Marlin 336 .35 Remington value

Roger London

I found a pretty nice old Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. at a pawn shop the other day. It has a few small scratches in the pistol grip of the stock and on the pistol grip cap. The blueing is very good, I can't find a mark on the metal at all. The S/N puts it as 1977 manufacture. They are asking $380.00 out the door. Seems a little steep, but they won't budge. Told them I'd have to think about it. What would be a fair price for one of these guns?

That is very high... I bought the same gun, in the same caliber, with fancy AAA grade stock and fore end, and paid $250 for it at Cabelas (not known for giving good prices).

Originally Posted By: Roger LondonI found a pretty nice old Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. at a pawn shop the other day. It has a few small scratches in the pistol grip of the stock and on the pistol grip cap. The blueing is very good, I can't find a mark on the metal at all. The S/N puts it as 1977 manufacture. They are asking $380.00 out the door. Seems a little steep, but they won't budge. Told them I'd have to think about it. What would be a fair price for one of these guns?

I'm guessing 336c 20" barrel, blue book has it at $250 + $25 for 35 cal that's 90%
If it's a 336a 24" barrel you're looking at $350 + $35 for 35 cal 90%
They did make a Texan in 35cal in 1977 but it had a strait stock
the normal run of the mill marlins are worth anywhere from $200 to $350 but if you see one
with a 336sc or an 336sd on it you can add $100 to it. a sporting stock...
the 35 remingtons are not hard to find but are not as easy as the 30/30....
their's not alot of differance in the two..peformance wise.. i think the 30/30 is more versatile..

I can buy a brand new one at Whittaker's for right around $440. This gun is interesting to me because it's an older one and is pre-safety. But I think I'll have to pass. Thanks, fellas.

I know the thing about the safety and have had both, never had a problem with either, i know they don't look as good, but a friend of mine loaned a 30/30 without the safety to his father in law and when they were getting out of the truck his father law discharged one right behind his head through the truck roof...
he said after he cleaned his pants and got his hearing back he got pissed.....that's why it's there to keep people who don't know how to operate a firearm safely a little bit safer, besides i always learn how to use the firearm before i go hunting with it, safety or not. Good Luck I hope you do find what your looking for at a price that's right..

I paid $400 for a Marlin 444S 3 years ago in mint condition, Used Marlins have been going up in price for the last 2 years because of the crappy craftsmanship that Marlin is puting out of the Remington factory now. I myself would buy it for the $380, I just picked up a 1979 336 30-30 for $350. Good luck, Lay down $350 CASH in front of them and see if they take it.----Riflemann

I dont know what they cost but the one I have that shoots one hole at 100 yards is not going anywhere even for 6 or $700. Not for sale.
Daryl P.

Old pre-safety (1983) Marlins are currently bringing a premium. Do not compare pricing against newly manufactured Rem-Lins, they are inferior,(by value), to the older Marlin Manufactured guns. Book prices do no really apply and can be used as a base line only. Marlin prices vary by region as well. They are more common on the used racks in the Eastern part of the country and usually bring a few more dollars in other parts of the U.S.. $380 out the door is not an unreasonable price for a 1977 specimen if it's in excellent condition and you want it!

Back