CALLING BLACK BEAR AND WOLVES, IN ONTARIO

AARON1064

HELLO I AM A NEW MEMBER, I AM BOOKED FOR A FALL 2002 BEAR HUNT IN ONTARIO. I HAVE BEEN UP THERE 5 TIMES AND HARVESTED 2 BEAR WITH MY BOW. THIS YEAR I WANT TO TRY CALLING FOR THE BEAR AND WOLVES. DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHAT CALL I SHOULD USE, MOUTH CALL OR MY CASETTE CALLER. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE HELPFULL. THANKS!!

CAPSLOCK.GIF

If you could just give that circled key a solid stroke for me? Thank ya
wink.gif

Is it a guided hunt? What kind of tapes do you have for your e-caller? what kind of mouth calls? For that kind of game I think a fawn bleat would work well...but more info would be useful
smile.gif

Welcome to the board.Where in Ontario are you hunting? I used to live there and hunted all over the province. Oh yeah I think you cap key is stuck.Redfrog

------------------
There's two kinds of coyotes... The quick and the dead!!

www.merlinadventures.com

Hello again, this is a semi-guided hunt and the guide told me that if I wanted to bring my E-caller and mouth calls to try them it was fine with him. All I have is cottontail in destress, gray fox pup, etc. I have verious mouth calls that sound like a rabbit in destress. I have been searching the internet and can only find short papagraphs in articles about calling bears and wolves. If any information can be givin on what calls to use either mouth or E-call and some instructions on use would be very helpful! I will have 2 active baits waiting for me but would most like to increase my chances on killing a wolf. I will be hunting in Ontario just east of Sudberry at Lake Herridge Lodge.Thanks again in advance.

P.S. Sorry about the caps!!!!

I drew an Oregon spring bear hunt where bait (including scents) are not allowed. I plan on using fawn bleats or elk calf calls on the hunt. A fawn bleat or a doe bawl may be your best bet. I have been practicing with my Primos regulator 10 but keeping it going for an hour or more could be a real task. I have been getting some good vocalization from Circe jackrabbit distress call by a low pressure sustained airflow for 1.5 to 2 seconds. It sounds like a fawn in a lot of pain. I hope this helps

------------------

I have hunted the area east of Sudbury for moose and black bears. I also did a lot of fishing there. The black bears were always a nuisance. We hunted using spot and stalk, and always had good success. I didn't try calling, but I believe it would be worth a try. You might want to check out the regs on lynx as well as there are some in the area. Lots of snowshoe hare, so the rabbit distress should work.FWIW Redfog

------------------
There's two kinds of coyotes... The quick and the dead!!

www.merlinadventures.com

Make your stands at least half an hour in length,keep the volume loud and constant. I've had good luck with deer in distress sounds,fawn bawls and bear cub distress.

------------------
Timberking

[This message has been edited by timberking (edited 03-12-2002).]

[This message has been edited by timberking (edited 03-12-2002).]

Timber King: Could you define what you mean by constant? Some people may consider 20 or 30 seconds of calling every 3 minutes for an hour straight as constant. How long of breaks do you take between calling segments?

------------------

Pomoxis,
I use e-callers for calling bear and i let the machine run continuisly from the time i start a stand and until i get up to leave. I make all of my stands at least a 1/2 hour in lenghth even a hour if i'm near fresh bear sighn. When calling bears as soon as the sound stops they stop so keep it going. Yea i know kinda hard with a mouth call hey
smile.gif
also like i said keep the volume loud,i have never had a bear shy away from volume even when they were right in front of the speaker,although lately i have been toneing down the volume when i see or hear a bear comeing in.

I'm going to attempt to post a pic of a called bear i hope it works
smile.gif

33070142ktzxRL_th.jpg

Well thats too big
mad.gif
can someone tell me the proper size for average screen veiwing? Also the pics work if you hit the red x and pick show picture but how come they don't just appear??

------------------
Timberking

I noticed that in the photograph you are using a fawn decoy. Do you have a motor or other mechanized device to add motion to the decoy?

I was thinking about using one of those devices that you insert into a turkey decoy to add a little motion to the set up. My spring bear hunt opens on April 15 and runs to May 31. So it is time to buy some new toys.

No it's just a wind operated feather flex decoy,a weasal ball would work fine though. I have thought about trying it myself. I also want to try the large bedded doe decoy made by feather flex i think it would be awesome for bears.

------------------
Timberking

Aaron, by all means take your calls along on the bear hunt. I've called black bears in Washingotn State, British Columbia and Saskatchewan, all with the same old Weems Wild Call. It has a jack rabbit voice in it that sounds an awful lot like a mule deer fawn, and will make a good fawn bleat if you quaver it. I usually set up in really thick timber, with grassy lanes or small meadows, but always so that I can see downwind, because the black bears tend to circle downwind when they get within 40 yards or so. One in really thick timber in Sask. circled downwind and then climbed about 8 feet up a tree to look over brush at me from 25 yards out.

I blow the call for 10-20 seconds every minute or so, tapering to at least once every three minutes, and for bear I'd stay 45 minutes. The same sound and sequence has been deadly on calling lynx also. I think most any prey sound will do for bears, and that your ambush set up is far more important than the precise sound you make.

Bears have arrived within five to 15 minutes usually, but sometimes longer. They seem to be fairly easy to call. Last spring in Sask. I only called at two stands on one afternoon, and called in three bears, one within 15 yards in underbrush so think I could only see part of him. One time a huge boar 1/4 mile away across a valley would turn his head to look at the call sound, but wouldn't leave his berry patch. So we stalked him. It is sometimes hard to evaluate size of called bears since they don't like to pose in the open and will use cover in their approach.

Back