Dtech 20 tactical. What should I try?

smith1559

Got a 20 tactical from Dtech on order and I got some time gather up my reloading stuff but I would like to know some thoughts from some people who have been shooting the 20tac on the AR platform. I have a 1-10twist 24 inch barrel coming. I was going to get the Lapua 20tac brass and hopeing to shoot the 40g Bergers or 39g Blitzkings. I have Varget and Benchmark powders on hand. Any powders, bullets, primers you think I should get to get me started. Maybe even some starting loads....Jason

Dakota makes 20 tac brass also, lapuas better probably. I used 20 tac brass when I was shooting a 17 tac. It was good brass.

I have had my best luck out of the 20pr with benchmark and 35gr burgers. Have not tried the 40's yet and did not have good results with the 39gr. Also had good results with h322.

Last edited:
My DTECH .20TAC is also a 1:10, 22"
It really likes 39gr Blitzkings with Benchmark & 35Bergers with H322. Dakota/Lapua brass & WSR primers.
Kilt p-dogs out past 650yds with both loads, but settled on the Blitzkings for better windbuckability. Keep the 35s loaded for predators, but haven't done enough with them to comment...

When time draws near, shoot me a PM & I'll give ya what I have for load data...

knockemdown, I will take you up on that load data, it will be a bit Dtech said it would be a few months. Looks like I should try some h322 I have scene that powder alot for the 20tac. Glad to see the 39gr's shoot good. Thats the bullet I really would like to shoot...

I loaded the H322 when I first aquired my Dtech and it shot very well although using data from Hodgdon's the speed was not that great. I have tried a half dozen or more different powders and all have shot good to great. The only powder that I would not recommend is Reloder 10X as that stuff is a bear to clean out of your barrel.
The 39gr Sierra shoots great out of mine which is a 1/12 twist but I was not to happy with its performance on coyotes so I have switched back to 35gr bergers. I am currently using H4198 but I just tried some AR Comp in my Ruger No1 .204 and it was pretty impressive velocity wise so I may give it a test soon.

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSDakota makes 20 tac brass also, lapuas better probably.

Laupa and Dakota are one in the same. Adam

Anybody else shoot the 20tac in ar? Looks like the Ar Comp and Imr 8208 give some better velocitys. Anybody try that 50grain Berger yet... Jason

Last edited:
I have to scratch my head a little at people who use Lapua brass in the 20 tac. I thought the whole purpose of choosing the round over the Ruger .204 was cheap milspec brass? Otherwise it's almost as good as the Ruger .204 and just as expensive to shoot. What am I missing? Is it really just wanting to have the correct headstamp?

Just curious.

Quote:I have to scratch my head a little at people who use Lapua brass in the 20 tac....I had the same question, especially for an AR...I'm getting ready to build a .20 Practical bolt action due to having several thousand rounds of .223 brass...and I certainly won't be spending the high dollars on more brass...

Lapua is nice if you are going to be shooting money matches, but I'd rather put the extra dollars into my optics...

Originally Posted By: ricky_arthurI have to scratch my head a little at people who use Lapua brass in the 20 tac. I thought the whole purpose of choosing the round over the Ruger .204 was cheap milspec brass? Otherwise it's almost as good as the Ruger .204 and just as expensive to shoot. What am I missing? Is it really just wanting to have the correct headstamp?

Just curious.

That's an easy question to answer, Ricky!
Using the 'good stuff' makes loading for the .20TAC a 'turn key' proposition
smile.gif
And a 'turn key' .20TAC is one accurate SOB that doesn't have the potential feeding issues that some .204 uppers seem to have from time to time. Ask enough guys with .204 uppers & you'll hear about 'em...

And compared to the .20Practical, there is no need to deal with necking down, making donuts, trimming to uniform size, or dealing with inconsistent thickness of mixed headstamp .223 brass. The Lapua/Dakota brass is excellent in quality & consistency.

I actually chose the .20TAC over the other .20 cals specifically because of the availability of Lapua/Dakota brass
laugh.gif

Sure the initial cost is more, but I've never thought of shooting as being a cheap hobby anyway.
And considering a dude is gonna spend close to a grand on a custom upper, and at least half that more on a decent scope for it, what's a couple extra bucks on the back end to use good brass that can be loaded straight from the box?

Man, I'll tell ya, loading several hundred rounds of p-dog ammo is a heckuvalot more efficient with the 'good stuff'. I enjoy reloading, but it's a means to an end. And that end comes about more quickly & easily with 'turn key' brass.

