How About a .243 with an 18" or 20" Barrel?

I was thinking about getting either a .243 or .243 WSSM with an 18" or 20" barrel. I figure this would be a handy size and would cut down on weight and make it a nice handling gun.

Do you think an 18" barrel would be too short? I think 20" is about the longest I would like to go.

Originally Posted By: jasonprox700I was thinking about getting either a .243 or .243 WSSM with an 18" or 20" barrel. I figure this would be a handy size and would cut down on weight and make it a nice handling gun.

Do you think an 18" barrel would be too short? I think 20" is about the longest I would like to go.

done it twice:
spring2011031.jpg

006-2.jpg

using 75 grain vmax and R15 I killed some critters with it. Using 105 amax's and R17 you can get 2900fps.

it was really handy.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyAR?

Yes. I have a couple 16" carbines and I really like how they handle. I have a hankering for a .243 WSSM, but I don't really want anything much over 18". I don't plan on trying to take any deer at a mile, so I don't really see the need for the extra velocity a 24" or 26" barrel has to offer, plus the added weight and length.

my savage has a sporter adams and bennett that I cut to 19" and re-crowned.... shoots 3/8 groups(3 shot) @ 100yd..thats hand loads....
But as these guys say... " minute of coyote is good enuff"

I doesn't seem that the wssm cartridges are optimized with an 18" barrel in terms of velocity, amount of powder burned, muzzle blast, etc. I also think the wssm's would carry a cost premium for what you're going to get out of it in a short barrel. What have you others experienced, particularly in regards to muzzle blast? Of course there are pros and cons to everything. If you value the pros and the cons don't bother you I guess you'll be happy with the results. Try it and report back.

I use a Rem Mohawk 600 in 6mm,very similar to a 243
It has an 18 1/2" barrel and is a great little calling gun.
It's plenty accurate,MOA or better,mostly better.
GJ
moto_0128.jpg

Originally Posted By: vahunterI have a 18" shilen 6x45 barrel on my savage. Love the way it handles.

If you want a short bbl 6mm, I would fore-go the wssm. A 6x45 would suit better with a short bbl AR.

Back