.22 mag. loads for yotes and bobcats

I had thought about them. Posted velocity is a little lower than i like. Was really looking at the win. 40gr jhp, cci 40gr jhp, cci 40gr gamepoint and maybe the win. supreme 34gr jhp. The 34 gr shoots great in my ruger varmint with 24 inch barrel. Im a little worried about penatration with that bullet though

I'm shooting Hornady's 30 gr. v-max because that's what my Savage shoots best, by a lot. I tested 9 different ammo brands and 8 of them ranged from .8" to 3" groups at 80 yards. The 30gr Hornday groups can always be covered with a nickle.

It's a great fox load and would be a great bobcat load also if we could shoot them here, and so long as I don't hit too much bone it does the job cleanly on coyote, but I'd really prefer shooting something a bit heavier and tougher at the coyotes.

Originally Posted By: MO1It's a great fox load and would be a great bobcat load also if we could shoot them here

Our bob cat season is about shut down for the year the quota is almost full same with mountain lion... Wolf is do to close today too.

The CCI Game Point blows them all away on penetration weight retension so it would be the one Id go with. Ive taken 2 coyotes with the Game Points and DRT 1 at 25yds the other around 65yds. Also got a big coon and it worked good.Ive been using the 22 magnum for yotes for years and years and I think this is my new best all around go to round!

Ive been doing a lot of looking at ballistic stuff since I want to shoot my .22mag at a 25 yard indoor range when I get it to sight it in and get it as close as possible at 100 yards. here is some info that I came up with on the 3 loads I have ready to test.

45 Grain Win Dynapoint - 1575 fps muzzle 240 Ft/lbs Muzzle
1162 fps 100 yds 135 ft/lbs 100 yds

40 Grain CCI MaxiMag Jhp - 1975 fps muzzle 312 ft/lbs muzzle
1337 fps 100 yds 159 ft/lbs 100 yds

30 Grain win supreme vmax- 2250 fps muzzle 337 ft/lbs muzzle
1449 fps 100 yds 150 ft/lbs 100 yds

federal 50 grain is only 5 ft/lbs higher than the cci at 100 yards and you can find the cci everywhere on the shelves. if it shoots good out of your gun id grab the maxi mags and go for it. keep it under 100 yards.

Originally Posted By: cdupuyWinchester Gray Box HP

+1

Winchester Grey Box Hp is your answer, no poly tip bullet is good for breaking shoulder blades.

Win Supreme 34g hp does not even kill feral cats reliably, expands too quickly.

Jeff,

Ive been doing a lot of looking at ballistic stuff since I want to shoot my .22mag at a 25 yard indoor range when I get it to sight it in and get it as close as possible at 100 yards. here is some info that I came up with on the 3 loads I have ready to test.

45 Grain Win Dynapoint - 1575 fps muzzle 240 Ft/lbs Muzzle
1162 fps 100 yds 135 ft/lbs 100 yds

40 Grain CCI MaxiMag Jhp - 1975 fps muzzle 312 ft/lbs muzzle
1337 fps 100 yds 159 ft/lbs 100 yds

30 Grain win supreme vmax- 2250 fps muzzle 337 ft/lbs muzzle
1449 fps 100 yds 150 ft/lbs 100 yds

federal 50 grain is only 5 ft/lbs higher than the cci at 100 yards and you can find the cci everywhere on the shelves. if it shoots good out of your gun id grab the maxi mags and go for it. keep it under 100 yards.

Foot pounds do not are meaningless in this application.

The Dynapoint leads up a barrel fast, 30g won't penetrate, and CCI's may work the very best of the 3.

I have had 3 ruger 22 Mags and a Mauser 201, none of them would shoot the 50g Federal, about 4" at 100 yard groups. Good thing, because the 50g Federal does not have a flat shooting trajectory.

With 22 mags on predators, shot placement is key, then you have got to have good penetration.

Last edited:
I wasn't really saying you could use all of those I just wanted to show that the heavy bullet doesn't really mean squat since it doesn't retain much more energy than the 40 grainer.

And thanks for the heads up on the dynapoints. those will just stay in "stock" I got them on sale for under $7 a box.

anyone else notice you are getting into 17hmr land with that 30 grainer fps wise at almost double the bullet weight.

Originally Posted By: Jeff V

anyone else notice you are getting into 17hmr land with that 30 grainer fps wise at almost double the bullet weight.

Ever notice how bad they dump energy at range and how bad they are for penetration? Ballistically the light bullets suck.

CB

I think energy figures are way over rated. Its about shot placement and bullrt performance. I need a bullet that will expand nicely at100 yrds and not breakup at 25 yrds. It should also be able to reach the vitals from most any angle. An exit hole would also be great. I figure a big yote is going to run some with a .22 mag. Tracking one down will probably be easier with 2 holes. Maybe im asking for too much. I have a 25-06 i love for yotes. But there are some places i cant use the big gun.

Back