Here's one for you hound hunters:

James Lindley

They are having the anual Hinkel Schillings World series at the Hinkel Schillings Fox Pen this weekend. When they cast the dogs this morning there 240 hounds set loose in a 750 acre pen at the same time. This pen has a 7 foot fence around it with an electric shock wire at the bottom of it about 10 inches off the ground to keep the coyotes or foxes from going under the fence.

Now do you guys have an idea of where I am coming from when I tell you that there are some aspects of this sport that I have a problem with? It isn't that I am against fair chase but good God fellas!!. While some of you are giving fair chase, there are lot more that are just out for the bloodsport side of it. Those are the ones that are ruining it for ones such as Nitefright, Steven Illsley and others. I am not ragging the hound hunters in here but this is the type of stuff that I was referring to.

There are dogs in that 240 that are trained as "cutter dogs". :eek: Does anyone in here know what a "cutter dog" is?

I will wait to see if you do then I will enlighten you as to what there purpose is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ....... James L.

I guess there are hunters and there are killers.
That sounds horrible and terribly unsporting. Your right when you say certain people are hurting this sport. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

You've got my curiosity peeked as to cutter dogs, I'm sure it's not good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Probably not alot left of the unlucky contestant either.

NiteFright

Nitefright you are pretty sharp in your deduction. Cutter dogsare ones that are used in pen running that actually feel out the coyote and figure out where he is crossing at. There are only so many places that a yote can run on 750 acres with dogs on his but. Once the yfigure out his crossings they litterally cut him off. Catching him long enough for the rest of the dogs to get there and rip him to shreds. If the contestants would do it right and only run so many dogs at a time it would be a whole lot more sporting. Back when Mr. Schillings was alive crap like this didn't go on and some of the races have lasted for up to 8 hours. Lots of fun listening to the dogs run. I won't even mention the red foxes that they have in there. They last about 30 minutes with all those dogs on him. Now you take a coyote that is out in the open like you guys do it. Hey that dog better be in pretty good shape cause he is in for the run of his life.

You take the stuff like that and it is what really ticks me off. No sport to it in my opinion but people come from all over the country to participate in this run. I really like to hear a good dog run. Standing there listening to him bay as he gets after it. (Think I'm gonna get me another beagle. lol) Kinda sad as they think that they are having a fun time:( See you guys around and keep that info coming this way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif . ....James L.

They might as well chain the coyote to a tree and bash him with rocks as far as I'm concerned!

I have no love for it. Thats lazy and cruel. The animal is probably so stessed out before it s even released. In the wild yes, in a pen? with 240 hounds? Nah...

...Boy I'd sure hate to have 240 of anything chasing me! :eek:

BTW can't go wrong with a good beagle, I'd have one or so but my buddies got that base covered /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks for the insite James,

NiteFright

Hi To You Guys That Think Its So Bad Look At This
April The Hunters's Horn Mag. Its The 12th Annual
SHRINERS Field Trial And Bench Show May 3-4 02.
At The United Fox Pen In SWainsboro, GA. All
PRoceeds Go Directly To The SHRINER's HOSPITALS
For BURNED And CRIPPLED CHILDREN. FOX HUNTERS With
HEARTS. From The Sport Of Foxhunting We Have Been Able To Contribute Over $80,000. There Are Alot
Of This Tipe OF Hunts In The Hunter's Horn Like
This One All Year Long Between The US&Canada. SO
There Is Some Good Not All Bad.

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

How big is the United Fox Pen in Ga. Steven? Do they cast the hounds all at one time or do they cast them in turns of 15 or so at a time. I will stick by my feelings that it is unsportsman like to cast 240 hounds at a time in a 750 acre pen at one time. I have no problem with pen hunting as long as it is done correctly. If the pen is thousands of acres and the coyote, or fox has somewhere to go then it is different.

Just because they put the Shriner name in front of it doesn't make it OK. And it doesn't make it sportsman like either.. Game animals deserve our utmost respect and this just simply isn't giving it to them...>>>>>>>James L.

Back