lions in the south

REBEL

Just a question for you western hunters, and I'm not trying to be crazy. My boss and friend who has hunted for most of his 55+ years told me this weekend of a lion he spotted on his farm recently. Not that it was suprising to see as this part of North Carolina bordering the Virginia line is fairly unpopulated and mt. lions are seen usually every hunting season. The difference this time was the lion was solid black. He saw the lion as did another person several months before and while he was a bit skeptical then he is not anymore. I just wonder if this is seen out west with any regularity? Black bears are not unusual anymore but any mt. lion sighting is exciting to all us here, and he said it was not a bear. He has killed bear before and said it was defintely a black mt. lion and nothing else. Just wondering what yall think and no we aint crazy and sippin white lightin' all the time, just askin the experts on mt lions. Thanks.

I beleive him. Mountain lions can be black, but they are called Panthers i beleive. Just another name. If its legal to shoot lions shoot him and mount him on your wall.

I am not from the south but I have have been noticing somewhat of a pattern on black cats.
Here in PA, we have the Allegheny forest. Several people I know claim to have seen a Large Black Cat up in there. Seperate people and diff times of the year. The PA game commission's Off statement is that there are no cougars, mt. lions or panthers in PA. I know of people that have seen them in 4 diff counties! But the ones in the All forest are always "black" in color. I would like to know more about the area in which your friend saw the lion. Thanks!

I've never seen or heard of anyone in the NW taking a black lion. See and hear about the normal colored ones especially during deer and elk hunting season before the end of the year.

------------------
Matt/Spinner

The wildlife commission in NC always states that there are no lions in NC. However there are always reports of them. Just recently a mt lion was spotted in the Goldsboro area of the state during deer season. The area where my boss saw this lion is right on th Va. border in the county I live in. There is a large lake, Kerr Lake, and several of these sightings have been by people living close to this area. Southern Va and northern NC are not very populated compared to other parts of the state so it reasons that lions could have a very small population. The land here is forested also but alot if the timber has been cut. A large part of the land surrounding the lake is govt. property and this has timber on it and can never be cut. The other top 3 predators are there so I'm sure a lion could survive and reproduce. There's plenty of deer to feed on.

REBEL,

OOOps, Actually I think it was a swimming pool shaped like a cowboy boot. Funny how I mix those two things up. Maybe you said the owner was from Texas or something. LOL

A fellow here in the pineywoods of La was on his deer stand this past season when two big black/dark cats walked out across the clear-cut. He decided to shoot both, and then took them in to be mounted. Even though rare and supposedly non-existant here, he was charged with two felony counts and is now serving time. I bet he is a beliver now. Ouch.

The population is also on the rise in Oklahoma.Have seen four or five in the past few years.We also saw a black one a few years back coming out of a large cedar swamp.The black ones are just a different color phase.The game wardens don't say their not here though but anytime someone spots a black bear around here they say it's just passing through from Arkansas,but I know better cause we have found several dens.I think they just tell people that so they wont go hunting them.

As far as I can tell, and I've checked it out, there has never been a documented case of a melanistic (Black) mountain lion. The only large black cats have been jaguars or in Africa leopards. I get reports of black panthers on an almost weekly basis but never any proof. If you can produce a picture or any other hard evidence of a black mountain lion (panther) I would sure be interested in seeing it. Here in Texas mountain lions are not protected, so when someone tells me they saw a black one I tell them that if they shoot it or at least get a picture they'll be famous.

I grew up in South Mississippi. I never saw one nor did I ever see and evidence. But all the locals said there were spottings of black ones all the time. They said it was a black panther but I was thinking that was a movement rather than a cat. Some people told of a loud screach in the middle of the nights. Hanging moss,full moons and blac water swamps who knows it may be true.

I have to agree with Yellowhammer. My readings tell me there has NEVER been a black mountain lion documented. That means NO pictures, NO body. EVER!

It's interesting though to hear all the people who say they've seen one. Are they crazy? Good drugs? Something mystical or mythical? Like Yellowhammer said, anyone who ever shoots one will likely be famous.

Interesting thread.

Randy

I agree with Yellowhammer.I hear this about black lions alot but never have seen one and I have seen alot of taxidermy.This does not mean I know a lot about lions but someone would have taken one by now.I did see a strange mount at one of the local taxidermists.A solid black
bobcatlooking,bobcat size cat only this one had a long tale.I ask him about it.He really did not ever give me a serious answer as to what it was.Maybe some one had messed arond with this as a joke?

I have Never seen a Mt lion alive, no zoo, no nothing.
Maybe some west fellas can help me with this question, when you see a Mt lion at night do they look black? Is there something with thier fur that reflexs light? Thanks!

There is a cat called a Jaguarundi (Felis yagouaroundi) that is native to south Texas that is somewhat larger than an domestic cat. It is black and has a long tail. It is considered endangered by the USFWS. I have seen one in a zoo, and I guess it is possible that someone could have gotten one mounted.

I have talked to a few of the oldtimer houndsmen from this area and they have never seen one. Seems that the only ones who claim to have seen them around here are people who probably wouldnt know a lion if they saw one, Regardless of the color. But who knows, Anything is possable.

------------------
HUNT AND BE HUNTED

Back