Adjustable parallax scopes - What's the infinity setting really for?

I'm looking at a number of new scopes for my .243. I've narrowed it down to a Leopold or a Nikon, but that's not issue.

Both scopes are 4 x 14 variable and both scopes have adjustable parallax with the side focus.

What has always confused me about adjustable parallax scopes is what, exactly, is the "infinity" setting for? Is it:

A: A setting only to be used to focus on objects that are beyond the maximum stated focal range? Let's say the max marked range on the focus knob is 400 yards. So you would use the infinity setting for anything from 401 to infinity.

B: It's a general "quick shot" setting that gives a reasonable focus between 100 and 400 yards. In other words, when hunting where a quick shot might be necessary, you leave the scope on this setting and then you only need to fiddle with the focus if you have time.

C: Grouse, you've got it all wrong, man. The infinity setting is really for. . . [state your case here].

This need to fiddle with a focus setting has always turned me off of adjustable parralax scopes, but if you want to go beyond 12 or 14 power, almost every quality scope has it. That got me thinking that I don't really understand all the details here, including this mysterious "infinity" setting.

Thoughts?

Grouse

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: The Famous Grouse

C: Grouse, you've got it all wrong, man.

The infinity setting is really for...

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Parallax.asp

Woah. That's heavy, man.

So essentially, after I adjust the eyepiece and the parallax initially, then it is simply a matter of starting at infinity and using the focus until the object is in focus EVERY time. Correct?

Grouse.

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: The Famous Grouse

C: Grouse, you've got it all wrong, man.

The infinity setting is really for...

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Parallax.asp

Woah. That's heavy, man.

So essentially, after I adjust the eyepiece and the parallax initially, then it is simply a matter of starting at infinity and using the focus until the object is in focus EVERY time. Correct?

Grouse.

Yes...

If you have a side adjust scope, start at infinity and then to the range you want.

If you have an AO, just go to the range you want, no need to go to infinity first.

Originally Posted By: willy1947The only riflemen that use that setting shoot a 220 swift.

Ya' gotta love it! I agree 110%

The LOWEST power on the variable scope for my .220 Swift is 30x
wink.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Back