Trigger Pull Weight

Kansas220Swift

I wanted to know what pull weight people go with as I am going to change the trigger on my Remington 700 VS II 220 swift and buy a Timney 510...

any help on what pounds you would set it at would help.

I just put a 510 on my r700 and I have it set around 1.5 pounds. It feels a little light for hunting purposes, but I'd figure most would have it set around 2-2.5. That should be plenty for hunting, but in my case I wanted a lighter pull weight on this particular rifle. Just my $.02..

All depends on what you like. I like a hair trigger but that's obviously more dangerous. My Remington 700 is an old one (1977) and it has a factory trigger that is every bit as good as a Timney today. But the newer Rem trigger won't go as light safely.

I have a CZ527 and the set trigger is @ just under 1.5lbs and the regular trigger is at 3. I love just having to brush the trigger when the scope is on and bang!

Most of my Remingtons are set about three pounds, I have several CZ 527s and they are set at three pounds un-set and twelve ounces set. Set them where they feel right to you.Edit to add; you really need a trigger scale before you mess with a trigger.

Last edited:
I have used very light triggers for years (1-1.5 lbs.). This winter I went through my hunting rifles and set them all up at two pounds. It's nice to know I can slam the bolt around and get a little excited during the heat of the moment...

Just depends on if you get target anxiety? I sometimes have a problem with it so I like a trigger around 1.5 lbs. I shoot a lot of steel, but there's something about calling coyotes that gets me worked up! I'm a lot better than I used to be but sometimes I'll get a little anxious.

If I had to bet most would tell you 2 to 2.5lbs. I like mine around 2.5. There is a prolifically different feeling of a 2.5 lb trigger pull than a 4lb trigger. I like the snap of the 2.5 range.

Most of you know this, I'm sure, but in the interests of making sure everyone has the whole picture it's CRITICAL to test your trigger setting after adjustment to make sure that there is the proper margin of safety.

I get very nervous when I set triggers at 1.5 pounds and below because in my experience a substantial number of guns will NOT hold trigger settings this low and they are prone to accidental firing if dropped or even bumped. Obviously, this depends on the trigger design and the condition, so you can't make generalizations.

Bottom line is that everyone who's doing their own trigger adjustments MUST know how to test the trigger after adjustment to verify that it can hold its set should the rifle be bumped or dropped. I'm not going to name names and get into an arguement about Brand X or Brand Y, but from what I've heard, some manufacturers have made triggers that have a very, very fine margin for error such that at 1.5 pounds the trigger will hold, but at 1.45 pounds the trigger will release under even a slight bump to the stock. NOT GOOD.

Be safe out there.

Grouse

Very good point grouse, I still test mine with snap caps before I will even go into the field...

For what its worth if you dont want to mess with adjusting the 510 yourself, I ordered it from the timney website and they adjusted it for me down to #1.5. They will do it anywhere in the #1.5-4 range on that trigger when you buy from them...

same here all my predator and deer rigs are set to 1.5 to 2lbs and most triggers are timneys. My 338RUM trigger is set to 3.5lbs. HAPPY HUNTING

Originally Posted By: JhedgesI just put a 510 on my r700 and I have it set around 1.5 pounds. It feels a little light for hunting purposes, but I'd figure most would have it set around 2-2.5. That should be plenty for hunting, but in my case I wanted a lighter pull weight on this particular rifle. Just my $.02..

+1

With quality triggers, I normally have my deer rifles in the 3 lb range, warm weather varmint rifles 2-2.5, and I've target rifles as light as they'll safely go. I had a 40X with a 2 oz trigger.

Originally Posted By: JTB....... I had a 40X with a 2 oz trigger.

it sounds like if you breathe wrong that trigger would go off!!
tt2.gif

I had an old gunsmith take the trigger on 4 of my 700's down to 2.5#'s a few years back. I like that they all break the same, works for me.

Back