Which 44 mag lever action rifle??

Trapper Luke

Plan on buying a 44 mag lever action here directly and was always gonna go with Marlin Model 1894. I got to talking to one of the guys at the local gun shop and he was tellin me he sold a few over christmas break and bout every one of them got returned and got sent off to get fixed? He was saying Marlin aint producing the same quailty of guns they use to? Which is something I noticed when I bought a Marlin 22 lever action and have been having problems with it.
Anyways I was just wondering if anyone has been hearing this same thing bout Marlin? If its true who else makes a stainless 44 mag lever action rifle that is of good quality?

Thanks,
Luke

I have heard the same thing about the newer Marlins. Dont know if it is true or not. I would look for an older one at a gun show. I have had several over the years in 44 and 357 and had no issues. As far as stainless steel...I know Winchester made one some years back. My wife has the trapper version 44 magnum in stainless.

Find an older Marlin, they are great little rifles. The new ones since Remington bought them out - not so much.

Skip the Rossi I have had two both needed a lot of smoothing up, but I was using them for Cowboy action shooting, and sometimes you really need to crank the lever fast. They also didn't like to feed the shorter cartridges 38's out of the 357 and 44spcl's out of the 44mag switched to the Marlins much smoother and no feed problems also tried a Winchester Legacy it didn't like to feed either, I would look for a older Marlin also.

The older Marlins before Remington bought them (Remlins are junk) are super. Id look for one of those, Barrels have the JM on them also.
I had a 1970s Marlin "texan" 44 mag, wish I would of kept it.

I've got a Rugar 96/44 and it is really an ideal brush gun. Got a few deer with it. Small fast aiming. Don't know if they are even made anymore, maybe someone will blog about that.

Win 94 AE 44 Rem Mag

1311131773.jpg

Originally Posted By: Yukon21I've got a Rugar 96/44 and it is really an ideal brush gun. Got a few deer with it. Small fast aiming. Don't know if they are even made anymore, maybe someone will blog about that.

+1

I bought a marlin 45-70 guide gun a couple years ago and it to a few trips back to "Remlin" to get fixed....Mag feed issues,extraction issues..

I am sort of in the mood for an older Marlin also. I have a Rossi in .44-40, and while it is a good shooter, it is not a MARLIN.... Ugly wood, and the action needs to be used awhile before it smooths up.

ive got a marlin 1895 in the 450 and also have had some issues with the magazine not wanting to feed right, pretty easy fixer. but other than that the shoots good, and have killed quite a few deer with it. if you could get your hand on one of the older 1 ones like the 444 you have got a gem.

Trapper Luke, I bought a used Marlin 1894 in 357 the other day and think its a great gun. Its an older made one without cross bolt safety. You might look on KSL.com I see marlins on there quite often. I think they started making stainless ones around 2002. Good luck

I have had a model 94 win in 44mag. for years and never had a bit of trouble with it. although i did add a reciever peep to help these ageing eyes.

Back