eating cougars

Winchester Jake

I`ve been cruising this forum for quite some time now and I haven`t seen any mention of whether or not mountain lion is good eating. I`m gonna try hunting lion this year for the first time and would like to be able to use more than just the pelt on these magnificent animals if practical

As long as you have a nice side of deep fried coyote lips, and maybe a nice helping of badger grease to wash it down. You gotta be kidding!

------------------
I'd rather be lucky than GOOD!

LOL....I'm speechless
eek.gif

I don't think anyone WJ would think of having a Cougar burger. Besides maybe the odd prehistoric Native American munching on a lion leg and maybe someone from Bedrock, I'm sure noone has tried battering one up in beer and tuna helper.

Give me a Tommy's Burger!....Quick!

Bob

Well, last season a friend of mine called in and killed a young 90 lb female. He called me on the phone and escitedly told me he was butchering it out, I replied you mean skinning it? He said "No, it's supposed to be quite a delicacy" I replied "ITS A CAT!" Fast forward two weeks later,
BD: Did you try that lion yet?
Friend: It wasn't that bad, we made a roast
BD: How was it?
Friend: I think I messed up the roast
BD: It sucked didn't it?
Friend: It wasn't that bad
BD:What did it taste like?
Friend: It wasn't that bad
BD: It sucked huh dude?
Friend: I'm gonna prepare it diffrent next time, you want some? I have a lot left.
BD: No thanks, it's a cat, what does it compare too in taste.
Friend: It's not that bad.
BD: Wanna go huntin tomorrow?
Friend: Sure, pick me up before daylight.
BD: Later.
You judge for yourself.

Wait just a minute here. When I lived in B.C. I knew a lot of cougar hunters. Most of them ate them. I went to fish and game club dinners[all game menus] for 30 years. I never saw one that didn't have cougar. I have had it roasted and smoked. Tasted fine to me. Redfrog

------------------
Don't eat the yellow snow.

A friend of mine shot a cougar several years ago when it was still legal to use hounds in Oregon. I was at his house one night at asked what was for dinner, and he repied Cat. I thought he was B.S.'n me but he wasn't. I tried some and to my surprise it was pretty good. It cooked up white, kind of like pork. I am trying to get one this winter and will definately sample it again if I am lucky enough to find one. I now it sounds odd, but try it, you may like it.

Nathan

I have never eaten cougar but a friend of mine told me he ate one he got and he claimed it wass one of the best tasting meats he ever ate, he said it was better than wild sheep. and that is good.

I have a friend who has a wild game potluck at his place usually every year. People bring all kinds of wild game dishes. You know what most men and women choose as their favorite dish. You guessed it lion.

Give it a try. I think you might be surprised. Just make sure to treat it like pork or bear meat and make sure it is cooked completely thru. You don't want to eat rare lion. Its the thought that scares most people from trying it. Don't fall into that category try it for yourself and decide.

------------------

For a look at the range of things available meat-wise that you won't find at your local supermarket take a look at the website www.exoticmeats.com

How about one of their sampler packs:

"Grand Reptile Feast
From the bayous of Louisiana to the forest of Malaysia,we have put together a collection of the most exotic of our exotic meats, the reptiles. Each with a unique flavor and texture, this assortment is just what it takes to make friends and influence people:
1lb. Frog Legs
1lb. Alligator Sirloin
1lb. Snapping Turtle
1.2lb. Snake Meat Fillet
1.2lb. Rattlesnake"

They also have kangaroo, possum, and a host of other interesting critters but I didn't see lion on the list. Might be a special order!

I guess I'd try most anything including lion if it prepared in some presentable way. No, wait...no snails, that ain't gonna happen!

Doug

Bob, what are you eating to make your vomit turn that color? Too much green pea soup or are you waiting until the meat goes bad first?
biggrin.gif

If I ever get a lion I am surely going to TRY, at the very least, the backstrap. It can't be any worse than bear, and Oregon bear is not bad at all. I am guessing though that cooler climate animals will taste better than southern state animals?

------------------
Matt/Spinner

My dad was a trapper. I, being the youngest of 5 (and a girl) "heped" with taking care of the pelts and the carcass'.
"Eat this", he said.
Here in Maine we call it muskrat.
Hence RAT.
(Yes, it was cooked)

LMAO...you guys kill me...really.

Now..I'm not saying that some of you gentleman who hunt these things regulary are a little whacked for diggin into a cat tasty treat, but I think I'll pass. I remember when I first started fishing the deep blue. My partners made it clear I was supposed to eat the still beating heart of the yellowtail/albacore/Blue Fin/Yellowfin that I managed to snag. Never got over that...I tossed one partner overboard after one such incident
wink.gif

Anyway, have it it gentleman!!LOL

Welcome TLI! A rat eating woman...ohh Encore?..just kidding, Encore got over that Clampett thing years ago.
biggrin.gif
Welcome to PM TLI, you'll have fun here!

Bob

Back