s.jpg

The fur is looking awsome as well thus far! The next set we treck way out into a CRP section. we call a pair in but they came in the exact wrong spot and both escape un harmed
frown.gif

Ok brush it off the next set we bump two fox on the walk in.. We were given specifc instructions not too shoot the fox as they feed out of the farmers dog dish and he likes watching them! Ok fair enough! We setup in a not so great looking spot but wouldnt you know it we call a big male in from over a mile out.. straight down the cattle trail he comes and we have #3 in the truck.

Off to the next set. A huge lake with some cover around it. It dont look all that great but hey, none of this stuff were calling looks great, we are way out of our comfort zone but the predators are here! call call call, wouldnt you know it hard chargeing double, great video, one down.. this is getting easy..

on to the next set we spot a dog walking in. we just drop down right in the middle of the trrail and start calling at him. he is not liking it but I glance to my left and here come two hard chargers down the freekin truck trail! The video turned out awsome and we have another dog in the truck!
ss.jpg

light is failing and we have time for one last call. we really picked our spots careful and are way under our average for calls made in a day. we have five in the pickup and rush to a last chance spot.. We setup on a berm overlooking a creek bottom. I look at marty and tell him to get ready! just as the sun is setting here comes a double screaming down the creek.. male leads the way and checks up at 75 BANG WHOP females is off on a dead run and marty ROLLS her. that was the best video ive ever gotten! thats seven stands seven coyotes and 100% call in ratio for the day. craxy part is the next day the streak would continue.... to be continued..
IMG_0114.jpg

sssss.jpg

seven and the two from the day before.

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the same area we go on sunday. weather is just as awsome, no wind.! I need to speed this story up as I need to get out the door..

First set is a little down the road from were we left off the day before.. hit the call and get run over by a big male.. dangit! little more calling and the female shows up at 75 paces bang flop. awsome fur.

ssssssss.jpg

next set call one into 600 yards he comes no closer. Finally our streak ends... wait nevermind just about to get up from our next spot and a dog suicide charges the call. he is running full out and marty rolls him running.

sssssssss.jpg

next set we end the streak. nothing called in
frown.gif

Later that afternoon we call in a smokin hard charger and make him look like a pin cushion oops!

ssssssssssss.jpg

try a few more spots nothing.. then on the last stand we bring in a pair and marty works his magic and kills them both. they came down a fence row from about 3/4 mile away. awsome footage!

ssssssssssssssssssss.jpg

sssssssssssssssssssssss.jpg

ssssssssssssssssssssssz.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

livin the dream, atleast on the weekends.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Good going Mitch, you guys must have a ship load of coyotes up there. I hunted hard this season & only seen a total of 7
blink.gif
Down 50-60 from previous yrs.

That's an awesome weekend and the month still isn't over yet!!! I saw your other post about killing over 300 so far this season! That's an impressive number especially for only hunting 2 days a week!!

Saw the pic of the camera, what model are you running?

thanks, believe it is the canon xha1 it seems to take real great footage! im new to it so Im pretty green to all of it but im learning.

What editing software are you using? I found the videopad video editor (free download) online and love it. It's easy to use. You can add soundtracks, voice overs, shorten,lengthen footage...etc. Edited my daughters gymnastics meets into one short film. The tutorial is pretty helpful too and it will let you do HD video.

Ha that is some awesome stuff. From looking at your posts you all use .243's and for the most part have little pelt damage.

Any advice on that?

Jake

Weekends/hunts like that keep us going during the dry periods. We have had a decent time of calling lately as well. Not quite as good as what you guys did, and we don't shoot quite as straight, but it is a hoot! Nice job!

Back