Lion call location

VCinRI

What would you say is the most promising sign that would prompt you to call an area with hopes of a lion, tracks? terrain? prey animals? I know a fresh kill is a sure sign but aren't they seldom found?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Vinny

------------------
yotewalk.gif

I've never hunted lions, but I'd say fresh scat and tracks are your best bet. Game animals in an area is not always a sure-fire sign. They eat deer, and turkeys,(as well as other game) and both of those are found just about everywhere. Turkeys are in 49 of the 50 states, and deer...well, I dunno, but they're pretty abundant.

IF you find the scat and tracks, that are pretty recent, that means a lion was/is there, you can search for travel routes, sign of it's prey, and set up for a call
smile.gif

Terrain, what kind of terrain? I live in
southern Idaho(lots of sage). The desert south of here is is mostly rolling hills, some rocky canyons.

VCinRI,
Contrary to what you may have been told, lion kills are very easy to find for the man that knows what to look for and more importantly, WHERE to look. I just recently was able to show a client several lion kills in a very small area.

JSW,
Not very good terrain is it?
Steve

------------------
www.azpredatorhunts.com

VCinRI, In lion country that gets enough snow fall for tracking finding a kill isn't as difficult as it may seem. I've spent quite a bit of time behind hounds running cats and also just walking cat tracks. Tracks will often lead back to a old kill site or lead you to a new fresh one. Lions will spend several days around a fresh kill in winter eating then going off to bed down away from the kill. Watch and listen for the ravens and other birds that will scavenge off the kill. You can easily hear and see these birds at long distances. An older experienced lion has no trouble keeping its belly full when deer and elk are concentrated on winter range.

A couple of years ago a good friend of mine who has done a bunch of cat chasing found five calf elk kills all within a mile of each other. They later treed a mature male lion who had been making short work of these calf elk in the deep snow.

------------------

My suggestion is to find the prey, be it mule deer, or bighorn sheep, as in parts of the Sierras. That will tell you what the terrain looks like, if you have no other clue. I think you will find that the lions follow the deer. Not always, but it's a safe bet.

Good hunting. LB

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Last season Will and I hunted one particular area that comes to mind. It was a large open desert area with a few washes, in every wash there were lion tracks, but the one thing that got me thinking was there was a single large hill may be 4 to 5 hundred feet above the floor that consisted of large jumbled boulders. It was the only contour for a long ways. I was thinking it might be a good place to perhaps watch the south slope at daybreak, maybe see one walking in. Am I wishful thinking here? Will a cat rest in the same place every day? would they prefer to rest high up looking down? do they usually rest in thick cover or open sunny areas?

Sorry for all the ?'s

Thanks,

Vinny

------------------
yotewalk.gif

[This message has been edited by VCinRI (edited 12-28-2001).]

Sounds good, to a point. That is a prime location, as described. However, in my personal experience, you will not call him "up hill". He will come DOWN to a call, but it is very difficult for you to sit up on top and expect a cat to approach your stand. Call, and target that hill, if you like, but do it from somewhere along the base; whatever looks good. I don't know the reasons for it, but that's what I think.

Good hunting. LB

Back