Cougar Question.

Cast-N-Blast

We have quite a few Lions out here. I always come across their track or scat. Maybe a fresh kill every once in awhile.I can read 'em pretty good. But I do have a question about something that is going on right now.
There has been a lion in this one area I have been hunting in for the last couple of weeks. I have picked up its track several times. A couple days ago I was back in an area I had been in the day before. There was no sign then. The next day was entirely different. I could make out at least 3 different lion tracks even though they were all about the same size.They were NOT travelling together. In another area 1/2 mile away was the same thing a couple different animals and another Lion with much bigger paws. They were NOT travelling together either. I looked for a kill,blood, signs of mateing, but have not been able to figure this one out. I do not believe that this is mother and offspring(they don't follow). The last week I have found more Lion tracks than I do in a year.Got any ideas?

It sounds like you have a female with some almost fully grown young that are moving through the area. I know you say they weren't traveling together but they most likely are. Even though the tracks might appear as if they are all separate and individual animals. The tracks you found a half mile away are probably the same lions. It could have been a male looking for a receptive female also. I have seen this before where a female with almost full grown young travels through an area it appears as if there are lions everywhere. With young that are pretty much grown they won't follow right in mama's footsteps.

Lions cover a large territory(at least here in Idaho they do) Unless they make a kill and stay a few days to eat on it they are usually moving through their territory looking for the next kill. It is nothing for them to go 8-10 miles in one night of hunting. That is why I think you didn't see any tracks a couple days ago and now they are all over the place.

------------------

Back