.17 fireball reloading help

huntin_buck

Can anybody help me out with some .17 fireball loads? Also need to know what type of bullet, primers, and powder you're using. Any websites with loads and ballistics would also be helpful. Thanks.

A healthy dose of H4198 behind a good 20gr bullet (I like Nagels)has been working in my 22" barreled CZ for several years now.
I don't post powder charges on-line, but go to the Hodgdon site listed above.
Start low and work up using their data and you'll find the sweet spot.
Luck

FWIW, Another good one is Benchmark behind Nagel 25's. My buddy uses it in a 20" tube with good results.

Last edited:
I only shoot 25's out of my 17FB. Mine likes H4198 with 25gr Vmax's and N133 with 25gr Bergers. Ordering some Nagels this week to play with.

Saubier is the place to do some searches for small caliber loads and info.

Mine liked 12.5 grains of IMR 4198, Hornady 25grain bullets and Winchester small rifle primers. It is pretty important to make sure your powder measure is throwing very consistently or trickle each load or use an electronic measure to get them as close as possible. Remember, that is a small case and not alot of powder so any variance in the charge will have a greater effect on accuracy than something like a 30-06. The above load is slower {around 3700fps, IIRC} than the factory loads {4200??} for this rifle but it grouped very well for me.

I've had success with Benchmark inj both my 17 FB's but I recentally tried some 10X out of my custom 700 and groups shrank considerably. I'm using the Nagel 25 grain T-000's I got the load info from Todd Kindlers book but I also saw it on the Saubier forum. Remington 7-1/2 primers for everything.

Back