bears

It's a joke. I bought one a couple years ago. It's cheaply made, and the tape that comes with it REALLY SUCKS!! The tape is about 90 seconds of telling you how to use the call, and the rest is advertisement for some lame soaps and shampoos he also sells
rolleyes.gif
. I was not impressed. The entire technique is based around spotting a bear, and then calling it to you. If I can spot a bear without a call, I'll either:
A. Shoot it. or
B. stalk it, then shoot it.

Seriously, it's not worth the money. I spent a few days trying to get a decent sound out of it, then took it back. Hope this helps.

thanks for the information and sorry it took so long to get back with you guys we`ve been gone.. the few people around here that i talked to thought it was a great call..... but maybe they have`nt used it yet. anyway thanks for the help it may have saved me some money
deputy
Originally posted by BadMedicine:
It's a joke. I bought one a couple years ago. It's cheaply made, and the tape that comes with it REALLY SUCKS!! The tape is about 90 seconds of telling you how to use the call, and the rest is advertisement for some lame soaps and shampoos he also sells
rolleyes.gif
. I was not impressed. The entire technique is based around spotting a bear, and then calling it to you. If I can spot a bear without a call, I'll either:
A. Shoot it. or
B. stalk it, then shoot it.

Seriously, it's not worth the money. I spent a few days trying to get a decent sound out of it, then took it back. Hope this helps.

I've called in 12 bears so far. None last year cause I didn't get out for bears. I call one in about every 40 times I try. I have called then in with a javelina call--once, a cow elk call from Primos-- once, and 10 times with a Circe 3 in 1 call. I like the Circe mid and long range and really crank it up and put ALOT of agony into the call. I call NON-STOP for one hour, although most of my bears have showed up anywhere from 6 minutes to 40 minutes. I normally hear the really big boars coming in. The others are not there one second and the next they are staring at you from 15 yards, can be alittle unnerving...
redface.gif
) in heavy ferns. I always put a watch out in front of me so I can keep an eye on the time without taking my eyes of the surrounding area. Always seems like I've called alot longer than 1 hour. I have the Wayne call and I think it produces good raspy sound. My problem with the call is it wears me out. The Circe is much easier to call for long periods of time. Fred

I have the circe 3in 1 call too. I like it but
all the sudden the two loudest reeds sound the same as each other. Have you experinced that yet? Have you tried a bear cub call yet?
Muleskinner

Hi Muleskinner, yes I have had the same results with mine, hasn't hurt so far. No I haven't tried the bear cub. I usually go with a bow and from what I understand most times when bears come into the bear cub they are very agitated...so no I haven't tried it yet.
redface.gif
) Fred

I have the one month old and four month old bear cub distress on my WT caller. I have had some good results with these sounds.
I do not care to kill another bear and only use these when I have someone here that wants to get a bear. Some of my more exciting bear stands have been with these sounds. I think these would work very well in the spring, but I have never drawn a spring bear tag. Our best bear areas here are in the timber and thick cover, the same areas we hunt bobcats. I have called more bears with the bear cub distress than any other sound, but it is hard to get the caller
more than 30 to 40 yards away from me. I can get the bears in close, but they almost always wind me before I get them out where I can see them. I have only had one bear slip in close on me before I knew it was there, and that happened at night while calling bobcats with a fawn distress.
That bear came in behind us. He was 15 to 20 yards away when he winded us. He scared the crap out of us when he EXPLODED through the timber making his exit. I have had fun with the bear cub distress when I have a new guy here calling bobcats at night with me. We can't shoot bears at night, but it is fun to show guys how well they respond to that sound.
On one occasion, I had three bears coming in from three different directions. They were making lots of noise, and my friend kept whispering, "Turn the light on, turn the light on."
Bob

Originally posted by BobR:
I have the one month old and four month old bear cub distress on my WT caller. I have had some good results with these sounds.
I do not care to kill another bear and only use these when I have someone here that wants to get a bear. Some of my more exciting bear stands have been with these sounds. I think these would work very well in the spring, but I have never drawn a spring bear tag. Our best bear areas here are in the timber and thick cover, the same areas we hunt bobcats. I have called more bears with the bear cub distress than any other sound, but it is hard to get the caller
more than 30 to 40 yards away from me. I can get the bears in close, but they almost always wind me before I get them out where I can see them. I have only had one bear slip in close on me before I knew it was there, and that happened at night while calling bobcats with a fawn distress.
That bear came in behind us. He was 15 to 20 yards away when he winded us. He scared the crap out of us when he EXPLODED through the timber making his exit. I have had fun with the bear cub distress when I have a new guy here calling bobcats at night with me. We can't shoot bears at night, but it is fun to show guys how well they respond to that sound.
On one occasion, I had three bears coming in from three different directions. They were making lots of noise, and my friend kept whispering, "Turn the light on, turn the light on."
Bob

Is the WT call electronic? the last electronic I used was an 8 track , and yes its been awhile... deputy

I purchased the Carlton call about 2 years ago. Used it a lot since then and have called in 00000 bears. Called in 1 coyote w/ it on accident but was too out of breath and exhausted to do anything about it! I did call in 1 bear w/ a very old cottontail in distress call that I have no idea who the manufacture is. Havn't given up on the Carlton call yet as I seem to have a hard time leaving it behind when I go after a bear.

BobR,,Thats some great success I am impressed! How long do you play a segment before you pause and how long do you call from your stand? Do you begin with a split reed mouth call and if so how do you start out your calling??Here in Montana we can't use dogs or bait so I spend lots of time glassing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~ Jay ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jay, I rarely use mouth calls any more. And that is really not too much success since I have not been able to get most of the bears out where I can see them. Rich Cronk and I were on stand together in September, 2000. I was using the bear cub distress. Played a few bawls and then paused to listen, then played it again. We heard rocks slide downhill from us. A few minutes later, we heard slow deliberate footsteps coming downhill right behind us. Leaves and pine needles crunching and twigs snapping. Then there was silence. the bear never came on in, and we never heard it leave.
Bob

BobR, You must be in a good area. I was just interested in your calling process. I can duplicate a bear cub on my critr-call fairly well but haven't listened to an insruction tape
on the subject yet. Thanks for the info.
Muleskinner~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back