Decoy Dogs and Denning Dogs

Neffquail

I as well as others would like info on Decoy and Denning Dogs. What are the best breeds of dogs for this type of hunting? Training? How do they do their Job? Are there risks for the dogs? Maybe some good stories from some who use these methods to hunt Coyotes. I know one person who uses a Decoy Dog and swears by it he is also a Govt. trapper. He states that he uses it in conjunction with his calling, and gets excellent results.

------------------
It`s not the size of the weapon, it`s the force of attack!

David Neff

[This message has been edited by Neffquail (edited 03-15-2002).]

This farmer's dog wouldn't leave me alone once out hunting. Every time I called he came over licking my face and checking out what I was doing. When a coyote came but got hung up at about 400 yards away, he just sat staring at the dog. When the dog dropped to his back and started rolling around frolicking in the mud, the yote took off like a bat out of you know where.

I think you guys are just trying to fool everyone about the dog decoys. Its like one great big conspirical (I know its not a word, just go with me here)joke. I think hunting with a dog for a decoy is like hunting coyotes from a step ladder!?!?!?! YEAH RIGHT!

HEY, HEY, HEY Locoweed - There are ups and downs to every kind of hunting, using a stepladder is deffinately a STEP-UP.

Michael

------------------
Hunt from above and look down on the rest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I been thinking about getting one of those Border Collie Sheep dogs and one of those monkeys that ride them sheep dogs and train me a duo. Teach the monkey how to shoot a colt 45 and presto callem in a little ways then sic my hunting monkey on them riding that dog. Sounds cool huh!! Just joking fellas HeHe!!!

------------------

David Neff

[This message has been edited by Neffquail (edited 03-15-2002).]

David, funny you should mention the Border Collie/ monkey combo. That's Tom Lucia's little act. His son is a friend of mine who used to train such acts. He's good with the animals. He's a promoter on the PBR tour now.
That was one nasty monkey! He'd throw some nasty stuff at ya' if you weren't watching. I wanted to spank him every time I went over there. No, not just a figger' of speech, either. Sickos, I know what you were thinking!
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by songdogger (edited 03-15-2002).]

Songdogger, I know Tom thru Quail Dobbs who lives here in Coahoma.

------------------

David Neff

Neffquail,

You didn't get much for serious repsonses, did you? HA HA. You asked a ton of questions there. I think a small book about fifty pages long should just about answer your questions.

But, I'm glad you threw that in there about risks for the dogs. Especially the way I use them.

I use a dog as a decoy and it works great! I know there are stories of decoy dog running off the coyotes and I've seen it happen myself. But, I've got a dog that has never, ever run off or spooked a coyote. I hunt with long haired wiener dogs. No kidding. I take one out with me on stand when I'm calling the wide opens in North Dakota and he just be-bops around out in front of me as I call. Let me tell you, when those coyotes come in and see him, they think lunch is served. I've NEVER had one shy away from him! For the most part, I don't think they know it's a dog. They see something small and come running. It's a hoot.

But, there are a ton of safety concerns too. Using a dog that is small enough to become lunch means setting up some rules for yourself and following them. More on that later on.

Get your self a wiener dog.

HA HA

Randy

Thanks Randy, and Welcome to the wonderful world of moderating.

The fella I know that utilizes the Decoy form uses a Lousiana Curr, he sets up sends this dog out in a very large circle pattern, and when the dog is a good ways out he starts calling and when coyotes start responding and see the dog they start chasing him and the dog leads them back to the hunter, he then shoots however many he can and if some run off well he sends his dog out again and does the same thing and the dog brings them back again and again till they are all dead or get smart enough to quit coming. To date has lost 3 dogs to the coyotes.

------------------

David Neff

Neff
I don't like my dogs to chase coyotes. I would rather have them just be seen, weather it sitting or just dinking around, (digging, rolling in a cow pie, running like there tails on fire)
I start my dogs by having them sit beside me, I don't care if the dog stands up when it sees something. A coyote thats coming in will usually see the dog and come in to about 100-150 yards and start circling, Bang! After I've been calling about 10 min I let the dog go out and do his thing.
Once the dog starts to learn about calling they will sometimes break and start chasing what ever they see. I take a 10 or 12 ft peice of rope with a BIG trap drag on it and put it around the dogs neck (or collar) When the dog breaks he'll run out 20 or 30 yards and get hung up. Thats generally enough to keep the coyote coming or circling.
After I shoot one I'll send the dog out. If the dog will drag and shake a coyote, great! It's like a magnet to any other coyotes around. I had a German Wirehair Pointer that would retrieve coyotes and that worked real good too. The little lab I have now likes to "hump" the coyotes LOL, but it will really bring in any other coyotes.

Randy talked about the dangers so I won't get into that.

------------------
for every law thats passed a little freedom dies

Jimmy Brooks from Menard TX has Blue Lacy pups for sale once in a while.
If you have ever seen Slim Pedersen's calling video the decoy dog in that video is a Blue Lacy.

Another little trick I like to train my dogs to do is bark on command. You know how a coyote will sometimes howl at you or hang up at 500 or 600 yards when you calling. I will tell my dogs to bark and sometimes that will bring them on in.

------------------
for every law thats passed a little freedom dies

I have never ran dogs specifically for coyotes but a few of my dad's hog dogs will get on a coyote while hog hunting. He mainly uses curs and heelers. The red heeler that rides with him in the back of the truck and on the four-wheeler, checking cows will bail off on a coyote. The dogs don't usually kill the coyote, they'll just keep knocking it down while it's trying to run till it turns and bays, then someone will shoot the coyote.

I did have a Walker pup I took oout with me a few times last year as a decoy dog. He worked real well when he was a pup and coyotes would come right in for the easy meal. But it turns out the older he got the dumber he got and he never made a good coyote dog. I gave him to a friend of mine that coon hunts and he works fine. I think walkers are more of a pack type dog and don't hunt well on their own.

I also had a big red bone male someone gave me for a couple of days this winter. The dog would take off like he was on a trail and circle back to the truck and be waiting there for you. He did this several times and was promptly given back.

So all in all, my coyote dogs have all been failures but I'm sure I'll find a good one sooner or later.

Later,
Justin

------------------
My pics
My web page

I am going to move this topic to the Houndsman Forum.

------------------

David Neff

Back