223 flattest shooting bullet

tjonh2001

i am wondering what you guys think is the flatest shooting bullet for the 223. i am shooting my rra 16inch. wondering what would be the best bullet for coyote, fox and bobcat. i live and hunt in wide open areas and have had shots at over 400 yards. right now im shooting 60gr vmax blackhills. is there a better bullet choice for shooting these animals at extended ranges.

For coyote hunting I used to use the 40 grain vmax because the higher velocity makes it the flattest shooting bullet out to 3-400 yards. After that it loses steam and the heavier bullets win. But the .223 isn't a great 'long range' coyote gun. If you are wanting to shoot past 400 yards pretty regularly then I'd choose something with a little more knockdown power like a .243.

The 53vmax should shoot faster and flatter than your 60vmax. The 53 has a higher b.c. than the 60. If you don't reload you could try the hornady superformance 53 .223. Although I don't know how they shoot at 400 yards.

I think it would be the 53 v max. It beats the 40 hands down. A light projectile sheds velocity faster than a heavier one. The 53 will buck the wind better and have a little bit more kinetic energy. You will be able to push the 53 faster than the 60 and the high bc is king.

Originally Posted By: leanporkerThe 53vmax should shoot faster and flatter than your 60vmax. The 53 has a higher b.c. than the 60. If you don't reload you could try the hornady superformance 53 .223. Although I don't know how they shoot at 400 yards.

He is right for sure that 53 gr superformance is the stuff

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223I think it would be the 53 v max. It beats the 40 hands down. A light projectile sheds velocity faster than a heavier one. The 53 will buck the wind better and have a little bit more kinetic energy. You will be able to push the 53 faster than the 60 and the high bc is king.

He is right on. 53 gr Vmax Hornady makes a great factory ammo in 53 gr superformance for the 223

Speed isn't everything. Find the round that shoots best from YOUR gun.
Mine prefer the 55 V-max. 1.2" high at 100, zero at 200, 3" low at 300.

Point and shoot for most coyotes.

And at what angle up/down?
confused.gif
That's the hottest 223 I've heard of.

I have always liked the nosler ballistic tips, there a bit more money then the rest but with the same powder charge they always fly faster through the chronograph than the rest of the bullets.

Originally Posted By: cjg_beefFor coyote hunting I used to use the 40 grain vmax because the higher velocity makes it the flattest shooting bullet out to 3-400 yards. After that it loses steam and the heavier bullets win. But the .223 isn't a great 'long range' coyote gun. If you are wanting to shoot past 400 yards pretty regularly then I'd choose something with a little more knockdown power like a .243.

When im huntng areas that i think the animals will hold up i will shoot my 243 with 105amax, 243wssm 85sierra or my 7mmwsm with 180 bergers.

the reason that i am asking about my 223 is that i dont like to reload for it, i just like to grab it and go. this rifle is set up with a suppressor and a nf 2.5x10. this is my close range working rifle. sometimes i get one to hold and would like be able to roll them. this isnt a dedicated long range rifle just a good calling rifle.

thanks for the info as always

Back