Tracking equipment

patrick

I would be interested in knowing what other houndsmen use for tracking equipment. There is a lot of new stuff advertised and I have only had limited experience with a few of the brands.
I have a Merlin 10 from Johnson Telemetry that I bought used probably 12 years ago and it is still working. I know it is not the best, but it still works good enough. I have ideas of replacing it but so far haven’t bit the bullet. Plus I don’t know what I would get as a replacement.
Around here the Wildlife Material 2000 is considered by most to be the Cadillac of receivers. I haven’t used one enough to have an opinion.
All but one of my collars are 16000 hour Johnson units. They have been good collars. Only trouble is getting them to turn off sometimes. I have cracked the cases on several of them though, must be rocks.
I have one Wildlife Materials collar with changeable lithium batteries. It has better range than the Johnsons, but the batteries are expensive and a pain. It has operated flawlessly though (did have to replace the antenna).
So what do you guys have and what would you buy now if you had to replace your receiver and collars?

I've used most of the systems out there. I bear hunt alot with guys from Virginia, Tenn North Carolina and Wisconsin.

Nothing wrong with Johnsons collars--I buy mine from there or Kliens in Wisc. I really don't like collars with replaceable or rechargeable batteries.

You really need to pull those magnets out frequently and turn those collars on and off in order to prevent them from sticking. They seem to stick on more than stick off but I have had them do both. Had to fix one by passing are really strong magnet over it to get it to turn on.

As far as recievers go Wildlife Materials really does set the standard. The only difference between the 1000 and the 2000 is the number of frequencies it will read. I like the Quick Track 5000 in that it will read all the frequencies. I have a FLS 1000 and it works but would prefer the Wildlife.
Magnum had some good ideas, i.e. the ability to scan programable frequencies but they can't seem to deliver. had lots of trouble with that outfit.

If I had to get another system it would be the Quick Track with Klien's collars. Forget the treeing switches. Just my 2 cents worth.
Karl

Hi Patrick I Have Two Telemetry Boxs One Is
A Johnson Rb Box And Johnson Callors And I
Have A Wildlife Box And Johnson Callors I Like Both And I Think Johnson Has The Best
Callors From What I Have Seen And Used. Good
Luck Hunting.

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds.

Hi Patrick I Would Like To Sell My Johnson
RB 10 Channal Box And Four Callors Anntana.
For $500.00 Firm. It Work Great I Just Never
Use IT Any More.

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds.

Hi NiteFright Its A 10 Mile Range Flat Open
Country But In NH Im Lucky To Get Two Miles
IN The Mts. I Hunt In Step Mt Country.

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds.

Hi Nitefright Do You Have Hounds And You Do
What Do you Hunt With them. I Have Four
Coyote Hounds Croghan Breed Walkers Hounds.

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds

Hey there Steve,

Right now I'm only running 1 Treeing Walker hound. He's just on bobcat.
Been runnin him w/o tracking collar, handles great, but need a collar for him.
Was supposed to run coyotes w/ a guy I met, he's got runnin' walkers I think. Conditions were no good for the 5 hr drive, oh well maybe next year.
That collar sound like it might work for me.
NiteFright

Hi Nitefright Who Was The Guy That You Where
Going Coyote Hunting With I Now Some Coyote
Hunters In NY. Good Luck Hunting.

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds.

Steve I can't remeber his last name but his first name was Clarence and is up by Watertown. If you want his number I can look it up he s a nice older gent.

NiteFright

[This message has been edited by NiteFright (edited 03-25-2002).]

steve,
My understanding is that the RB is the same as my Merlin only in a different shaped package.

Has anyone used that new unit that has the wings that fold out on each end of it? I don't recall the name but they advertise in full cry all the time. It is about 2 inches square by 10 inches long and the antenna folds next to the unit, and it is green. I have seen one guy use one and he claims they don't have the ability to fine tune the direction as with using a yagi antenna and typical box. But I have talked with others that say he just doesn't know how to work it. If he would only loan it to me for the winter I wouldn't be asking this question.
If it works as good as the traditional reciever/yagi combo, it would appear to be the best thing out there just based on portability.
Patrick

Wicks outdoor works sells a fold-up antenna that is a lot easier to carry in the bush than a Yagi and it really works well, it comes with a BNC connector so it will fit most recievers.

Hi Patrick They Might Be The Same Box They Both
Come From Johnson's Telemetry. How Do You Like
Johnson's Collars I Think They Are As Good As
Any Of The Others. I Have The D Collars 16,000hr.
For My Hounds. What Do You Use And Like For Collars. Good Luck Hunting.

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back