looking for new places

I have been predator calling for a few years and have killed coyote and bobcats and fox. I'm looking for places to go to get mountain lions that is not to harsh on a price for access to the land to do it on. Preferaby somewhere in New Mexico but would consider other states if anyone knows of some outfitters for this type of hunting please let me know!!

coyote_slayer2001

Sorry to not get back to you sooner. All I know is Utah. You have to put in for a tag a year in advance. I don't know what the nonresident fees are, but I do know guide service is about 500-1000 bucks depending on who you go with. This is a guaranteed hunt though.
They will tree a cougar and see if you are willing to take it.

Remember, this is a control hunt. We have a number of cougars we have to harvest every year to keep the kill ratio down.

Shooting a cougar out of a tree doesn't sound very sporting. Maybe better with a handgun or bow...I just know they have to be thinned out in some areas.

I'm going to put this into the lions and bears forum to help you out. There is also Randy Watson in the night forum.

Good luck, MP

------------------
olympic-flag1.gif

[This message has been edited by Mike Paul (edited 02-19-2002).]

Ive checked on a few places down around Marathon, both were $2k. And they put you on a waiting list, and when they find tracks they call up the next guy and he has to be there within 24 hrs or he is canceled and they call the next.

Most places operate this way. And $2k i about the going rate.

Thank you for your help guys this is probably the route I will have to take to get a chance at one of these cats. Believe it or not we have some here around central texas; in fact a deer hunters son killed one this year about 20 miles south of where I live I think it weighed about 125 lbs. but I not sure. It was kind of a freak deal because they are usually just passing through the area and don't stay in one spot too long. Thank you very much Mike Paul for getting some response to my post.

------------------
Don't miss!

Shooting a cougar out of a tree doesn’t sound very sporting??? The whole object is to put the cat in the tree in the first place. Only someone who has never followed a pack of hounds would make a statement like that!

If hunting with a pack doesn’t trip your trigger, contact Steve Craig who posts on this forum from time to time. He is a licensed guide in Arizona, and calls in a good number of cougars for his clients every year.

I agree shooting anything out of a tree doesn't sound very sporting. I was just about forced to go on my 1st lion hunt. (more like dupped into it) and let me tell you, I don't really care for dogs or horses, but lion or bear hunting IS PURE ADRENALIN!!! There is nothing like it. I could never go enough.

BlueDeacon,
What I meant to say was, "Shooting a cougar out of a tree doesn't sound very sporting to some other people."
You are right about the hounds and the chase, It is a big rush! Trying doing all that running with a viedo camera! MP

------------------
olympic-flag1.gif

Sorry Mike P but, To make a statement like that you obviously haven't followed a pack of hounds thru the mountains on a track. The challenge isn't in the shot. Its whether you can physically keep up and hopefully at some point get to see the lion in a tree. At times just finding a fresh track is a hunt in itself.

Mike don't get me wrong here, I think your a great guy and great moderator but a lot of people who have never hunted with hounds before are quick to say this and I really believe if they did some of this type of hunting they would change their minds.

------------------

Thanks for the info guys I really am proud to be a part of this great site. Mike I know what you meant by not being to sporting to shoot one out of a tree.You meant the shot itself is not that hard that is if he is treed good. These other guys are right too though there is nothing like tring to keep up with a hound or two. My uncle who is unable now used to run hounds for coon hunting I went a few times when I was pretty young; and these guys are right it is a real adventure and rush to hunt that way!

------------------
Don't miss!

Back