Spring Bear Season!!

d2admin

Administrator
Still 5 days till spring bear season opens here in Wyo. I thought I would see if anyone else is hunting already. Anyone have any bear stories to tell for this year?

MTSTCON -

Our black bear baiting season opened the 15th of April. But the bears still are not out where I am. Actually we can hunt blacks all year with a limit of 3. Its baiting them that has a season. I don't bait preferring to call them so thats not a restriction for me. I was out a couple of days ago scouting my areas but they just don't seem to be out yet. We still have a bunch of snow that is going fast. Maybe in a week or so as feed becomes available. Around here if you chase blacks you hope that they come out on the early side of spring as in late spring the griz come out making life a bit more exciting. Grizz season closes here either the end of May or June depending which unit that I hunt.

Yeah the wait is on..

John,
I envy your long bear season, I really envy your Griz season. I live in the Northwest part of Wyo., and they won't let us bait at all because of the (endangered?) grizzly. I was out this past weekend looking around a bit, there isn't any sign here right now either. Hope it warms a bit and gets the blacks moving. Good luck with your hunt.

MTSTCON -

We are not allowed to hunt over bait for grizzilies at all! If one comes in on your black bear bait it is his! The griz are in no way endangered here. Way too many of them. The high population of griz together with the wolves are taking its toll on the moose population. In my area we can take a griz a year. Other areas in Alaska have 4 year cycles to protect them from over harvest. The Interior grizz are generally smaller then the coastals but are a bit nastier.

Bob/SoCal -

I don't know about hunting griz as a dream hunt or not. I really try not to shoot them as if I do I have to skin them, get the hide sealed, etc. and thats not real fun. But I'll tell you calling them in is a real thrill. I try to cut the call (hand call) before they locate me completely. They tend to get real mad and really charge in or they are sneaky you just can't predict them. Surviving the stand is the thrill!! Problem is that they will come in when I'm trageting other critters requiring me to carry something besides my 223.

John, more info please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

What kind of hand calls are you using? Are you using bait as a lure, or both in concert? I'm thinking you're hunting as a team as those things can get pretty nasty. I've had some run-ins with Grizzlies up in Montana just south of Glacier NP. Many years ago but they left an impression I'll never forget. Went to buy a drift boat for a fly fishing guiding business I was involved with, was warned but like the idiots we were..set out anyway. The potential for disaster was there, but it didn't happen. We left in one piece. A couple of hunters a few weeks earlier weren't so lucky, hunting birds, small shot, dogs...you can imagine the rest.

Anyway, it's a dream hunt for me. The ultimate in dangerous game in my opinion. It'll happen.

Back