357 Mag. on Bear ??

Merle

Some of the areas that I call hold a reasonable number of Bear. The largest handgun that I own is a S&W 357 Mag. I usually carry a 223 while calling coyotes.
If a Good sized black Bear were to respond to the call would you use the 357 Mag or would you just let him go on his way?

------------------
Good Hunting To Ya !!
Merle

Although I carry a 357 mag as a side arm, I would not recommend it as your primary weapon. Granted , a perfect shot w/ a 22 would kill a bear, it is not always likely that the perfect situation will occur. I would recommend nothing smaller than a 270.
Black bears are not as tuff as their cousins up north but they are still capable of doing a lot of damage when they are mad. I will garuntee you that a misplaced shot w/ a 357 would make one mad.

Within 50 yards a shot with a .357 will prolly do more than a .270. If you can aim well, a shot to the neck, heart/lungs/ or shoulder will be plenty for a Blackbear at fairly close range. I defiantly wouldn't shoot at one with a pistol as far as I would a rifle though...your call.

ds2 & Badmedicine,
I may not have created a clear picture of my intent. I carry my 223 as a primary weapon for calling coyotes. If I were to also carry my 357 in the event that a Bear were to show up as I'm calling Coyotes, within 50 yards and provided I can shoot straight is the 4 in. bl. 357 (my old service revolver) up to the task?

------------------
Good Hunting To Ya !!
Merle

[This message has been edited by Merle (edited 10-26-2001).]

Merle,
If you get a bear to within 50 yards, just shoot him with the 223!!! He will not go far I can assure you. Pick your shot placement well(lungs) and he will be yours. I would prefer the 223 rifle to a 357 handgun shot, unless you are a fantastic handgun shot.
Steve

------------------
www.azpredatorhunts.com

Screw the lungs, double-tap that ol boy a couple times in the neck with the .223. He'll go down cold. Yeah within 50 either will do...I think it's about an even trade off...the pistol you have less accuracey, but a little more punch, the rifle you have perfect aim, but doesn't hit as hard. I think either ould be plenty, but if you shoot one, and it goes down...wait a little while, and reload both guns before approaching. I'd walk up to it with the pistoil out and ready, because at super close range it'll be far more effective, and easier to aim in a hurry.

If you have a thirty round magazine, use it and then reload. I have called in a bear once and all I can say is that I am glad I saw him and he never saw me.

I recently read an article where a "well known" gun writer suggested a 45ACP for ALL bears! This included black and brown bears. While there are no brownies here, we do have some rather large black bears. I've got a 357 Mag and I used to carry it with 180 gr Federal Cast Core loads. I now carry a 44 Mag with Federal 300 gr Cast core loads. You can never have too much gun. MI VHNTR

Merle,

The real question is,,,is the bear a threat to you or trying to eat your ass? if so I'd use what ever I had in my hand then when that was empty for to the next closest thing, even if that was a rock!

Joking aside, a 357 with a good bullet will do the job, as a friend us to say with bears it's a matter of penetration! Some times a bear will have a lot of crap in his hide on top of a good amount of fat, covering heavy bone before you can even think of getting into the vitals, and they don't alway offer the best shot angel.
Not the perfect picture for a light weight varmint bullet out of a 223

I have seen a 45 auto 200 grain hard cast semi wad cutter HG68 in front of 7.gr of unique enter above the left eye and stop just under the skin behind below the right ear. This was at 7 yard. I also have seen a 135 gr FMJ out of a 38 Super punch clean through both sides ear to ear at 12 yards, Both Bears dropped hard. as others have said it has a lot to do with shot placement. if you go for a head shot you have to cut the apple to the core for good results

Personally I'd make the shot with either if is was out to get me, but if I called him in and wanted to take him for his hide,, I'd slip that 223 between the eye and the ear, for any shot over 15 yards. That is unless your pistol groups are smaller that your rifle groups out to 50 yards.

------------------

Keep your hooks sharp and you powder dry.
Wildoats

"The expactations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools."
Confucius

merle,
if you own a 243 there are bullets that work very well on coyotes that also make pretty fair big game loads. the sierra 85 bthp comes to mind first.
p.s. i have personal experience with this bullet one one bear. no problem

[This message has been edited by john w (edited 11-10-2001).]

I would have to agree with Wildoats. I have taken black bear and if you hit them in the lungs they jelly up inside and don't move farther than 10 yards. If you get any vital shot with either gun you are going to get a kill. Mine just happened to be taken with .30-06 and 165gr Partition, but it punched a clean hole in one side and out the other. As long as you don't hit the shoulder with the .223 you will have one dead bear!

I agree with using the .223
I have a Ruger mini 14 in that caliber with a 20 round clip, I use it also for calling yotes.
I carry a Glock 9mm for my sidearm, 18 shot clip.
Last Feb I called a cougar and one shot in the head blew right through the skull with 55 grain softpoints and she never knew what hit her.
I figure as fast as it's moving that should hold true for bear.

Back