Anyone Use Scents for Mountian Lions?

Donnel

I have just started hunting mountian lions in southwest Texas. I spotted one a few months ago and our local expert has reportedly seen 14 over the last 15 years on our lease. He even claims to have seen a black one. There are 4 areas over the 13,000 acres where these cats have been seen, so we think we know where to setup. Shooting lanes are very limited and we keep our rifles ready to shoot quickly, hunting on the same stand, facing opposite directions.

My partner and I are now dedicated to taking a lion and can talk of nothing else. We have heard that cougar in-heat urine works well as a lure.

Has anyone else heard of using this and if so, where can we get it?

We also plan to start using the Phantom Predator Call and bait with a freshly killed pig or javelina. Is the use of all of these at the same time a good idea?

We are also receiving a lot of flak from our fellow hunters. One said we have a better chance of winning the Muy Grande contest, that's one of the most famous big deer contests in south Texas. So we would get a lot of satisfaction with a success, in more ways than one.

Thanks. This board is absolutely the best that I have come across.

[This message has been edited by Donnel (edited 03-07-2002).]

Welcome to PM, Your in the right forum for some answers. As far as using attractant scents, I guess it couldnt hurt but it just doesnt seem to be as important to the cats. A good calling in the right area will produce your lion. I use a fawn decoy with a phantom E caller and it works great. You need to keep in mind that lions have a very large territory so a sighting or signs of a lion one day doesnt mean its still in the area the next. Go ahead and try that area but dont be discouraged if nothing shows. If you are hunting with a partner, instead of sitting back to back try spreading out to cover more area where you most expect a lion to appear. Alot of times the lion will fixate on the area of the caller and not notice you off in another area. As far as bait is concerned, I really couldnt tell you on that one, seems like alot of extra hassle, the areas you need to set up in are going to be pretty secluded because thats where lions live so you are going to want to travel light anyways. It all takes time and practise just keep at it youll learn and that makes it all worth the time youll invest knowing you out just out hunted one of the masters of hunting. Good luck.

------------------

Back