I want a tack driving AR15 or AR10

zlaj3737

I am wanting the most accurate and longest range round made I have looked at many but have not shot many of them I have a great shooting .223 so I was thinking about going with something bigger for longer distances!

You can use WSSM short magnums. If I were you I would get a 6.5-.243WSSM with a 26" 1-8" barrel. In an AR-15 platform.

Just neck up the .243WSSM to .264 and you got it. More barrel is better, I would say at least 26" if you can go 28" even better.

If you go with the AR10 you can get things like 260Rem or 7mm-08. I like the 6.5mm just for a little more velocity. .243 have a little more velocity but then you lose bullet BC and weight for a little punch at long range.

I like the 6.5s I think they are best case scenerio for long range AR platforms.

Is the bmg 50cal auto that the snipers use considered a very large AR LOL

My 6.5 grendel is so much fun to shoot I don't think I would trade it for an ar-10 and its good to 1000yards just my 2cents

If your willing to wait a little while I would PM Scott about a 6.5. I have one from him a its a TACH DRIVER. I had it and the PM eggshoot and a bunch of members got to shoot it and loved it. You can get factory ammo for it but you can really dial it in if you reload. If you have a AR15 lower youll be good to go, if not have Scott build you the Complete AR.

Not trying to stir the pot, but a 6.5-243 WSSM is going to have close to 500fps more velocity with the 140gr bullets. If set up just right the 130grn Berger VLDs would sing like an angel past 1000 yards easy.

The 6.5..whatever is hard to beat. BUT there is a reason that our military still shoots .308's and everything has already been done for you as far as a ballistics charts. You can really find more info than you want.

how far are you wanting to shoot?

do you reload?

in the end it will be personal preference. there are a lot of calibers that will work. i saw a video of a guy shooting a 300 SAUM to 1k. but that round doesn't really appeal to me. i'm going to have a plain .243 built. it will reach out there and will have very little recoil. i like the idea of low recoil not just for myself but it lets kids and ladies shoot without developing a flinch.

and i've got over 1k .243 brass.

Here is some pictures of my 260 rem. This is a dpms with a 20" barrel. The trigger sucks. I haven't started loading for it yet. I am planning on using 123 amax and some 140 gr. projectiles for now. I want to try using some h4350, varget. I only shot 10 rounds through it so far, but just getting started. I thought I'd share.

004-4.jpg

005-1.jpg

Sweet!
I am also looking far a larger cal. for deer.
I love the 7mm-08 and the 260 but do not like the fact that I have to move to an AR-10. I like a light, easy to carry rifle.
Many like the 6.8 but I am just not impressed with the ballistics.

Yup I would go 6.5 in any AR.

I wonder how it would work to have the 6.5WSSM in an AR10. That way you could seat the longer high BC bullets farther out?

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerYup I would go 6.5 in any AR.

I wonder how it would work to have the 6.5WSSM in an AR10. That way you could seat the longer high BC bullets farther out?

I think the main problem with that idea would be finding bolts, to accomodate the larger diameter casing. Other than that it would be ideal. With the additional room in the magazine to seat the bullets the powder capacity would increase. I think it would be ideal, but the next best thing is to stay with standard type centerfire cartridges.

260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmore, 7mm 08 or 308, each will go out to 1000 yds. + Figure out how far you want to shoot, then check out ballistic charts for velocity at that range for the bullet you expect to shoot, if its still supersonic at that distance, you will be fine.

Back