Looking to get a .204 Ruger...any recommendations on a rifle?

CZ is pretty nice, especially with the set trigger. Take a look at the Savage Predator 10 as well. The Ruger is very accurate but weighs a ton. If you can find a Tikka .204, and you want a light rifle, that is also an option.

I had the Remington Predator 7 in .204 and it would not group 40 grn bullets on a paper plate. From that experience, I will not buy a Remington.

Originally Posted By: 35WDI had the Remington Predator 7 in .204 and it would not group 40 grn bullets on a paper plate. From that experience, I will not buy a Remington.

although my remington in 204 didn't like the 40g v-maxes i was smart enough to try the 32's.
it will shoot 3/4moa and less with factory ammo. not all guns like just one bullet weight or bullet style. sometimes they can be finicky. but you must be willing to try different avenues. shooting and reloading would be pretty boring if you bought a rifle that shot everything perfect without trying different combinations.

J&G Sales has the CZ American in 204 on sale right now for 499.00.
Adjust the trigger to your liking, clean the barrel real good, slap on a scope in the supplied rings and go hunting is what I'd do if I was in the market for a 204.

FWIW,,,, most factory 12 twist barrels (which both Remmy and CZ are) won't stabilize the 40's. Especially the longer V-Max.
39gr Sierra BK is what ya want anyways, and most guns will stabilize em.
For saving fur, allot of guys like the 35gr Berger, but I've only owned one 204 for a short time so I won't testify to that.

Luck

Oops,,, forgot the link.
http://www.jgsales.com/-p-6441.html

Last edited:
My Remington shoots the 40grain Berger bullets into the same holes! It's a keeper.

grin.gif

I've had both the Savage 116 Weather Warrior (super accurate) and the CZ 527 Varmint (accurate with a little tuning)...Downside to the Savage was the composite stock, but it can be stiffened with a little work...but it would shoot bug holes out of the box...

Savage Predator Hunter or the CZ Varmint would be my choice. In fact I bought the Savage and am very pleased with it. I am confident I would be just as satisfied with the CZ.

I bought the remington sps varmint in 204. Its long and heavy but brother its a shooter.I heard bad reviews on the plastic stock but I am quite happy with it.

Last edited:
If you can find one, I'd take a look at the Browning A-bolt II varmint stalker. It has a semi bull barrel, which makes it a little heavy, but mine shoots great with 32gr factory hornady rounds, and only slightly less great with the 40 gr hornadys. Adjustable trigger, palm swell and factory bedded recoil lug are standard. I love mine.

I have a Savage model 12 with the heavy barrel cut down to 22" and it cuts holes with the 32 vmax's and darn close with the 40's. Gonna load some Bergers in 35 and 40 tonight as well.

Had a tc venture that shot well but man it was a POS! Both the first one I bought and the replacement they sent me.

Just came in from shooting today. I took my Savage 12 in a 204 didnt know that a factory gun would shoot that good. I loaded some 35g Bergers and they are in the 5s .

Ok I know that this statement is useless without photos and I guess you can believe it or not, but I have a $300 savage model 11 in .204 ruger with accu trigger, I put it in a hoge pillar bedded stock and it will shoot sub 1" at 200 yards with a crappy rest and me shooting witch isnt very good. So I would go with savage!

My list would be just 3 . Ruger . They have several models in 204 .
The CZ would be 2nd . But thats just me .
And the Savage . As long as its center feed .

I doubt the 204 in a model 700 would feed any better than my last m 700 in 223 . Too much money for not enough gun .

Looks like there are "pro's" to all of them. As stated, the Ruger Target is heavy, but its accuracy is top notch for a factory gn.

Thanks for the help. Am kinda leaning towards going with the CZ-that being said...if I go with the 527 American with wood stock...will a 1:12 twist stabilize a 40 grain VMAX bullet or will I need to upgrade to the varmint version. I am trying to stay light which is the reason for my wanting to try a .204 ruger. I dont see myself needing anything heavier than a .40 grain bullet as most of my shots are 300 yards or less, mostly less than 200 yards.

What's that I see? No one mentioned HOWA??

You can get a HOWA Varminter from CDNN for under $400 and will shoot every bit as good, if not better, than the Savage, CZ, Remington, etc.

And yes, I own and shoot all of these above. (Wanted to state before the detractors started...)

Quote:will a 1:12 twist stabilize a 40 grain VMAX bullet or will I need to upgrade to the varmint version...I think that you will find that .204 barrels, regardless of factory make, can be iffy about the 40gr V-Max...I have the CZ Varmint and while it shoots really well with the 39gr Sierra Blitz Kings, it's a so-so proposition with the V-Max...At least I haven't found the right combination for it...

I have a custom barreled .204 AR with a custom cut chamber in 1/12 twist and it shoots them okay...

Back