Fox den or a coyote den???

2zwudz

Is it possible to tell the difference between a fox den and a coyote den. I found a den or a burough and I dont know what is using it. I put a trail camera near it so hopefully it will tell me but I wont be back to the location for a week. If someone could help explain the difference before I go back to the location that would be great.
Thanks
Mark

Most often yes a person can tell the difference. However, There can be anomalys of either canine den hole. Most canine entrance holes are oval in shape. ie; taller than they are wide.

Red Fox den entrance holes tend to be 8-9"W x10-11" high/tall.

Coyote add another 2" or so on width & add another 2-4" in height. From the demensions of a Red Fox entrance hole.

Below is a Red Fox den entrance hole in the Winter. They used this OLD den site only during harsh weather. Otherwise they slept else where.

8ce5e5a3.jpg

Abandoned Red den entrance hole. Hole was roughly 8"+ wide x 10"+ tall.

3e0e6460.jpg

Coyote den site. Coon & domestic cat remains laying near the exit hole. I guess I have something in common with the coyotes. Neither of us like cats.
266359c9.jpg

At one time this hole must've been the entrance. Typically an entrance hole will be larger than the exits. This hole was quite large. But this coyote started useing one of the exits mainly.
3c878924.jpg

Entrance/exit hole. Note this is not the typical shape. As this hole is more wide than tall. I suspect a tree root is the cause for this dig shape.
d0fa1321.jpg

I've also seen a coyote entrance hole under a machine shed on an abandoned farmsted. That entrance hole was semi-lunar shaped. Or shaped like a eating bowl.

Last edited:

"You might be able to tell by track size."
------------------------------------------
Red fox and coyotes have paws that are about same size. Distance between foot prints would be shorter for fox, of course you need to find a spot where the critter walked for several yards in a straight line.

Originally Posted By: bigoledodgestick your nose down there and see if you smell that old wet stanky coyote smell coming out of it

Knowing my luck its probably a Badger hole with a pissed Badger in it. Im going to put a camera near it.
Mark

":Red fox and coyotes have paws that are about same size."
Rich, I am not sure agree with that. Up here coyote tracks are quite a bit larger. I agree with Bernie, but it all depends on region. Gaits, like you have stated, are a good indication.

lol. i just found a den this weekend and it stunk like [beeep] end of a coyote. lol. got right down on it with my xdm. it was deep. didnt have any puppy treats to put in my hand and stick in there [beeep]. lol. but am going to put cam on it just to figure when they are using it

Yeah, Rich,
I'm very surprised you made that statement, an old coyote hunter like you. Coyote paws are a lot bigger that a red fox.
Unless you have some real big Red Foxes where you are.....OR some very tiny coyotes...ha ha
tt2.gif

I think Rich was speaking in general terms.

Adult Red tracks I've seen are right at 2" give or take a smidge. Coyote track size can vary more. But most will be around 2.5"-2.75" long

I found one today that was a tad over 3" long.

Red Fox prints
f96b2966.jpg

27968520.jpg

Coyote print
33e91689.jpg

Last edited:
Just smell it. Both coyotes and fox have an odor, but it should be pretty easy to tell the difference. Fox have a pretty unique smell.

Back