If a shooter has ooodles of time on their hands, and access to lots of free .223 brass and already has the proper sizing dies, then the .20Practical seems like a super idea! But then again, once you do all the work to neck down .223 brass, trim & shoot it once, you could just as easily fire it in a .20TAC chambered rifle and have brass fireformed for that instead! And you are gonna need dies either way, unless you already have a bushing .223 die already. Which I doubt many .223 AR shooters are presently using to roll .223 ammo. Considering that, most guys are gonna need to purchase a bushing die + bushings to form .20Practical brass anyway...

OR, as outlined above, have your AR chambered in .20TAC, and buy .20TAC brass & dies. Then, load beautiful consistent ammo quick & easy and go shoot! The sting of paying for it all goes away soon enough...
wink.gif

Personally, I prefer to resized LC brass to 20 tac than the Dakota/Lapua 20 Tac brass. I bought a few hundred Dakota brass when I got my 20 tactical and resized the same with LC brass. I only use the LC now and the Dakota stays in zip loc.

In Powders, I really like Benchmark.

Mike

I use 32 BK and RL10, it may be dirty but they are FAST! So fast that I'm not sure if my chrono is working right after getting the results with these. Well over 4000 fps. Great on pd's. Mine is also a 1 in 10 twist and it liked the 32 BK better than the 39 BK. My coyote loads are 35 Bergers and Benchmark, sub MOA but nothing eye poppin. I even tried the Hornady 24 grain NTX's, never chronographed them but they were just over MOA.

I also chose the 20tac over the others for the ready formed Lapua brass. Just load and shoot. Plus Mike at Dtech told me thats the one he would choose. He also said feed and function are better than the ruger in the AR. I am sure the Practical is great also but I just liked the thought of loading consistent from the start with the high quality brass.......

Any Velocitys on that 35g Berger? Looks like thats the coyote bullet people go to. Probley going to use mine mostly for G-hogs though. Hopefully P-dogs one day. Keep the info coming...Thanks Jason

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: knockemdownOriginally Posted By: ricky_arthurI have to scratch my head a little at people who use Lapua brass in the 20 tac. I thought the whole purpose of choosing the round over the Ruger .204 was cheap milspec brass? Otherwise it's almost as good as the Ruger .204 and just as expensive to shoot. What am I missing? Is it really just wanting to have the correct headstamp?

Just curious.

That's an easy question to answer, Ricky!
Using the 'good stuff' makes loading for the .20TAC a 'turn key' proposition
smile.gif
And a 'turn key' .20TAC is one accurate SOB that doesn't have the potential feeding issues that some .204 uppers seem to have from time to time. Ask enough guys with .204 uppers & you'll hear about 'em...

And compared to the .20Practical, there is no need to deal with necking down, making donuts, trimming to uniform size, or dealing with inconsistent thickness of mixed headstamp .223 brass. The Lapua/Dakota brass is excellent in quality & consistency.

I actually chose the .20TAC over the other .20 cals specifically because of the availability of Lapua/Dakota brass
laugh.gif

Sure the initial cost is more, but I've never thought of shooting as being a cheap hobby anyway.
And considering a dude is gonna spend close to a grand on a custom upper, and at least half that more on a decent scope for it, what's a couple extra bucks on the back end to use good brass that can be loaded straight from the box?

Man, I'll tell ya, loading several hundred rounds of p-dog ammo is a heckuvalot more efficient with the 'good stuff'. I enjoy reloading, but it's a means to an end. And that end comes about more quickly & easily with 'turn key' brass.

If a shooter has ooodles of time on their hands, and access to lots of free .223 brass and already has the proper sizing dies, then the .20Practical seems like a super idea! But then again, once you do all the work to neck down .223 brass, trim & shoot it once, you could just as easily fire it in a .20TAC chambered rifle and have brass fireformed for that instead! And you are gonna need dies either way, unless you already have a bushing .223 die already. Which I doubt many .223 AR shooters are presently using to roll .223 ammo. Considering that, most guys are gonna need to purchase a bushing die + bushings to form .20Practical brass anyway...

OR, as outlined above, have your AR chambered in .20TAC, and buy .20TAC brass & dies. Then, load beautiful consistent ammo quick & easy and go shoot! The sting of paying for it all goes away soon enough...
wink.gif

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I never thought of improved feeding as a reason to go with the Tac or Prac, because I've been shooting an AR in .204 for several years and have never had a single malfunction, nor have a I heard of any reliability issues with .204's. ???? Just me I guess.

My Brother has a Dtech 20 Practical that will hopefully be done in March and cheap brass was the main consideration in his decision on which of the 20 calibers to go with.

Somebody in this thread asked about the 50 grain bergers. I have a dtech with a 24" barrel in a 9 twist. Bullet is very accurate and hard on pelts. I have since switched to 35 grain bergers. I also run the lapua brass. Both for the quality and the headstamp. Absolutely love the round, the dtech, and the ridiculous accuracy! Chris

Back