.223 varget loads

Widow maker 223

I usually use benchmark, but had to settle for varget last time i went to get powder. The varget seems to fill up the cases fast. I started at a base load and only went up a grain with 53gr v max and there wasnt much room left. Anyone shoot a closer to max load with varget a little on the compressed side. I know pressure is what you look for but with my 16" barrel i will probably be wasting it anyhow.

Just tried some Varget under 55g TNTs yesterday. I have shot it under some other bullets before with good results. I was using 27.0 grains and it filled the case up to about half neck. The load shot well and functioned fine in my Sportical.

Tried some xterminator with the same bullet today and it is much less bulkier only filling the case about 2/3rds(24.0g) but the load was very accurate and functioned fine. Also it pours like water so I will have to set up my measure to throw it. TTT

I think you will find Varget on the "dirty"side also,I did and switched to TAC and its great with 55gr nos bt.

I shoot 55gr Nosler BTs behind some Varget in my Howa.

Most accurate load was near the top of the load chart, but chronoed a bit slow. If I remember correctly, in the 2800-2900 FPS range.

I've been using a Surplus variant of H335 and have had great success with it. That would be a nice go to for that range pill. Or even BL-C(2)

Originally Posted By: 1up5downWhat powder would you guys reccomend for 50gr.-55gr. pills?

Hey Dave

Varget has worked the very best as far as accuracy with my various .223 rifles. It is not the hottest performer as far as speed goes, but it has given me the best accuracy and low pressures to boot. 26 grains of it with a 50 to 55 grain bullet have killed lots of small brown furry animals out of my guns.

Thanks guys. I have Varget, Benchmark, 8208, and some H322. Since I'm new to loading, I'll try what works for you guys first.

Both my RRA 223 and CZ 527 are partial to 25gr Varget and 55gr Vmax. The AR will shoot under .5" if I do my part. CZ .75" all day long. Can't believe I found a load that both my 223's like.

Back