Best upper for 1,000 yard shot in the AR-15 platform?

I'm hoping my WOA will push the 75 g. Vmax @ 3100 fps...

I wouldn't shoot an animal at 1k with a Grendel, but I'm pretty sure Scott got hits on 16"x16" steal at 1135 yards with his Grendel on his first time out with it in a Oklahoma. It accurate enough and has enough power to get there if you can dope the wind...

I would chose a 308 in an AR-10 platform for the 1000 yard shots. I just think it is a strech at 1000 yards for a 223. I have a nephew who is a current SWAT sniper, and former Marine sniper who I have seen shoot at 1200 yards with a Rem 700 308 bolt, and that is a long freaken shot to me. I like it when he goes deer hunting with us.
smile.gif

Sabre Defense 24" 1/8 use a 75 gr and zero at 100. add 27 MOA elevation now your good at 785 yrds. It will go a grand just use the right ammo

Originally Posted By: RiflemannI would chose a 308 in an AR-10 platform for the 1000 yard shots. I just think it is a strech at 1000 yards for a 223. I have a nephew who is a current SWAT sniper, and former Marine sniper who I have seen shoot at 1200 yards with a Rem 700 308 bolt, and that is a long freaken shot to me. I like it when he goes deer hunting with us.
smile.gif

If he was going with the AR10 it would be wiser to go with the 6.5 CM or .260 heck the .243 would even be better then the. 308!

I still say stick to the .223 cheaper to shoot and you will come out a better shooter in the end.

DTech in 243WSSM. Maybe even Mike's new 6DTI.

Like it was mentioned, get the Oly lower so you can load the longer bullets in the new, longer magazine, and also be able to get enough powder behind them without using compressed loads.

I have a 6.5 Grendel, and while it will do it, it's not my first choice. It's going too slow out past 600 and so it is exposed to the wind too long. At least that's the reason I miss more than I hit out at the 600+ mark. My wife killed her antelope with it last year at 467 with a 123gr. AMax and it did the job well, but I think that's about the limit for an animal in my opinion. The bullet did perform well, and it exited the other side.

I'm really liking my DTech in 25WSSM right now.

.223 Remington has pretty good ballistics at 1000 yards. Just shoot on calm days and use wind flags. Of course I like 22lr at 100 yards too.

I will tell you this much. The Army Marksmanship team will shoot the M16 5.56 (223) out to 800 meters with iron sights. So im sure there are AR platforms that can shoot 1000 yrds. Plus if you have a scope? The thing is you have to be able to shoot. Dont ask me how they do it. The Marine core zero there weapons for 600 meters. which is actually a lil over 600 yrds and they also do this with iron sights. People have little faith in the oh 5.56. So if you go with a bigger round I dont see what the proplem is. The 6.5 Grendal should do it with no problem. Your not going to get a 1000 yrd shot out of a 5.56 but an 800 yrd shot is pretty danm good. Like I said you have to be a danm good shot because most the time the rifle is going to be able to do more than you can

A round from a 223 will make it these distances, but with no authority. It will be at the mercy of the wind.

My 260AI is easyier to shoot at 1000 than my 223 is at 500.

Did I forget to mention at 600 yrds you have to be very accurate when using iron sights. Every Marine shoots this all the time. Its part of their qualification. I have seen first hand what the 5.56 (223) can do in the military. So I know it can do it in the civilian world. The wind is no different military or civilian

Our Fclass 10 rings are 6 inches at 600 yards x ring is 3 inches. Much smaller than human silloute targets.

If someone is great a 223 would be functional at 600+ yards. But If you plan on hunting something like coyotes or shooting milk jugs a 223 is not going to be on top of the list of guns to grab.

We need to think about humain and responsable kills here too. I give the Marines all the credit in the world but the same guys qualifying at 600 yards are going to have a terribly hard time hitting a coyote in the vitals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KiloxjSabre Defense 24" 1/8 use a 75 gr and zero at 100. add 27 MOA elevation now your good at 785 yrds. It will go a grand just use the right ammo

I will take your advise as soon as I get my hands on it! I will be 600 and under most of the time.

Back